Really struggling with portion control

Options
I am not giving up carbs, fasting or doing any other trendy diet. I’m simply just trying to eat like a “normal” person. Eat everything but stay within my calorie range. It blows my mind how small actual serving sizes are! I feel like I’m not satisfied unless I have more than 1 serving of everything. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, and/or fat help most people feel full. Which one(s) work best for you is something you will need to figure out through trial and error. Some people also feel full when they eat a large volume of low calorie foods, like vegetables. If you do this, just make sure you are getting the minimum calories, protein, and fat too.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You may need to play around with your macros a bit. I find it much easier to stay in my calorie range with lower carbs, but higher protein and fats than I do with a higher carb diet. Still am definitely "hungry" before meal-time, but it's not as long and no where near as miserable with my current macro alignment.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    yes! It's a weird adjustment seeing how much a "suggested serving" is compared to how much I used to eat of it. like crackers for example. A serving size is like 4 crackers :D However with that said, you don't have to eat the suggested serving size as long as you stay at your calorie target overall. A lot of snacks, I tend to portion out the suggested serving size though, just for simplicity.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    It was a shocker at the beginning but it didn’t take long to adjust. You might want to try more foods you can eat in volume like many veggies and fruits. Just keep at it.

Good luck with your journey! 🍀
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Only advice I can give is to try finding a way to convince your mind, yourself that less tastes and is just as good as more. My own example is peanut butter which I have had a life long love affair with. Once upon a time, I would just slather copious amounts of it on my toast or sandwiches. Then upon getting on, or returning to calorie and nutrition I began seeing how much extra fat and calories I was needlessly consuming and why I was buying PB far more often than one person ought to. Well, that is where I learned that my enjoyment did not suffer using less and my grocery dollar stretched just a little further on; and while far from perfect and and get a "hankering", that is when a full 2 tablespoons would be my "cheat treat". Trust me, I do! Using a digital food scale (if you don't already) could be helpful. If you portion out your meals (I try to do mine around 8 oz.). It will rarely be exact unless you are really meticulous about it. If your final portion is a fraction or three over, I don't see that as detrimental.
    Well, I hope there is something here you find useful.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I’m always hungry! I generally eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and two small snacks at specific times of the day. I’m bulking at the moment so eating more inbetween these now.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yeah, portion size was definitely an eye opener when my wife and I launched our diets 6 months ago. We used to drop 16 oz of dry spaghetti into boiling water and cook up 18-20 meatballs with a jar of tomato sauce and a jar of tomatoes. It was a bit ... "informative" to find out how many calories that was LOL Now we split 6 oz of pasta and have 4 meatballs each. Felt like insane torture the first week. Then you get used to it. Keep plugging away, and be sure to cut back anything that is both high calorie AND not satiating, like empty white refined carbs. That'll help a lot.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There have been a number of studies linking *smell* to feelings of fullness. I'm not sure it works for everyone or if it's even a useful factoid for many in the convenience society, but I find that when I spend half an hour *cooking* my food before I eat it, I feel full faster. It's actually something I have to watch out for when I'm switching often between cooking for myself and eating out or eating left overs. I have to weigh out my food either way, because the sensation difference is so strong and not necessarily properly related to what I've actually ingested.

If you're into heavily seasoned foods, you may notice this more than if your foods are less strongly scented... If you're like my husband and can't smell a whole lot, you may also think I'm a bit crazy. ;-)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Takes the guesswork and inability to control portions out of the equation.

Read this article, as the Food scale sticky is no longer working: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/want-lose-weight-weigh-your-food-week-ncna772476
  • BackcountryMountainGal
    Options
    Eat slowly and mindfully without distractions (tv, internet, reading etc). This really helps with overall satisfaction
    when you concentrate on how the food feels/tastes/smells. Drink a glass of water before your meal or have soup broth which will help fill you up.

Whenever you reduce your caloric intake, there is an adjustment period your body goes through and you WILL feel hungry because it's not getting what it is accustomed to.

When I've eaten all my macros for a meal or a day and still feel unsatisfied, I use distraction techniques that keep me busy and I forget about my stomach - go for tea with a friend, go for a walk, workout, clean the house, meditate with deep breathing, go to bed (lol). Also, thirst is often mistaken for hunger, so I focus on more water intake. The bonus if you do a work out, then you can eat a few more calories ;)

It's hard to go over on protein and fiber, so if I do eat over my allotted calories for the day, I choose a high protein-high fiber snack.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Start with the nutritionist told me. You have a plate of food. You have a fist of protein, a fist of carbs, and a whole hand of greens (vegetables.)
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Your stomach will shrink and you will get more accustomed to eating less. One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread yet is volume eating. Some people eat foods that are low calorie and can eat large volumes to feel full. Search for volume eating and you will find threads with good suggestions if this might help you. I am not a volume eater routinely but have hungry days sometimes. The large amount of broccoli below was used in place of rice with this entire. The whole thing was only 350 calories. And I was not able to finish it all due to feeling stuffed!

tb0ybjm1ed6l.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    There have been a number of studies linking *smell* to feelings of fullness. I'm not sure it works for everyone or if it's even a useful factoid for many in the convenience society, but I find that when I spend half an hour *cooking* my food before I eat it, I feel full faster. It's actually something I have to watch out for when I'm switching often between cooking for myself and eating out or eating left overs. I have to weigh out my food either way, because the sensation difference is so strong and not necessarily properly related to what I've actually ingested.

If you're into heavily seasoned foods, you may notice this more than if your foods are less strongly scented... If you're like my husband and can't smell a whole lot, you may also think I'm a bit crazy. ;-)

Like Elizabeth, I'm a fast eater, so I'm usually still feeling kind of hungry when my first portion is consumed.

I like her "cook it yourself" option as a way to enjoy some of the food's sensory pleasures before eating, but I also like to start that cooking by making myself a plate of raw veggies to graze-munch while I do the other cooking. I like lots of different ones, the classics like cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery, sweet pepers, but also less common ones like celeriac, jicama, hakurei turnips, and more. A mountain of veggies on a salad plate is usually only 50 calories or so, and one can sprinkle them with seasoned salt or herbs, or use a flavored-vinegar dip for extra flavor.

This combination of the low-cal, nutritious, but high volume and crunchy snack, plus the delay that comes with cooking, helps to give the snack time to register as satisfying, and reduce the odds that I'll gobble a dinner portion and want to run right back for more.

Another option is to add an after-dinner cup of hot herb tea (or some other no/low calorie beverage that you like), not so much to add fullness, but to create that delay that helps satiation register.