Vegan Protein

Quick background: used to use whey iso proteins but my lactose intolerance caught up to me; as well as still being relatively new to using supplements.

I switched to vegan proteins and just out of curiosity because Google hasn't been much help. Should I take the vegan protein before or after my workouts for better results?

Replies

• rnelson928
    rnelson928 Posts: 3 Member
    Does it even matter?
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Doesn't really matter. Ideally, you will have some protein every 3-5hrs or so, but you don't need to take it acutely either right before or right after a workout (although you can if you wish).
  • rnelson928
    rnelson928 Posts: 3 Member
    So it just comes down to preference and availability then?
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    The fact that it's vegan protein versus dairy based shouldn't affect the timing. If you found that eating whey before versus after working out is beneficial for you, the same schedule should work with vegan sources!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    For a workout your body needs carbs for energy so taking protein prior to a workout isn't going to provide tangible value. Post-workout protein is helpful for muscle repair and restoration so after a hard workout that's when I will have a protein-based smoothie. There are reported benefits of protein and carbs within 30 minutes post-workout for optimal recovery.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eat-after-workout#section2

I have found Orgain protein to be one of the better tasting vegan protein options. It uses a pea-brown rice-chia seed protein blend, 21g protein per serving.