Building up Chest with Rounded Shoulders

Options
My name is Sam, I'm 18 years old and I'm looking to build up my chest but my shoulders are rounded.

I've been advised from personal trainers, physiotherapists, etc. to split my workouts between back and legs, but no chest. I'm looking to build on my chest but I'm worried against it because chest workouts involve pushing movements and I'm also trying to pull back my shoulders. I've been told by a trainer at my gym not to.

If anyone knows if I can conduct chest workouts or any chest workouts that aren't going to affect my rounded shoulders please let me know

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Can you explain what you mean by "rounded"? Is this due to recent trama or disease?

If not to effect a condition with a abrasive movement, more info is needed

Also what is the reason why no chest?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Depending on your level of shoulder rounding the trainers and PTs are probably right. Lots of shoulder rounding out there due to lifestyle (poor cell phone posture, jobs/schoolwork where we are sitting hunched over a computer. IMO, these are the big issues. Another issue is the excessive love given to chest work as opposed to back.

Listen to the professionals, especially the therapist that are examining you in person. After some targeted work on the shoulder rounding, I'm pretty sure they will let you go back to some direct chest work. Remember too that rounded shoulders will make anyone's chest look smaller.

Best of luck.