Share your Near Relapse Stories: Happy To Be Back On Track

foreverblissful
foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Ever since halloween, there's been so much candy floating around my jobs office!

I'm not gonna lie, I went a little overboard with hoarding all of the the mini snickers, reeses and babyruths. It got to the point where I was eating a
minimum of 4ish mini chocolates everyday for two weeks, which doesnt seem like much, but I'm happy my boyfriend called me out on it reminding me that cavities exist lol. It didn't affect my weightloss much at all, and may have kinda fit into my calorie goal but I was so focused on that, I forgot about my general health. 😅 Not trying to get any cavities, anytime soon. I know this might sound like an overexaggeration, but honestly, thats how I slowly fall back into old habits. By making it a habit to "only eat a few" most of the week, then it becomes everyday, and then a few becomes a lot more than what it used to be!

Long story short, I gave away the remining candy I had and switched it out for healthy snacks & sweets! I forgot how much I love fruit, celery and hummus, and nuts!

Have you ever caught yourself on a near relapse?

Edit: I do have health restrictions that prevent me from eating processed sugary foods without compromising my health, so my tolerance for sugary things is a lot lower than most normal people.

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I relapsed on Halloween. I did it one day. Medium pepperoni pizza (I only ate two slices because it was mostly saucy -- Eeuw) and I overdid it on candy. Reese's (milk chocolate and white chocolate), Snickers and KitKats!

I gave away my candy to college students that I teach, and my husband to the office. I didn't gain anything.

I did eat sisig (pork hash), bbq pork, and homemade chicharrones on Nov. 1-2. I gained +2-3 lbs but now I'm back on track.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I've had two close calls. One was after 2 weeks on vacation where despite working out every day I still overate enough to gain weight. It took time to get back in the swing of things with workouts and getting cravings under control.

The next time I had a couple binges and went a few days not working out, I was depressed after an incident and it took awhile to get back in the right headspace. I was only a few pounds from maintenance so it was an awful time to slump! I made some new recipes, upped calories and protein, and got back to routine even though my heart wasn't in it at first.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I relapsed on Halloween. I did it one day. Medium pepperoni pizza (I only ate two slices because it was mostly saucy -- Eeuw) and I overdid it on candy. Reese's (milk chocolate and white chocolate), Snickers and KitKats!

I gave away my candy to college students that I teach, and my husband to the office. I didn't gain anything.

I did eat sisig (pork hash), bbq pork, and homemade chicharrones on Nov. 1-2. I gained +2-3 lbs but now I'm back on track.

I thought you were keto?🤔
  • candylilacs
    psychod787 wrote: »

My husband and I are doing keto. That's what my relapse is for.

• lillola96
    lillola96 Posts: 16 Member
    Yep... 3 weeks all going great and then I binged for 2 days straight. Working out what causes the binge is the hardest part, because I don't usually start to binge for any reason other than I enjoy what I'm eating, then its like my brain stops working and I just eat without even really tasting it anymore until I feel sick. Getting back on track after the sugar and processed food hit was so hard, ate well yesterday and today just hope the scales don't reflect too much of what I did to myself 😔 binging sucks
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

My husband and I are doing keto. That's what my relapse is for.

Might I suggest a more sustainable approach? No insult intended, but keto is hard to maintain for looonnngggg term.
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    One day isn't a relapse. It's more like a little blip. A relapse is more like recouping 10 to 20 lbs. imho.
  • candylilacs
    I have been on MyFitPal since June 2013. I have been on this diet train since I was 10. You will never know what I know, and quite frankly, I'm sure you don't want to know it.
    Might I suggest a more sustainable approach? No insult intended, but keto is hard to maintain for looonnngggg term.

I'm sure you want to give the OP a long missive.

• Great post! and I agree.....those habits re-emerge if we do not remain aware. Glad you changed course ! Another great reminder that the roads leading to health are well travelled by alot of us...lots of commonality.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I went on vacation in France for two weeks and only gained 2 pounds but fot really used to eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. The day after I got home I was sick as a dog for almost 10 days, not a stomach thing, just a cold, so I was still eating pretty much whatever I wanted but not able to work out (I couldn’t even drive). Just as I was getting back on track I had oral surgery and was prohibited from working out for at least the first week. I didn’t have my calories back under control yet. So far I’ve gained 4 pounds, which is not a lot, but I was definitely heading in the wrong direction. I am only now back to a regular workout routine but have been bingeing off and on in the evenings. It’s been sooo hard to get my eating back under control. And we’ll be out of town with family for a week over Thanksgiving.
  • OTFOMOgirl
    OTFOMOgirl Posts: 68 Member
    I relapse all of oct. finally got serious last week. Lost 2 and half pounds. My goal is to lose the 10 pounds I gained from my hip injury
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I've been relapsing and restarting for the past year or so! Last year a lot of things happened at my job that caused a LOT of stress and I am definitely a stress eater! Made my goal of losing 55 pounds in spring of 2016, and maintained for a couple of years, give or take a few pounds. Then came the storm of 2018-19 that caused a lot of stress eating and weight gain. At this time I'm in a better place but the bad habits have crept back up on me such as getting something sweet every time I stop at the grocery store, eating the sweets that people bring into work, having a glass of wine 2-3 nights a week, etc. I will do fine for a week or two and then something derails me and I'm back to eating like crap for 2-4 weeks! I gained 5 pounds over the last three months and I just got back on it this past Monday (which I know going into the holiday season is not the best timing, but it's better than waiting until January and maybe gaining another pound or two in the meantime!). It's hard to find balance and that sweet spot of not feeling deprived yet maintaining my weight (well when I get back to a weight that I want to maintain).