IIFYM Question

So I calculated my TDEE and my macros and had a question. Are we supposed to follow what the website gave us on the protein, fat, and carbs, or use for MFP gave us? I know it says to eat one gram of protein per pound you are, and I have no problem getting to that amount of protein. But am I really supposed to eat that much? And also, do you follow calorie counting if your doing IIFYM? Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You can set your macros to whatever you want your macros to be...it's 100% dependent on your goals and lifestyle...i.e. someone who is sedentary will benefit from a lower carbs to fat and protein ratio...but someone who trains for endurance events is likely going to have a diet with many more carbs, high protein, and moderate fat.

My macros are roughly 40p/40c/20f. I used to have a higher fat intake and lower carb, but I bonk on my training if I don't get enough carbs.

Also, yes...you count calories with IIFYM. IIFYM is simply a way of saying you can diet without depriving yourself...you meet your macro goals and get your proper nutrition. There is nothing magical about IIFYM for weightloss...you won't lose weight if you are over your maintenance level of calories period...weight control is all about calories. IIFYM just says, "hey...you've gotten your nutrition in for the day...you're under calories...so go ahead and have that ice cream."
  • Thank you!