IIFYM Question

Options
So I calculated my TDEE and my macros and had a question. Are we supposed to follow what the website gave us on the protein, fat, and carbs, or use for MFP gave us? I know it says to eat one gram of protein per pound you are, and I have no problem getting to that amount of protein. But am I really supposed to eat that much? And also, do you follow calorie counting if your doing IIFYM? Thanks!

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I assume you worked your protein/carb/fat etc out at iifym.com? if so yes, you follow that protein/carb/fat

And yes, calorie counting is following your macros, because.

1g of protein & carb = 4 calories each
    1g of fat = 9 calories

so it adds up
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    1gm of protein per lb of lean body mass isn't that much and it's security to maintain your muscle. It's the most important macro.

Yes, calorie counting is still a big deal if doing IIFYM.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    1gm of protein per lb of lean body mass isn't that much and it's security to maintain your muscle. It's the most important macro.

Yes, calorie counting is still a big deal if doing IIFYM.

It's more than you need and in my experience 1g per pound of lbm is a recipe for bro farts. Thank god I'm sleeping alone tonight because I ate lots today to get a benchmark "tracking day" (I'm on the road and have to eat out mostly, and everything is in Japanese here. Meats can be measured easily and I can cook chicken breast in the hotel room water heater).

You can probably get away with .8g per lb lbm and see no difference in results, other than less sulfur emissions. You save money too. I often go way, way above 1g per pound total mass, because meat is my favorite thing to eat.