I was not logging my cups of tea

Options
Oh dear was not logging my cups of tea. It didnt even cross my mind. When i searched it its 50cals is that right? Do i need to cut down on my tea. Oh dear. X

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My teas are zero calories. It’s just flavored water. Do you put milk in it?
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    Tea without milk or sugar should be 0 calories. Just have to account for the milk and sugar that you put into each cup. I went through the same thing with coffee and tea in the past. Leaned to drink coffee black and tea plain.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There's no need to log plain tea with nothing added, since it's zero calorie. However, if you add anything to your tea, you need to log that. The 50 calorie entry you found was most likely someone's estimate of their own tea with cream and/or sugar.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Plain brewed tea only has about 2 calories per cup. Some flavored teas can have a few more depending on how they are flavored, but still less than 10. I guess if you drank a LOT of it, and you are on a very small calorie deficit, it might be worth logging. But, generally, no, just log any milk, sugar, honey, etc that you might add to it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    50 calories is a lot. I log my tea, it's usually under 5 calories per tea bag according to the database. I have yet to see calories on the box though. I drink iced tea all day then hot tea at night. I also log spices. Figure they all add up!
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that tea without sugar or cream has <4 calories; it’s 99% hot water and 1% whatever leeched out of the dried tea leaves, after all. I log it as water when I have it!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I presume you have tea with milk to get anything like 50/cal per cup.
    If you’re using a generous slug of full fat milk it’s entirely possible though realistically unlikely.
    I like my tea slightly milkier than ‘builders tea’ and use semi-skimmed milk so log about 25cal per cup. If you use semi-skimmed and drink it darker, you might be closer to 15cal per cup.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i am from Canada, and a Large steeped tea with .5 milk is 10 calories, I just noticed they are using 2% milk, i will now be asking for Skim :smile: