Elliptical VS Treadmill

Pros and cons of each? I’m looking for a living room piece. I used to love to run...years ago. Now this year, I am heavier and more achy than I ever have been. 🙄

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Elliptical if you're achey. Much lower impact.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I prefer the elliptical but I don't run.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other options are a stationary bike or a rowing maching. So many choices! If you can join a gym for a month you can try everything and see what you like. The best is to switch around, btw. Even if running is completely eliminated, walking on an incline is excellent exercise.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Rowing machine is the best overall workout. I use an elliptical or treadmill too. Try each one and see what's best for you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Overall, I feel that a treadmill is a little more versatile. It also has a basic design that will be similar across the different price points. The quality of ellipticals varies widely, as each has a different movement design. IMO there are a lot more bad ellipticals for home use than there are bad treadmills. I understand the low impact benefits of an elliptical. I would strongly encourage you to try out different models if you decide to go that way.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    It depends which you’ll actually use consistently.

I prefer a TM myself, much more bang for your buck, but I’m also a runner.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I am very happy with my elliptical. I use a treadmill at the gym, and really like it but a good one seems to be way more expensive than a decent quality elliptical. So for me it came down to price. My elliptical which cost about $500 has given me 5 good years of regular use.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    You'd be surprised how many machines end up not being used, by people who were initially enthusiastic. I suggest going to a gym for a week and spending a long time on each of the machines mentioned above, then choose the one you honestly think you'll look forward to using day after day (if any).

Most consumer machines aren't like gym machines in terms of quality & features, and some are pretty lousy, particularly ellipticals, so make sure to read reviews on Amazon, Consumer Reports, google, etc, and also search the archives here.

By the way, before using the rower, watch the form videos on Concept2's website. :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Not a big fan of stationary cardio equipment in general, but I find the elliptical to be an awkward and unnatural motion. It's a fine cardio workout, but other than that it doesn't really have any real world crossover. If I were to buy a piece of workout furniture, it would probably be a Peleton bike. I have a rowing machine, but it mostly sits there and I have to dust it every weekend.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I like the treadmill because it's a bit more versatile. Most ellipticals have a fixed stride length that won't work well for everyone or even for the same person in different situations. (If you decide to go with an elliptical, *do* look into the stride length of the various models and not just the price.) I have a treadmill and everyone on my family can use it... apparently, down to and including my dog, which wasn't really the point of the purchase, but it's hilarious that she likes to participate.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Vs rowing machine. Great low impact work and quiet , which is great if you’re in the living room.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    My basement/home gym includes a Concept2 rower and an antique Stairmaster I bought years ago reconditioned. Used reconditioned gym equipment can be cheaper and more durable than new, home targeted stuff.

I like the Stairmaster but if I were doing it today I’d probably go with an elliptical so my wife might use it too.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2019
    Expensive, but i love my Bowflex TC100. Best of both worlds if you have bad knees and can't take the impact of running on a treadmill.

Also, it takes up a lot less room then a treadmill.
  • bluffgirl67
    bluffgirl67 Posts: 158 Member
    I use an elliptical that was bought used. Years ago I used a treadmill but it was hard on my knees. The elliptical is much easier for me.