My Mom is Starting Nutrisystem

So my mom asked me what nutritionists said on how good Nutrisystem is. I'm not sure, but from research and seeing other people's comments on frozen meals, I told her this plan probably isn't the best to do. They send you frozen foods that are packed with sodium and chemicals and tell you to eat them to lose weight. Now, I'm sure you do lose weight, but it's not going to teach you how to make your own food or teach you a healthy lifestyle. My mom is using this as a jumpstart before we go on vacation, and has already ordered it. I just wanted to know your opionions on frozen meal plans or meal plans in general that claim to help you lose weight. Are there ones that are easy to follow and safe, because my mom doesn't like having to track every thing she eats because she's so busy with work.

Replies

• From my various family member's experiences it seems like those systems only work as long as you continue to use the product. Your mom may have success as long as she also learns how to prepare whole nutritious foods concurrently. Otherwise she may slip into old habits or cave in to using the nutrisystem products again.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Nutrisystem works because it provides a calorie deficit. It's like any other plan - as long as you stick with it, it will work. The problem typically comes when the person goes off the provided food and goes back to old habits. They gain the weight right back since they never learned how to do the work for themselves.

Calorie counting takes me 5 minutes a day. I too am busy with work, family life, activities, etc. So saying she's "too busy with work" isn't a good excuse. She would be better off to just eat a moderate deficit and get some exercise and lose at a slow rate. If her calorie deficit is too high with Nutrisystem, she's going to be tired, sluggish and irritable.....not to mention hungry.

But it sounds like she just wants something to lose some vanity weight for a trip. When she decides to make a sustainable change, MFP will still be here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Nutrisystem works because it provides a calorie deficit. It's like any other plan - as long as you stick with it, it will work. The problem typically comes when the person goes off the provided food and goes back to old habits. They gain the weight right back since they never learned how to do the work for themselves.

Calorie counting takes me 5 minutes a day. I too am busy with work, family life, activities, etc. So saying she's "too busy with work" isn't a good excuse. She would be better off to just eat a moderate deficit and get some exercise and lose at a slow rate. If her calorie deficit is too high with Nutrisystem, she's going to be tired, sluggish and irritable.....not to mention hungry.

But it sounds like she just wants something to lose some vanity weight for a trip. When she decides to make a sustainable change, MFP will still be here.

agreed. nutrisystem is safe because it's just food, not a collection of "sodium and chemicals". but it's *just food*, so your mom could easily look the same amount of weight shopping for herself and eating whatever she wants within the limits of her calorie deficit. MFP would be easier, cheaper, and have the benefit of getting her accustomed to to eating in a manner that she can sustain for life.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Old post I know but I had to share my input. I have a manager who did Nutrisytem and lost a lot of weight. She never gained it back either because she learned portion control.That is the main thing NS teaches you. I did it for a short while and I want to do it again when I can spend the extra money.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    I lost over 100 pounds on nutrisystem and I am keeping it off. Right now I am up about 10 pounds but i will use the tools i learned with nutrisystem to get those 10 pounds back off. If you are thinking about joining nutrisystem it works. PM me if you have any questions. I can save you money and help you get it all figured out.