Weight gain

I'm looking to try and bulk up. Any suggestions on what supplement I should take? Muscle milk? Creatine? I don't want to get big...just gain 15 pounds or so. I don't have much of an appetite...which is why I'm turning towards supplements

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    When I'm bulking I don't really take any supplements aside from protein, multivitamin and vitamin D. Creatine can be helpful for workout performance but it won't actually help you gain weight or anything (aside from maybe some water weight).

If you are having issues getting the calories in, this thread is very helpful

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited November 2019
    kmac0822 wrote: »
    I'm looking to try and bulk up. Any suggestions on what supplement I should take? Muscle milk? Creatine? I don't want to get big...just gain 15 pounds or so. I don't have much of an appetite...which is why I'm turning towards supplements

Creatine is fine to take to support your workouts if you want (I do) but it doesn't help with bulking beyond helping your workouts.

Muscle milk is just an overpriced protein shake and not a very good one (in taste or quality).

Regular whey protein (I like Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition) is plenty good enough for increasing protein (I'd shoot for around a gram per pound of bodyweight to bulk).

Beyond that, bulking just boils down to calories. You want to be in a slight surplus to allow for growth but not a big surplus or you'll just pack on fat (you can only build muscle so quickly so no point adding too much food).

If you're struggling to get enough calories, JIF peanut butter is cheaper than the "mass builder" shakes and adds calories just as well or better.

ETA: the protein suggestion above is in reference to total protein, not just from shakes.