Working to send My Hashimotos into Remission.

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and it has been a downhill spiral. My weight continues to fluctuate and I am heavier than I have been in my life. I am using a fasting meal plan, which is actually keeping me on track. Anyone having issues with their thyroid?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    edited November 2019
    Intermittent fasting may help you stay within calories, which is the key to weight management. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Not Hashi's, but regular ol' hypo, fairly severe, but fully treated with meds. Heading into year 5 of maintaining BMI 22, after about 3 decades of obesity preceding.

I sympathize with you: I understand that Hashi's can be a roller-coaster ride, until it settles out, which would be a a real challenge.

On the hypo side of the ride, it's good to realize that most of the mechanisms of scale weight gain are either water retention (so not fat), or fatigue (so reduced activity, so lower calorie expenditure), and that proper treatment should put us back in the normal range. The actual "metabolic" (BMR) penalty is fairly small based on clinical results, IMU, but of course having to comply with a reduced calorie goal is frustrating, even if it is a small penalty.

Glad to hear you're finding strategies that work for you! Hang in there, and calorie counting can definitely work.

Best wishes!