Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thinking as exercise

NorthCascadesNorthCascades Posts: 9,381Member Member Posts: 9,381Member Member
From the "you've got to be kidding me" department, here is a story for your amusement. I'm not suggesting you stop doing exercise that makes you happy and healthy to think about math problems, but reading this article will burn 50 calories from rolling your eyes.

In 1984, the World Chess Championship was called off abruptly, due to the worryingly emaciated frame of Anatoly Karpov, an elite Russian player who was competing for the title. Over the preceding five months and dozens of matches, Karpov had lost 22 lbs. (10 kilograms), and competition organizers feared for his health.

Karpov's wasn't alone in experiencing the extreme physical effects of the game. While no chess competitor has experienced such profound weight loss since then, elite players can reportedly burn up to an estimated 6,000 calories in one day — all without moving from their seats, ESPN reported.

https://www.livescience.com/amp/burn-calories-brain.html

Replies

• aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,126Member Member Posts: 3,126Member Member
    I heard about that the other day on NPR I want to say. I was both amused and fascinated.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,486Member Member Posts: 12,486Member Member
    I don't think so, based on observation of n = 1 (i.e., ESPN's incorrect, as your link indicates). Spouse played chess competitively for a few years back in the 1970s, studying pretty constantly in waking hours (or playing speed games with others). Later, 1990s, he taught martial arts. Actively practicing the latter for substantially fewer hours clearly burned more calories. The "forgetting to eat" thing for chess players is real, though. :lol:
  • riffraff2112riffraff2112 Posts: 1,519Member Member Posts: 1,519Member Member
    and yet again the world is a harsh place for us dumb people with limited thinking skills.
  • SnifterPugSnifterPug Posts: 177Member Member Posts: 177Member Member
    As an aside, my dogs got far more tired from training that required them to use their brains than from physical exercise alone. They did not lose weight, though.
  • ecjimecjim Posts: 740Member Member Posts: 740Member Member
    Well, OK ... But will it count as cardio ??
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 1,119Member Member Posts: 1,119Member Member
    you mean I could have just learned chess and could have avoided the 100 lb weight gain!? (oh, missed the part about having to starve yourself!) 😂
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,486Member Member Posts: 12,486Member Member
    Looks like a lot of people skipped reading the link, @NorthCascades . . . was this a test? ;)