Out of breath

Options
Hello peeps

Today while working out my heart rate went too high. It was after an exercise that's demanding for me, the mountain climber.

The thing is, I was completely out of breath and couldn't settle down. I lay on the floor panting and wheezing for a few solid minutes. A bit unsettling since I usually recover from cardio within a minute.

Is it a sign that I'm exercising too much? I've been trying a new program and losing fat in the last couple of weeks.

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor asap and stay away from that exercise for now.
  • monso06
    monso06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No use seeing a doctor. Along my years at the gym I saw a cardiologist and did many, many tests. Always came back negative. Let's say he's a bit fed up with me. So I'm not doing it again but I guess I need to adjust my intensity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    monso06 wrote: »
    Hello peeps

Today while working out my heart rate went too high. It was after an exercise that's demanding for me, the mountain climber.

The thing is, I was completely out of breath and couldn't settle down. I lay on the floor panting and wheezing for a few solid minutes. A bit unsettling since I usually recover from cardio within a minute.

Is it a sign that I'm exercising too much? I've been trying a new program and losing fat in the last couple of weeks.

What were you doing? What is your age? Were you lightheaded or disoriented?

If you are that concerned, as most people will say, you should see your doctor. However, he or she is going to want to know the same information.

If you haven’t done it before, or don’t do it often, if you go to a maximal level of exertion—like close to or at a real 100% effort—you could exhibit those kinds of symptoms.

If you were doing a max-effort exercise that involves any type of breath-holding or isometric movement, or sudden changes of direction, you could exhibit those kinds of symptoms.

If you experienced exercise induced asthma, you could exhibit those kinds of symptoms.

If you experienced a heart arrhythmia, whether due to the exertion or some other underlying medical issue—you could exhibit those kinds of symptoms.

Two of those are more benign, one is of moderate concern, and the last is of great concern.

But it also has to be interpreted within the context of your personal health history.

• monso06
    monso06 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Azdak:

Male 35. I've been slightly lightheaded due to the hypocaloric diet and more intense work out these last few days.

I was doing the abdominal routine from the coach, which is standard but new for me. Exercises such as plank, mountain climber, cycling, crunches, etc.

No asthma, breath-holding or isometric movement. No underlying medical issue (since I've pestered my doctor with every imaginable test and nothing came up).

I think no arrhythmia per say but some level of exertion. I have been exercising more and losing weight slightly too fast, like 2 to 3 kgs in 2 weeks.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Losing your breath is a normal reaction to intense cardiovascular exercise. The amount of time it takes to regain your composure depends on your fitness level, but anyone can push beyond their limits no matter how fit. Your heart's job is to pump oxygenated blood to your working muscles, the oxygen comes from your breathing. The higher the intensity the higher the oxygen demand, and the more out of breath you can become.

Planks are great, but they don't improve cardiovascular fitness.

This isn't from doing too much exercise.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    No use seeing a doctor. Along my years at the gym I saw a cardiologist and did many, many tests. Always came back negative. Let's say he's a bit fed up with me. So I'm not doing it again but I guess I need to adjust my intensity.

Then you need a new doctor.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak:

Male 35. I've been slightly lightheaded due to the hypocaloric diet and more intense work out these last few days.

I was doing the abdominal routine from the coach, which is standard but new for me. Exercises such as plank, mountain climber, cycling, crunches, etc.

No asthma, breath-holding or isometric movement. No underlying medical issue (since I've pestered my doctor with every imaginable test and nothing came up).

I think no arrhythmia per say but some level of exertion. I have been exercising more and losing weight slightly too fast, like 2 to 3 kgs in 2 weeks.

OK so I misread your original post (not going to say how because I don’t want to embarrass myself ;-)

If you have abdominal fat, esp if you have any visceral fat, then in my experience, a mountain climber, among other things, can put you in a stressful position. For some people, the movement can compress blood flow in the abdomen, which can cause the symptoms you experienced as the body restores circulation. It’s not “breath holding” per se, but it can be a similar response.

This is one of those things you don’t read in a textbook, but you learn from years of exercise and observation. It’s something that I personally have to deal with. Personally I have a similar problem not only with mountain climbers, but bar squats, deadlifts, leg press, burpees and other exercises. I have to modify the exercises by doing mountain climbers at an incline (if I did mountain climbers, which I don’t because I think it’s not that great an exercise), or reach pulls, etc.

If that’s the only exercise causing you a problem, then the easiest solution is to stop doing them.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What have you been “pestering” your doctor about? What symptoms have you previously reported that required cardiac testing? This sounds like an ongoing issue rather than a one time occurrence. 🤔
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this....we've all heard the stories of athletes who collapse. :( Have you had a good thorough check-up lately? I'd at least call the dr. office and speak to a nurse, see what they suggest. It could be something as simple as doing too much too soon or it might be something more. When it comes to health better to be safe than sorry IMO.
    I had an episode few years back(not exercise related)where I passed out, became sweaty(not necessarily in that order lol), weakness. They had no clue why it happened but made me wear a halter monitor for 2 weeks. That was a pain but gave me peace of mind that no underlying condition was going on.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Your state your are doing a “hypocaloric diet” Definition of that is 1000-1,200 calories per day. You don’t state your sex, age, or weight but I think that’s the source of your problem right there, esp combined with your stated increase in activity.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I lay on the floor panting and wheezing for a few solid minutes.

The wheezing is your airway. The common causes of airway restriction besides asthma are GERD, which is worse with morning workouts, and exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. But there are dozens of other possible causes for your symptoms, some of them serious, so a doctor is the proper person to ask.

Did you check your HR when it was high?