Exercises to lift my square shaped butt

I took some before pictures and the rear view (pun not intended) is kind of scary. I realized I have a square shaped butt. What are some exercises to make it rounder?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Squats

Walking up incline

Squats
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Google Brett Contreras "the glute guy"
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Sit on a circular shaped seat. The muscle memory works wonders :wink:

Squats (and variations), donkey kick (and variations)

• Barbell Hip thrusts.
    Barbell glute bridges
    Barbell back squats
    Lunges
    Split squats

Ideally part of a structured lifting programme. Strong curves is not a bad programme to start off with
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited November 2019
    Tbh standard squats aren't going to do much for the butt.

Better options are :
    Deadlifts (different variations, including straight leg, sumo and single leg), I add a knee raise to the single leg that I hold foot couple seconds

Sumo squats

Curtsey squats. (I do then with a leg raise that I hold for a couple seconds)

Weighted split squats (lunges with rear foot raised)

Barbell hip thrusts

Single leg push down on assisted pull up machine

For floor work (with or without resistance band)
    Donkey kicks, fire hydrants, leg extensions, hip circles

I also like to do standing hill sprints on the spin bike and the stair master.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You are running Strong Curves right? Keep up with the program, even in a deficit you can make some good progress but if you still aren't happy when you get closer to goal you can continue with it and eat at maintenance to help build more muscle.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2019
    Barbell Hip thrusts.
    Barbell glute bridges
    Barbell back squats
    Lunges
    Split squats

Ideally part of a structured lifting programme. Strong curves is not a bad programme to start off with

Agreed. Also deadlifts are useful.

Strong curves isn't bad as is any programming early on really. It lacks compared to more advanced programming after a several months though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Barbell Hip thrusts.
    Barbell glute bridges
    Barbell back squats
    Lunges
    Split squats

Agreed. Also deadlifts are useful.

Strong curves isn't bad as any programming early on. It lacks compared to more advanced programming after a several months.

Shhh don't tell my glutes that ;)
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I didn't see anyone mention clamshells. Those are delisously difficult and effective with a resistance band.

• Shhh don't tell my glutes that ;)[/quote]

I think yr glutes are lookin’ fine.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    I'm having a difficult time with square shaped. . .envisioning it as I can imagine varying curves only. I might take it too literally being a science guy. In addition to the above, can you just flex in place if you have a desk job? I would like to get mine back to it's glory days when older women would smack it as I passed them.