Hair Loss during weight loss

I’ve recently lost 35 lbs in 3.5 months and am now noticing hair loss. I have a lot of hair but this way more then usual. I’ve had my thyroid and iron levels tested and both were clear. I read on other blogs that this could be weight loss related.

Replies

• RFC2549
    RFC2549 Posts: 14 Member
    I've always started shedding more when losing weight, even with slow weight loss.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i also lose extra hair when eating any deficit.
  • lulu_00
    lulu_00 Posts: 2 Member

Thank you for this. That helps. I typically hit my protein and fat targets on MFP but that may still not be enough. I have updated my daily calorie intake in the last few days so let’s hope this helps. I’m now stressed from the hair loss which I’m sure isn’t helping.

quote="RFC2549;c-44407979"]I've always started shedding more when losing weight, even with slow weight loss. [/quote]
    Accelerated hair loss is rather common if someone is on a steep and prolonged calorie deficit.

If the body is being deprived of adequate nutrition (especially protein), it will literally sacrifice less survival-related functions (like hair) in order to try to preserve the essential ones. Excessive hair loss while dieting is usually an indicator that the body is being nutritionally stressed. Ignore it and the damage can escalate into areas that are definitely more health-threatening than just some hair loss.
    Accelerated hair loss is rather common if someone is on a steep and prolonged calorie deficit.

If the body is being deprived of adequate nutrition (especially protein), it will literally sacrifice less survival-related functions (like hair) in order to try to preserve the essential ones. Excessive hair loss while dieting is usually an indicator that the body is being nutritionally stressed. Ignore it and the damage can escalate into areas that are definitely more health-threatening than just some hair loss.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    How old are you? I ask this because at 43, a lot of my same age friends are starting to see signs of perimenopause including very slightly thinning hair, a noticeably wider part, etc. I haven't had this particular thing yet but know changes are abundant at this stage of life.

I have no clue, you may be very young, male, etc...but just wanted to throw that out there as another possibility since your blood work sounds good.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    my hair was to my butt three years ago, and today its to my shoulders, have i cut it NO! it breaks and falls off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    katermari wrote: »
    my hair was to my butt three years ago, and today its to my shoulders, have i cut it NO! it breaks and falls off.

Wow, have you discussed this with your doctor? Not normal to be losing over a foot of hair to breakage.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    katermari wrote: »

Wow, have you discussed this with your doctor? Not normal to be losing over a foot of hair to breakage.

i got my CBC done last week, i get my results in half an hour. cannot wait.
  • RFC2549
    RFC2549 Posts: 14 Member
    RFC2549 wrote: »
    I've always started shedding more when losing weight, even with slow weight loss.

Prioritizing adequate protein and fats within your deficit can help. :)

Even then. I tend to reach or exceed those while rarely reaching carb limit. Been this way my whole life.

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 333 Member
    I'm losing quite a bit of hair, too, but then I'm 43 and have thyroid issues. It's something I'm going to bring up with my Dr. later this week.