Weight Updates + Calorie Adjustments

Can anyone tell me if your calorie goal changes at some point, when you log in your updated weight? Does it change if you log a 5 lb loss or do you have to lose a certain amount for your new calorie goal to update automatically? Thanks!

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You have to manually update it by going to your goals tab and saving your settings. It won't automatically update for you. I would only reay change goals every 10-20 pounds (depending on how much you have to lose). 5 doesn't move it enough in a meaningful way.
  • dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member

So, after I log in my new updated weight after maybe a 10-20 lb loss, I have to go into goals and change my daily calories myself? If so, how do I know what to change my new calorie number goal to? I know I have to eat less calories as I contiue to lose weight. Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand what you are explaining to me. Thank you!
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You have to manually update it by going to your goals tab and saving your settings. It won't automatically update for you. I would only reay change goals every 10-20 pounds (depending on how much you have to lose). 5 doesn't move it enough in a meaningful way.

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    So, after I log in my new updated weight after maybe a 10-20 lb loss, I have to go into goals and change my daily calories myself? If so, how do I know what to change my new calorie number goal to? I know I have to eat less calories as I contiue to lose weight. Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand what you are explaining to me. Thank you!

If you’re using the app, go to the Goals tab and tap on your current weight. This will bring up a dial. Make sure the dial is reflecting your current weight accurately then tap on the ✔️. If I’m not mistaken, that *should* adjust your calorie goal.

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member

I'm surprised every time I see this answer. Mine has changed automatically (Android app). It was originally 1260. One day I noticed it was now 1240. Later it became 1220. I assume one day soon it will be 1200 and then stay there since that's the minimum. All I do is enter my new (low) weights under Progress.
  • dmcforthewin

Thanks for the help!

If you’re using the app, go to the Goals tab and tap on your current weight. This will bring up a dial. Make sure the dial is reflecting your current weight accurately then tap on the ✔️. If I’m not mistaken, that *should* adjust your calorie goal.

• dmcforthewin
    [quote="boldknee;c-444

I am at a 1200 calorie goal currently. Is that the lowest calories MPF will lower to, as you add your weight changes or did I read your post wrong? Maybe that's why it never changes anymore, when I log weight? When I first started with MFP, I had a calorie goal of 1290. I thought I remembered it changing on its own, when putting in my lowered weight changes, but I'm not sure.
    08125"]

I'm surprised every time I see this answer. Mine has changed automatically (Android app). It was originally 1260. One day I noticed it was now 1240. Later it became 1220. I assume one day soon it will be 1200 and then stay there since that's the minimum. All I do is enter my new (low) weights under Progress.[/quote]

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    boldknee wrote: »

I'm surprised every time I see this answer. Mine has changed automatically (Android app). It was originally 1260. One day I noticed it was now 1240. Later it became 1220. I assume one day soon it will be 1200 and then stay there since that's the minimum. All I do is enter my new (low) weights under Progress.
    [quote="boldknee;c-444

I am at a 1200 calorie goal currently. Is that the lowest calories MPF will lower to, as you add your weight changes or did I read your post wrong? Maybe that's why it never changes anymore, when I log weight? When I first started with MFP, I had a calorie goal of 1290. I thought I remembered it changing on its own, when putting in my lowered weight changes, but I'm not sure.
    08125"]

[/quote]

I think it only does this if you're using the MFP defaults. I think if you've adjusted or customized your nutrition goals, the auto adjustment doesn't happen.

Also, OP, you don't have to manually select a new calorie goal. You just basically have to open the goal-setting tool after you've updated your weight and confirm the pounds (or kilos) per week setting and click save, and MFP will calculate toolkit calories just like it did originally. Or at least that's how it used to work. I've been using a manual setting for a few years.
  • dmcforthewin

Ok, I will take a look. Haven't tried any of the helpful ideas yet, but will do. Thanks!
    boldknee wrote: »

[quote="boldknee;c-444

08125"]

I think it only does this if you're using the MFP defaults. I think if you've adjusted or customized your nutrition goals, the auto adjustment doesn't happen.

Also, OP, you don't have to manually select a new calorie goal. You just basically have to open the goal-setting tool after you've updated your weight and confirm the pounds (or kilos) per week setting and click save, and MFP will calculate toolkit calories just like it did originally. Or at least that's how it used to work. I've been using a manual setting for a few years.[/quote]