Help with planning the next 4 week training block

Options
Morning all,

Just working out the weight and reps to do for the next 4 weeks training block.

I've picked a lighter weight this time around so I'm training in a slightly higher rep range than before.

What I can't decide is whether to use the following "Reps in Reserve" model, increasing the weight each week so that the reps in reserve reduce until I hit failure in the 4th week for example:

Week 1:
1st set: 10 (3RIR)
2nd set: 9 (3RIR)
3rd set: 8 (3RIR)
4th set: 7 (3RIR)

Week 2:
10 (2RIR)
9 (2RIR)
8 (2RIR)
7 (2RIR)

Week 2:
10 (1RIR)
9 (1RIR)
8 (1RIR)
7 (1RIR)

The alternative is to pick an average number or reps from the above and go from 3 reps in the tank on the first set to failure on the last set for each exercise. Hopefully I'd get stronger each week so the reps and RIR remain the same.

Week 1:
1st set: 8 (3RIR)
2nd set: 8 (2RIR)
3rd set: 8 (1RIR)
4th set: 8 (0RIR)

Week 2:
1st set: 8 (3RIR)
2nd set: 8 (2RIR)
3rd set: 8 (1RIR)
4th set: 8 (0RIR)

I used to take all sets to failure but the new advice seems to be to stop 1 to 3 reps short of failure, taking only the last set to failure on one exercise per week.

It's possible they both give the same outcome...

What do you guys think?

Replies

• 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Found an article/video that kind of points to the second version in their summary at the bottom - https://thinkeatlift.com/shouldnt-train-failure/
  • 84creative
    Options
    I’ve decided to stop 1 to 2 reps short of failure for the first 3 sets taking the last one to failure. I think I’ve just confused myself listening to too many podcasts by Eric Helms and Mike Israetel.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I wouldn't goal get to failure, but near failure.

Leaving one in the tank is more beneficial for long term progress than successfully failing every few weeks.

I also wouldn't goal adding weight or getting stronger every week unless you are relatively untrained(6 months), this might not be best on a recovery basis.

Training is about accumulating useful stress that allows recovery, not the most stress.

I would strongly suggest focusing long term and not as much short term when programming a template.
  • 84creative
    Options
    Would you suggest keeping the load the same whilst aiming to add extra reps over the longer term (not necessarily each week)?
  • 84creative
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Just watched a couple of videos on YouTube about Progressive Overload and now see that there are lots of ways to progress over time other than just adding weight or reps. Guess I’ve answered my own question. Can’t believe I’m still learning!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    84creative wrote: »
    Would you suggest keeping the load the same whilst aiming to add extra reps over the longer term (not necessarily each week)?
    I usually suggest adding back off sets or volume sets depending on the person, goal, and training history...though there are endless options for overloading useful stress.
    84creative wrote: »
    Just watched a couple of videos on YouTube about Progressive Overload and now see that there are lots of ways to progress over time other than just adding weight or reps. Guess I’ve answered my own question. Can’t believe I’m still learning!
    No worries. Glad you found what sounds to be promising. Unfortunately most people think increasing reps in a set or intensity is standard without understanding how they will or not respond. Only a creative mind is needed the more advanced the training must be for some stingy responders.