How do you reward yourself?

So one of the big reasons why people tend to put on weight is their relationship to food and a big one particularly in my family, but among friends and my community is to celebrate or reward an achievement it is usually with food. Go out for dinner, get desserts, takeaways etc. and the attitude of "treat yourself"...so the question is how do you treat yourself? Specifically looking for non food related behaviours

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    My weight loss has resulted in improvements to my health. That is my reward! 🧡
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    New clothes...which is both a reward and a necessity sometimes.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I'll admit that food is still a part of some celebrations, but I try to make it less of a focus. So instead of dinner and dessert and wines etc, an ice cream and a walk on the beach with some friends/family.

Other rewards have been books, music, new fitbit
  • jandy180
    jandy180 Posts: 10 Member
    Following...this is a good question, and I struggle in that I still tend to reward myself with food. I try to chew gum or brush my teeth to avoid dessert and other cravings, but that's obviously not much of a 'reward.'
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    The money saved by home cooking and not eating takeaways is going towards a new bike :dizzy:
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    @vivo1972 That’s a great idea! 💡
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    New clothes that fit right. Changed everything for me. I went from dressing like an unmade bed to one of the best dressed guys in the office. Great fun.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    I have made a series of goals that I have listed in my profile that happen every 5kg lost. I get a reward with each goal. Mainly trips to the cinema, but my next goal I have will be two new dresses plus a trip to the cinema because I decided that that was a point where I will probably need new clothes. I've already had to replace some clothing for work but they aren't the same as nice dresses. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Rewards for what?

Eating less doesn't actually require a separate reward. If I am hungry and I eat something reasonably tasty that fully abates my hunger that is the reward.

I use a fitness watch so I allow gamification to help with exercise and steps. I am rewarded by playing the game and hitting my targets. I do not want to break my streak so I am motivated and I have the satisfaction of adding to the streak.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What kinds of things make you happy? What is your budget? Build your rewards around that. One person could be a pedicure or movie and someone else a trip to Tahiti.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Do you mean rewards for general life things (where food-centered celebrations are kind of a cultural norm) or rewards for your weight loss/fitness pursuits?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    An hour in a float tank.
    A new hair color.
    A new book.
    A new video game or movie.
    New socks.
    Pretty underwear.
    New leggings or other gym wear.
    New music.

I think those are all the things I have used in the past to reward myself for various things from weight loss to finishing projects.

My 60 lb loss reward is my favorite band's new CD. A signed copy! It ships out tomorrow.
  • MimPic
    MimPic Posts: 47 Member
    Love this question.
    Clothes have been on my rewards list, also new running shoes, a mountain bike, a massage, a new app or music. Obviously, a night out with my husband, and that includes more often than not a meal a the restaurant, but I think not cooking for me still counts a as legit reward - because eating costs more calories, but it won't undo everything that you've done in one meal.
  • Kkilbane26
    Kkilbane26 Posts: 4 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Rewards for what?

Eating less doesn't actually require a separate reward. If I am hungry and I eat something reasonably tasty that fully abates my hunger that is the reward.

I use a fitness watch so I allow gamification to help with exercise and steps. I am rewarded by playing the game and hitting my targets. I do not want to break my streak so I am motivated and I have the satisfaction of adding to the streak.

It doesn't need to be fitness or weight loss related, you can have achievements at work or in sport or just personal achievements. It is good to reward progress, it is how motivation works fundamentally but it is just a common reward in all facets that people choose food or drinks as a reward for achieving something which often leads to poor eating habits and associations with food. So it is interesting to see how do people reward themselves other than with food to celebrate milestones and achievements
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    Couple corny answers coming up! First, I have a physical disability and from weight loss and working out I'm a lot more mobile. A huge reward was stopping diabetes medication. As for physical rewards the only thing that counts is new clothes at a goal weight. I just hit my goal and never made a reward plan, though I spent a bit more than I normally would have on ear buds. I'll be working on a new wardrobe at this point.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    I rewarded myself for every 10 pounds I lost when I lost 47 pounds a couple years ago. The rewards really motivated me and helped me feel even better about myself and my efforts.

After losing 10 pounds; I started having my hair dyed professionally again. I had stopped because I hadn't wanted to look at myself in the mirror for that long.
    After losing 20 pounds: I started getting manicures and pedicures, I had stopped because I was embarrassed by my fat legs
    After losing 30 pounds: Botox,
    After losing 40 pounds: New makeup and eyebrow threading
    After hitting my goal: New wardrobe, That was fun and necessary, had gone down from a size 14 to a size 4.

I know these sound expensive, but I really think I saved almost as much by not eating fast food, buying food that spoiled in the refrigerator while I spent even more going out because I was too lazy to cook.

I need to re-lose another 8 pounds, but have maintained all these improvements. It had really helped me realize how life changing my weight loss was!
  • I set reward targets for myself and I enjoy keeping up with a streak. If i do x amount of workouts in the month I get can get the _____ (whatever it is that I’ve been wanting for a while ). Like a visit the salon, shopping, upgrade of some sort. Whatever makes me feel good in that moment rather than celebrating with food!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    When I finally reach my goal weight, which will hopefully be around the holidays, I'm going to clean out my closet and get rid of all my clothes that don't do anything for me. :) I've lived in jeans/tees/sweatshirts as long as I can remember. I've always felt frumpy. I want to feel good and more stylish. I will still live in jeans, that's just my go-to choice but will get crazy with my tops, shoes, etc. :)
    Another reward I'm working towards is redoing my bedroom because I feel it has reflected how I've felt about myself all these years. I've simply let it go. :( So along with a 'new me' I'm going to create a new environment. :)

Many people say using food as a reward is not a good idea and I agree. Course that was one of the things I wanted to reward myself with first. 'As soon as I lose X amount I'm going to have _____' I know me and if I think about food like that I'll never stop indulging. :( So I will incorporate 1 cookie or a small piece of pumpkin pie, etc., into my daily calories and be done with it. :)
    That's the plan anyways. Lol