NEAT strategies at work

umbramirror
umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am predominantly at my desk during the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. I get up multiple times during the day, of course, but I am trying to think of ways to increase NEAT while I'm here.

There are moments throughout the day that I often have some "down time" and I feel the urge to do some activity. I used to take about a half hour walk around town after lunch, which felt great. Now that it has been getting colder, I haven't been able to do my usual walk. The walk didn't only help with my activity level but also, it helped me digest my food more efficiently.

Now after lunch, I find myself stuck with what to do. There aren't really any large areas inside the office building to walk around so I'm not sure what to supplement. Do any of you have any suggestions of some light activity that I could do post lunch to help aid with digestion that also be done in work clothes? :D (I'm a female that often wears skirts and such)

Also, any suggestions for how to increase NEAT while at work would be helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Do you have any stairs in your building? We have a second level that is mostly just an extra break area. Sometimes I just make a point to use the bathroom and refrigerator up there so I have an excuse to walk up a flight of stairs several times a day.

Are there any large stores near your work that you could walk around, like walmart etc. ?

I guess you could always do some jumping jacks or something at your desk :D
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Does your office offer ergonomic options? My work has been implementing adjustable desks that allow a standing workstation if you'd like. That might help a bit?
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Do you have an office you can close the door? Maybe do some yoga.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Following as I'm also stuck indoors because of the cold. We have a warehouse that I could walk in but I don't want to get in the way of the workers. I guess I could go walk on the treadmill at the local gym or walk around Walmart, however sometimes I don't like to leave the office.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    I’ve gone into the ladies locker room and run in place, stretches, light calisthenics, lifted dumbbells, etc.
  • umbramirror
    edited November 2019
    @hesn92, we do have an awkward spiral staircase that goes from the entrance to the top floor offices. But really, I have no reason to use it unfortunately. I was doing some push-ups in my office and then the boss walked by, which felt a little awkward but I guess I could do some things like that. :D

That's an interesting idea about Walmart... hmm... not sure if there is one or not but I could go to a local supermarket and walk around a bit, lol.

@ellie117, no unfortunately... though I could see if I could purchase one if they're not too expensive. Thanks for the idea!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2019
    I also work a desk job 8-5 M-F
    I change at lunch and go on a run/walk/jog and then change back into my work clothes (I have an hour break and I also live across the street but you could still bring lunch and clothes with you depending on how long you have)
    I "workout" at my desk discreetly
    I work at a small company with not much room to walk around so I get it. If it's nice out I go walk around the parking lot. If it's too cold or bad weather, I will generally just walk in place somewhere discrete or walk around kinda aimlessly looking like a crazy person.
    I've found that just little things throughout the day help greatly

**No stairs in my building either so there's no "just take the stairs instead of the elevator"
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    following this, i also work 9-5 at a desk, dont get to leave for lunch, but any suggestions about getting some movement in at my desk are welcome!
  • umbramirror
    I change at lunch and go on a run/walk/jog and then change back into my work clothes (I have an hour break and I also live across the street but you could still bring lunch and clothes with you depending on how long you have)
    I work at a small company with not much room to walk around so I get it. If it's nice out I go walk around the parking lot. If it's too cold or bad weather, I will generally just walk in place somewhere discrete or walk around kinda aimlessly looking like a crazy person.

**No stairs in my building either so there's no "just take the stairs instead of the elevator"

Lucky you! It would be so convenient if my workplace was near home. I also have an hour break so I do have a bit of time to get in some activity. I usually would walk around while talking to my partner on the phone. I sometimes consider walking out in the cold but then I take a step outside and I'm like... nope!

I don't mind looking like a crazy person so supermarket, here I come!
  • Go_Deskercise

Lucky you! It would be so convenient if my workplace was near home. I also have an hour break so I do have a bit of time to get in some activity. I usually would walk around while talking to my partner on the phone. I sometimes consider walking out in the cold but then I take a step outside and I'm like... nope!

Yeah, I don't do well in the cold.... at all. I'm a big ol' baby
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I walk "laps" in the conference room
  • umbramirror
    edited November 2019

Same here... what a baby I am. EXCEPT just now, I decided to go take a walk anyway. Only 20 minutes and then I started getting very cold but better than nothing! It was kind of nice actually.

I'm planning on maybe adding a short circuit of body weight exercises towards the later half of the day when I can't walk at all.
  • Go_Deskercise

Same here... what a baby I am. EXCEPT just now, I decided to go take a walk anyway. Only 20 minutes and then I started getting very cold but better than nothing! It was kind of nice actually.

I'm planning on maybe adding a short circuit of body weight exercises towards the later half of the day when I can't walk at all.

Well now I have to go be active in the cold too I guess..... thanks a lot LOL
    Heat wave today as it's 43 degrees, but still gross and cold to me
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    What is NEAT?
  • Go_Deskercise
    NicbPNW wrote: »
    What is NEAT?

Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)
  • shorepine
    shorepine Posts: 258 Member
    Hi there, I have this thing called a "Fitdesk" under desk cycle. It's a low profile bike that fits discreetly under my desk. It's totally quiet and designed for office use- low to the ground so your knees don't bop your desk. It's not designed to be a real workout or get your sweaty as even the highest resistance is fairly easy, but rather to increase movement and NEAT (I suppose, I'm not up to speed on NEAT and just learned about it from your post).

I am on the phone a lot for work and I can pedal my Fitdesk during phone calls. I use it for about 1.5 hours a day, pedaling up to 10 miles. It's got a little digital read out that sits on my desk so I can see how long I've pedaled for.

I got mine on Amazon, here it is: https://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Exercise-Peddler-Magnetic-Resistance/dp/B076HYPK42/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=fitdesk+under+desk+bike&qid=1573753757&sr=8-5

They also make ellipticals, which I haven't tried. As you can see, its $130, but I've had mine for several years and have found I use it consistently.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I am predominantly at my desk during the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. I get up multiple times during the day, of course, but I am trying to think of ways to increase NEAT while I'm here.

There are moments throughout the day that I often have some "down time" and I feel the urge to do some activity. I used to take about a half hour walk around town after lunch, which felt great. Now that it has been getting colder, I haven't been able to do my usual walk. The walk didn't only help with my activity level but also, it helped me digest my food more efficiently.

Now after lunch, I find myself stuck with what to do. There aren't really any large areas inside the office building to walk around so I'm not sure what to supplement. Do any of you have any suggestions of some light activity that I could do post lunch to help aid with digestion that also be done in work clothes? :D (I'm a female that often wears skirts and such)

Also, any suggestions for how to increase NEAT while at work would be helpful.

Thanks!

I spend most of my days trying to escape from my evil thoughts.. 😈 lol I think that adds like 4000 steps a day. Well... you could wear more pants, unless your jobs requires skirts. Will your work allow a under desk cycle? If they do, that can add up quickly. I park further away from work. If I have to go to the store during my off time, i do the same. I dont have to fight people for spots is a bright side. There is active commuting. Drive to a certain place and then either walk or bike the rest of the way into work if it is safe. Or, just become a nurse! All the walking you can handle!
  • umbramirror

You're so very welcome. >:) <-- I don't mind being a "bad" good influence. ;)
    Whoa... how are you not sweating over there? We're at 36 today... I'll trade ya!
  • umbramirror
    shorepine wrote: »
    Hi there, I have this thing called a "Fitdesk" under desk cycle. It's a low profile bike that fits discreetly under my desk. It's totally quiet and designed for office use- low to the ground so your knees don't bop your desk. It's not designed to be a real workout or get your sweaty as even the highest resistance is fairly easy, but rather to increase movement and NEAT (I suppose, I'm not up to speed on NEAT and just learned about it from your post).

I am on the phone a lot for work and I can pedal my Fitdesk during phone calls. I use it for about 1.5 hours a day, pedaling up to 10 miles. It's got a little digital read out that sits on my desk so I can see how long I've pedaled for.

I got mine on Amazon, here it is: https://www.amazon.com/FitDesk-Exercise-Peddler-Magnetic-Resistance/dp/B076HYPK42/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=fitdesk+under+desk+bike&qid=1573753757&sr=8-5

They also make ellipticals, which I haven't tried. As you can see, its $130, but I've had mine for several years and have found I use it consistently.

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I love it. I might get this actually! Very cool.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

You're so very welcome. >:) <-- I don't mind being a "bad" good influence. ;)
    Whoa... how are you not sweating over there? We're at 36 today... I'll trade ya!

I knew there was a reason I liked you.... 😉