Measuring cheese

So I’m in the military are trying to stick to the keto diet.. I’m having trouble measuring out my cheeses, chicken, and nuts mainly. ( basically what i consume from the dfac. Any ideas on eyeing out a oz of these food?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    A food scale is your best bet for this. It will give you a much more precise answer than eyeballing.

That being said, in general a piece of Deli sliced cheese will usually be about 3/4 an ounce (21 grams). I usually don't weigh my deli cheese most of the time because it always ends up within a gram or 2 either way of 21 and evens itself out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    If you have a food scale (somewhere), take a few minutes to count out how many of each type of nut are in an ounce, and use that info when you can't weigh. I always weigh mine, but can come very close to an ounce by how much of a handful I have, for types I eat often. Cheeses will differ by density, so that's tougher.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    If you can't get or use a food scale, you can probably find some pictures online of what a serving of different foods should look like. Do your best and if you aren't losing, then assume you are underestimating and try logging a little more than you think you are eating (like if you think it's an ounce of cheese, log 1.5oz and see how that goes for awhile). A scale is best but you can lose weight without it. Just log what you are eating to the best of your ability and if you aren't losing then dial back your portions a little more (especially the calorie dense foods like cheese and nuts).