Reversing Diabetes 2

Isn't it possible diabetes can me improved or reversed, medication can be reduced, if you change your diet? I was always under the impression it can. My ds was diagnosed a few years ago with diabetes 2 and when I brought up the idea of changing eating patterns, he almost got mad at me and said not everybody can do that. I worry about him because he's only 38, is on meds. and doesn't really change anything. When he was diagnosed he came close to losing his foot. :(

I just want him to live a long healthy life.

Replies

• CAS_53
    CAS_53 Posts: 31 Member
    I reversed my diabetes. I don't have any medical knowledge but if your ds came close to losing his foot, it is the case that his diabetes has been ongoing for some time. Happy to be corrected. Also, that ds has some weight issues. With that in mind it would take a real committment to arrest the progression and that can only come from the person involved
    Mine was not ongoing for too long. For several tests I had been prediabetic. Then full blown, then started taking the metformin. During that time I had been researching and came across several articles where people had been going onto low carb/higher protein and reversed their diabetes. Thats how I did mine
    When I had my next test, the diabetic nurse said she was amazed at how well it was under control with diet. My doctor said I must have lost and awful lot of weight to get where I had. I hadn't lost an awful lot weight, around 16lbs I think it was. I stopped taking the metformin almost immediately I had them, determined I would do it, perhaps only having them for only two weeks
    I was eating chicken cooked in a cream sauce with spinach thrown in. At one point I was eating lamb steaks (two at a time) and barely anything else apart from tiny amounts of spinach or chard and peas. I found after a few days I wasnt hungry. I could go all day and would only eat some chicken because I felt I ought. I was in the stage of keto and all was going well

This regime is really hard to keep up though. It is necessary to really up your exercise levels and push yourself on this. Also there can be no cake/carb binges binges. Unfortunately that was my downfall and after only a few months of stepping off the wagon, my weight has gone up dramatically. I would say I have put that back on and some

I did get a PT at one stage and stuck to the 1200 calories but could only afford the PT for so long, and I hated it. I dreaded going to the gym. With your ds only 38 maybe the gym wouldn't be such a chore. I'm 66
    Also, if someone is vastly overweight it is harder getting into the mindset of getting the job done. Maybe slimming world could be the way to go. I have tried that in the past, and many of my friends have. It works, but you still have to stick with it, for ever
    Thing is, diabetes can be reversed, by diet and lifestyle changes, that is a given. It is hard work. I know a couple of others who have reversed it
  • CAS_53
    CAS_53 Posts: 31 Member
    drmwc/prgirl39mfp The Newcastle trials are what first brought me to the knowledge that you could go into remission, I saw the article in the daily mail (link below) but didnt think too much of it at the time. I hadn't been diagnosed at that date but was impressed none the less. I know of others who have done this, it works, but its hard work to sustain it. Worth the effort I think
    Currently I'm giving the fasting a go, again (done it before). A lot of us think that this breakfast thing is a no no. I have tried countless times to have a breakfast and then get on with the day sticking to whatever it is I am supposed to be sticking with it. I cannot do it. Once I have eaten a breakfast, I will not stop eating, no matter what, I cannot stop for the rest of the day. I must eat
    Now, I am forcing myself not to eat breakfast, leaving it till as late as possible before I eat. This is the regime I have started again, and it is working. Much as anything, you have to stick to it. With life that is hard.
    I know and appreciate, that some will say it is not healthy. I think living with the diabetes is not healthy. This way I keep it at bay. When we get older we are never going to go back to being able to eat what we want, when we want. Nor are all of us going to go the gym/walk/exercise as much as is healthy
    I have 16lbs to lose again, and it is difficult, but I will do it

this link already posted by drmwc but is a good one
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2385179/I-reversed-diabetes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/questions-and-answers
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    I reversed my Type II earlier this year. My 1AC was 50 mmol/mol (over 6.5%). I've lost 40 pounds, and the most recent reading was 36 mmol/mol (well below 6%).

There was a study in Tyneside where 46% of participants achieved remisssion.
    https://www.directclinicaltrial.org.uk/Pubfiles/DiRECT Results Lancet.pdf

There is a lot more information on remission and diet here:
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

beat diabetes ytube
    Mr. Reverend Pollack
    Dr. Berry
    Dr. Hampton
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Berg
    Fully Raw Kristina
    Daily Walking/Exercise
    Intermittent Fasting
    ? One meal per day?
    25 to 100 gram carbs per day
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i'm type 2. when i was first diagnosed, i weighed 242 and my blood glucose was 300. when i lost weight, my blood sugar dropped a lot, but i also changed my eating habits in a way that most people would be unable to do - i ate small meals every 2 to 2 1/2 hours (which i still do), cut out fruits, fruit juices and other sugars except for the sugar naturally in dairy, and i started taking short walks about one hour after eating. originally i cut carbs down to 10 to 15 grams per tiny meal (less if not a problem), but now i do 10 to 20 on some meals.

today my fasting glucose is between 96 and 112 most days with no medication at all. when i had more muscle,

but you can't make someone change who isn't willing to. my late mother's friend lived a surprisingly long life considering he weighed over 400 and his feet hurt and tingled all the time, his joints were shot, and he had other health issues, as well. it was very sad, but he lived into his 80s.

no one can make another person do anything if they're not willing. it's very hard for those of us who care.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    @goldengirl111 seems to be dredging up old diabetes threads for some reason. Necro thread.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Indeed. My post she quoted is from 4 years ago.

An update: I am not dead yet. I am pretty active; pretty skinny and my blood work remains pretty good. (I aim to keep my weight between 140 and 147 pounds, which has been successful.)

That's great! I love it when old post get updates. Especially when they are as positive as the one above.