Calorie Restricted Eating & Without Malnutrition -- How do you do it?

Options
Hello!

There is a lot of talk on the internet about the lifespan and health benefits of restricting calories 25% below normal while maintaining high nutrition. David Sinclair, Jason Fung, Peter Attia, among others. These are high calibre doctors and scientists. But the question remains, how can this be done best? Has anyone used MFP for this purpose?

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You won’t maintain if you consume less than your body needs at a given weight/comp, and “normal” doesn’t necessarily mean healthy. (Ex: A “normal” weight range for me would be between 130 & 150, but between frame and my activity & work demands my healthy range is 150-170 when accounting for muscle mass). As for nutrition, eat a balanced diet, adjust for antinutrients as needed, and supplement nutrients you have difficulty maintaining. It’s more common among those with medical conditions impacted by diet, but people on and off MFP journal their food successfully, and have been doing so for a long time.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    There's a distinction on what could be done safely in a clinical setting under close medical supervision and what could be done by an individual in an uncontrolled environment.

I don't doubt that these people are intelligent, but I sincerely question their wisdom.
  • Canadian1970
    Canadian1970 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You probably mean something like this: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-03/cp-crt031518.php

It was cutting calories by 15% (they've done 25% in non-human animals), and the goal is to decrease the metabolism, although of course there's initial weight loss. I believe the people in the study took vitamins and such, although cutting cals (not by 25% unless one is obese) and maintaining a healthy diet isn't really that hard to do--it's what most people who care about nutrition and who diet try to do, after all. Chronometer is a great site if you want to track really closely to see if your diet is nutritionally complete for a period of time, although I'm not saying you couldn't do it at MFP. You'd have to be super careful about entries, however, and I think not everything you might want to track is.

Heyyyy, thanks! That website helps greatly! Have to check that out. My main concern is long term nutrition, not weight loss. And this seems to fit the bill.

I've rarely had a problem with weight. You can see my six pack and it's been that way most of my life with growing up on a farm, running, weights, MMA, etc. Although did fine MFP super helpful during a long period of injuries where I yo-yo'ed about 20-25 pounds. It was actually super accurate -- 2lbs per week on the button everytime. Pint and shoot. Great site.
  • Canadian1970
    Canadian1970 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear y'all, I'm not talking about staying at a CR level 365 days a year. Most protocols call for intermittent fasting. This could mean a weekend or a week of calorie restriction. This would be miserable for me, but skipping breakfast 2 or 3 times week might be enough to trigger the responses needed.