Feeling dipressed when dieting

Options
Really need some support and an explanation please.
I’ve been trying to lose weight of and on the past 2/3 years and I noticed that every time I fall of the wagon and eat what ever I feel like I am happier mentally until I realize that I’m gaining weight back and that I really want to lose more weight (I refuse to buy bigger cloth again so any time my cloth get tight I have that reminder that I’m on a mission here and I get back on the wagon), as soon as I lower my calories and cut back on “bad” carbs to reduce my calorie intake and still feel satisfied I start feeling really low and depressed, my hormones go crazy and I’m just an emotional mess. Even after months of sticking with it and feeling physically good I am still a mess mentally. Am I crazy? Is anyone else experiencing this and what can I do to get out of that funk? I don’t cut out any food group complete, I just try to cut back on sugar and flour but I still eat my sweet treats here and there, I do exercise and that helps a little but not enough.... I just know that my family gets frustrated with me and if I do another “I’m so fat and ugly” crying dance in front of my mirror my husband is going to lose his mind with me.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
  • formybabies79
    formybabies79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Very good article! I took 5 htp before and it did help will definitely start taking it again today. Thank you
    @Go_Deskercise I reduce “bad” carbs aka sugar and white flour and eat more fruits and whole grain instead but I do it more so I can eat more for the same calorie allowance because I don’t like the feeling of being hungry. Example: eat one donut or big bowl of salad with chicken breast. Over all I lost 65ponds and gained 15 back but I’m not worried about that to much, I don’t mind slow weight loss because I’m trying to change my lifestyle not just my diet. I just need to get that mental thing under control.
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I'm the same way. I get so frustrated because I feel like I'm trying so hard and nothing is freaking working. And If I "cheat" and go over my calories I hate myself. Its such a cycle and its lonely and it sucks. I wish I had good advice for you but all you can do is keep going and consistently be mindful of your relationship with food.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Write down a ;list for all the reasons YOU want to lose weight and get healthy. Not just think it, write it down. Also write down, what would keep you from being successful. Choose which is what you really want. Post the list where you will see it. Look at it daily.

When I started last year, lost 72 lbs, fell off wagon this year, so had to relose the 15 pounds I gained back. So now I can say total loss is 73 lbs. I am back to looking at list daily. I have in my bedroom and on my phone as my daily reminder. It may not work for you. But I have found having a list of reminders has been a big help.
    Overall to improve my health, save money on medications off two, looking to get off another one.
    Set mini goals for me every 15 lbs I lose, I set some money aside.
    I have a trip I want to go on, but need to be more healthy to be able to do
    Look better
    Get in normal size 12, none plus sizes for first time in 39 years, this is going to happen in 2019.
    These are my I am going to do it list. And even when I have a day where I go a few hundred above calories, I am right back next day.
    You can do this.
  • Smesmond27
    Smesmond27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how this can make you feel this way, as I did the same thing. I was experimenting and greatly reduced my carb intake while increasing protein, and it made me feel like *kitten*. 😂 However, I then learned that fat and carbs are absolutely essential for your body’s function and energy production. Depending on your body’s composition and your metabolic rate, as well as activity level, you have to adjust your Macronutrients accordingly. Do NOT reduce too much of your carbohydrate intake, unless you’re increasing Fats. Eat your healthy carbs, with portions fitted to your needs. I promise that if you keep a steady diet, but do quite a bit of increased activity, you’ll notice a change. Remember, everything comes with time! Don’t give up or let it get the best of you, because losing weight doesn’t happen overnight. (Unless it’s water weight of course!) If you need any more advice, please shoot me a message! I’m Majoring in Health and Fitness Science.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have no problems losing weight by just reducing my calories, but if I reduce my carbs like I did when they were doing a gluten challenge as a part of some medical testing I needed a while ago, I am MISERABLE.

I've found through some experimentation that if I have at least 30% carbs as my daily macro, I can feel satisfied after meals, while avoiding the urge to stab anyone who talks to me, for the "sin" of talking to me. >_<

Maybe tinker with your macros a bit and see where you find a good balance.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs sparks my anxiety and also makes me feel pretty miserable. There’s absolutely no reason you need to be cutting any carbs. I’ve lost 50 lbs eating all the carbs.

Whatever you do to lose weight needs to be sustainable forever if you want to reach you goal and stay there. Clearly cutting carbs doesn’t work for you, so stop doing it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @formybabies79 How about a blood test screening/exam. Start there, then you can rule out or zero in on obstacles standing in your way.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel like I can get into a depressed state if I am dieting and just reducing intake without changing up my macros. When I'm eating poorly I probably feel okay because I'm just constantly eating things that give me little bursts of energy throughout the day. When I want to eat healthy I can't just cut those foods out without replacing them with foods that will help me maintain energy. For me, that means increasing protein intake - so if I'm eating fewer foods with added sugars I'm also increasing how much protein eat. The balance is certainly different for different people though, so you might want to adjust macros to see if a different goal works for you.
    So for me at least it's less about what I'm cutting out of my diet and more important what I AM eating.