Abs is torture.

Options
Just starting doing abs and can't do as many as I thought.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Work at your own pace and you’ll build up your ability in no time.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. What are you doing for your abs. Maybe try something else
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,075 Member
    Options
    Stop short of torture (intensity, reps, sets, or specific excercise choices). Misery is not essential for improvement, and can even be counterproductive . . . in compliance, if not in injury risk or slowing of progress.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What specifically are you doing for "abs". There are a ton of different exercises that work your abs and some may be easier to do than others.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there are many ways to exercise abs.

Also, the "old school" crunches and sit ups many of us dealt with in PE or sports actually aren't really the best ones and can really easily cause injuries. Plus, frankly, they suck. All too often they are done in isolation and not as a holistic workout which works with the back as well. If you don't, well, injury, poor results, and frustration.

MY favorite workout that targets abs is Shiva Rea's Creative Core: https://www.amazon.com/Shiva-Rea-Creative-Core-Spontaneous/dp/B01LX0SKGN/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=shiva+rea+ab&qid=1573947965&sr=8-1 (It's on Amazon Prime but it can be found on DVDs). Not. One. Sit. Up. Or. Crunch. You *do* have to have a "yoga" mindset but it's worth it.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Pain isn't necessary. The only reason people say 'No Pain, No Gain' is because it's way more catchy than 'No Work, No Gain'
  • Orlando23c
    Orlando23c Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Crunches and bicycle crunches is what I've only tried .
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Did you just start? DOMs are usually WAY WORSE THAN USUAL when you just start a workout. It usually backs off after about a week or two of the routine and 36 to 48 hours of REST to the effected muscle group.

I personally thing abs are MORE terrible than other things because you use them FOR EVERYTHING. It's not like you can just stop breathing because your abs hurt. Core muscles are attached to ALL THE THINGS and if they hurt, you can feel it every time you do anything. I swear, if I have any kind of abdominal muscle pull, I can feel it when I raise my eyebrows. (Hyperbole, obviously, but you get what I mean.)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love that ab ache (I only really get it after a real go on the roll out wheel)! Makes me know I hit those little monsters hard!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I spent months trying to build my abs up and then stopped about a year ago. Retried this month and I could barely do a 30-second plank :'(
  • Orlando23c
    Orlando23c Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ellie117 wrote: »
    I spent months trying to build my abs up and then stopped about a year ago. Retried this month and I could barely do a 30-second plank :'(

Tell me about it .. longest we continue and push eachother we can get threw and achieve