Why do I want results fast?

Options
Milax19
Milax19 Posts: 15 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m 2 weeks into losing weight. My goal is to be “toned”. I currently weigh 61kg. My goal weight is 52-55kg. I’ve been lifting 4 times a week. I feel stronger. The thing is I don’t have patience. I want the physical results to come fast. I want abs overnight and my back fat gone. I know I’m being silly but I can’t help it. Honestly I feel really good inside and I look less bloated than 2 weeks ago. It’s just that my body hasn’t changed that much. The fat is still there. I know it’s a long journey but again I just can’t help it. I defo look less bloated but that’s about it. What can I do to stay patient? How do I change the mentality of wanting results too fast?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is just not quit. Wait out the impatient feelings. They'll pass sooner or later.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP I’m sorry but you won’t get a toned body overnight. It’ll take a few years unless you are genetically gifted and a high responder to weight training.

That said, it is possible to see visible results after a few months of strength training. You do need to be patient though. Sorry.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    We're all learning it takes awhile to 'get there' and a lifetime to stay there. Patience is challenging when you want something really really bad but it's a lesson everyone learns throughout their life and with maturity.
    There have been so many times I've walked past people that are very thin and think to myself 'wow if I could give them 30 of my extra #s...' But life is reality and in this reality, slow and steady wins the race.
    Stay on MFP and celebrate your victories as you go. Pretty soon you'll find yourself in maintenance and all your new habits will have taken hold. Good luck!!!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Another thought to add to this discussion is, all the hype that surrounds each and every diet plan out there tries to sell the get thin quick side of weight loss. Lose 21# in 21 days....they're all trying to sell something and get you to join. Oh sure, it can be done. You can starve yourself and become unhealthy, have an unsustainable lifestyle. But the way to really do it once and for all is slowly, healthfully, and keeping steady, always looking forward to small successes and developing different and better habits.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it might help to realize that you’re never “done”. You don’t lose weight and get “toned” - then go back to whatever you did before (unless you also want to gain back the weight and become not “toned”).

It’s understandable that you want to see changes quickly. But even if you did-you still need to keep doing the same work forever.

So maybe sit back and settle in? This is life now. Forever.

This mindset helps me focus on doing the work and setting my goals as the behaviors I can control. Did I eat “right”, did I do my workout? Yes? Score. That’s all I can do. The changes will happen over time as long as I continue to do the work. I’m also not in a rush to get to “done” since that’s ... dead.

This is the advice right there. Unfortunately, just like we can't get weight loss and abs overnight, we also can't just lose the weight, get in shape, and then be done forever. Maintenance is as much work as losing is. So buckle up for the journey. Healthy has no end date, so the date that you hit certain milestones along the way doesn't really matter.

I've been on the weight loss portion of my journey (with brief maintenence breaks) for over a year now, and I'm still not done with that phase. But I am never going to be done with managing my calorie intake and going to the gym, because even once I hit my goals, those things will stay with me forever.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    What helped me was to realize that I didn't get overweight in a month or two...it took years. So I told myself that losing it was not going to happen in the short term. It definitely helped me not get discouraged and once I got some good habits formed the time seemed to fly by.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    There are many people who want a fast food hack, trying to overcompensate for months or years of poor eating decisions. The body won't tolerate it and the brain will rebel. Edge your way down slowly. You don't have to kick a horse to make it run faster and the fastest horse doesn't always win the race.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other replies so this may have been said but... It's a now culture. Everyone wants everything now. I can get something delivered from Amazon today if I order early enough in the day or tomorrow if I don't.

Everything wants everything yesterday. You are normal in that regard.

But there is no real shortcut to lasting weight loss. You can absolutely starve yourself, work out until you can barely move but.. your body will not be happy. What happens 99% of the time is people get frustrated. They are so tired and so freaking hungry that they give up.

I would just do what is manageable in the long term. Do whatever you are planning to do in six months or a year or ten years.

And it does seem like BS that you are working so hard and noone can immediately tell. But, trust the process and keep pressing forward.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think for me the fast thing wasn’t so much of an issue, because when I started exercising loss wasn’t a goal. I really just wanted more activity. I started losing as a result of the activity but it still wasn’t an active goal. About 3 months ago I added calorie tracking to my routine and that’s when I started to think about the time it will take me to get to goal...when I start finding myself getting impatient, I remind myself that I didn’t gain all the weight in a year, why would I think I’d lose it that fast....it helps keep everything in perspective.