Cortisol and Water Retention

I've read here how excessive exercise can increase cortisol and cause fluid retention that masks weight loss. Assuming someone is in a deficit, and the extra exercise increases that deficit, how is that possible?

I look leaner. My dietitian put me on a 250 to 300 calorie deficit for half pound a week loss. But I've been maintaining for about 3 months, so I added in 2 a days for 5 days per week since last month. No change. I've explained my concerns to the dietitian (she specializes in sports nutrition and general weight loss) and she keeps saying not to worry because I should be playing the long game. Looking leaner is great but my doctors don't care they want the scale to move. Given my history of weight cycling they want it to move down ASAP. Mentally so do I.

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I don't really understand the second half of your post, so I'll just respond to the first. Over a short period of time (a few days to a few weeks) fluid retention can mask fat loss, if the fluid you're retaining weighs the same or more than the fat you lost. If from Sun to Sat you lost half a lb of fat but retained another half a lb of water, the scale won't move.

If you've been maintaining for 3 months, you are not in a deficit. Youre either eating more calories than you think, or burning less than you think.

Aggressive over exercising can backfire for weight loss, as in addition to causing wild water weight fluctuations it can cause you to be much less active when you aren't exercising due to fatigue and can subtlety increase your appetite.

You didn't provide your stats, and I'm thinking there might be a medical condition involved here based on the second half of your post, so how that affects your goals and how your body is reacting to things,. I have no idea.

5'3" 160 lbs age 43. I'm on a 1700 calorie as per TDEE plan, 40/30/30 split.

I do have fibromyalgia and possible sarcoidosis. I have done rounds of tapering steroids treatments. Doctor claims steroids have no effect on weight, which I don't believe is entirely true. He is very stuck on BMI and cares nothing about weight training, or that my muscle definition in my upper body is getting better (what I mean by looking leaner). All he cares is that I reach a number on the scale. As for fatigue, I am exhausted but force myself ro keep moving throughout the day until I hit at least my 10,000 steps.

Yes I weigh my foods and use ml beakers to measure liquids. I found a really cool set by OXO. I check my restaurant meals according to their website, not this database. I'm not a stranger to wild fluctuations, but would like to see my trending weight move downward.
  • MikePTY is on the right track/\. I am 5’3” and have been logging for the last week, weighing all foods and set my calories to 1450. I walk and garden as my exercise. I weigh 213lbs and am a 48 year old female. I lost 3 pounds this week. I have a lot more to lose than you do, but I think trying 1600 calories for two weeks with walking only might reset things for you.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    edited November 2019
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I almost never advise this here, but is there a reason you are not targeting a bit more aggressive on the deficit from an intake perspective? At 5'3 and 160, you are at a 28.3 BMI. Even under conservative weight loss, a 1 pound a week target wouldn't usually be considered too big a deficit.

If you were maintaing for 3 months, you were likely not in a deficit. Have you thought about trying to drop it to 1500 and see what happens? That to me sounds more sustainable and like a better option than trying to overexercise yourself.

I was trying to follow the advice of the dietitian who gave me those numbers. She only wants me "playing the long game" and wants me to lose half lb per week. I was honestly doubting those numbers. After I took a temporary slowdown I asked her to run the calculations again and said nothing really changed.

I agree that a further cut is needed. When I put the numbers into MFP I get 1460 calories per day for half lb per week before exercise calories. Setting it to 1 lb per week leaves me at 1200. So I'm confused horribly. I'll try the 1460 and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    So your dietician wants you lose slow and your doctor wants you to lose quickly. Is the RD aware of the doctors concerns?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So your dietician wants you lose slow and your doctor wants you to lose quickly. Is the RD aware of the doctors concerns?

The doctor mentioned it this week, and my next session with her is Monday so I'll bring it up. Thanks.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    I'm 5'4 and about 160# and at 1700 calories per day, I was losing a little over a pound per week, but my activity level is active to very active, not sedentary. I'm getting 14,000 steps per day (generating about 336 calories worth of calorie burn per day - thanks, doggies!), and that's NOT my workout. That's just my life. I also do 3 weight-lifting workouts per week. I feel like 1700 is very likely (and reasonably) maintenance calories for you if you are, in fact, sedentary outside your workouts.

Not sedentary. Without workouts I average about 7000 steps per day.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    One of the advantages to just *changing* your calories in either direction is that it may shine a light on any logging errors you may not otherwise notice as it will force you to rearrange your food choices somewhat to get better satiation and keep to your macros. Sometimes when that happens you'll end up cutting out or reducing (or, heaven forbid, increasing!) the food that is being accounted for incorrectly and you'll be able to figure out what it is. In my case (one time, about 5 years ago), it was coffee creamer... >_< My office switched brands on me and the caloric difference was significant, compounded by the amount of coffee I drink in a day.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    One of the advantages to just *changing* your calories in either direction is that it may shine a light on any logging errors you may not otherwise notice as it will force you to rearrange your food choices somewhat to get better satiation and keep to your macros. Sometimes when that happens you'll end up cutting out or reducing (or, heaven forbid, increasing!) the food that is being accounted for incorrectly and you'll be able to figure out what it is. In my case (one time, about 5 years ago), it was coffee creamer... >_< My office switched brands on me and the caloric difference was significant, compounded by the amount of coffee I drink in a day.

A lot of what you said echoes what my RD says. That my first methods of weight loss were new and exciting, and of course put me at a deficit. But now that those aren't working it's time to leave the safe and familiar and learn new ways that will work and be sustainable. Learning to shift to more protein and less carbs is new, but I seem more satisfied and called attention to how much I relied on carbs. Not that they're bad but they were the go to food in my life. I'll continue to keep that up but with a lower calorie level.

Thank you
  • New_Heavens_Earth

OP I definitely don't think you should make any drastic changes without consulting your doctor and/or RD. Personally, I don't think dropping to 1500 calories is drastic, but obviously you have to determine what you are comfortable with and all the info your medical team has given you that we aren't privy to.

I have an appt with the RD tomorrow. I'll discuss a further cut and the doctor's concerns with her tomorrow.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    @NovusDies But she's saying she has been maintaining for 3 months, right? There's certainly no harm in waiting to discuss it with the RD, but if she's borderline obese by BMI and has maintained for the last 3 months, I think it's safe to say she isn't in a deficit at all. Just my 2 cents :wink:

OP I definitely don't think you should make any drastic changes without consulting your doctor and/or RD. Personally, I don't think dropping to 1500 calories is drastic, but obviously you have to determine what you are comfortable with and all the info your medical team has given you that we aren't privy to.

She also says she is getting leaner. It does seem like the scale would have moved a little but with that amount of deficit the resulting weight loss would be an easy amount to have masked considering she has added new exercise.

I am more concerned about dropping another full 250 than I am with dropping some but then my opinion is based on very little data.

ETA: I also do not know what part inflammation plays with those medical conditions.