Any walkers out there?

Options
I started walking more this past summer. I’m really enjoying it, besides my regular workouts. I want to continue this during the winter. I don’t have a car, so I’m mostly stuck at the apartment complex I live in. Does anyone else continue regular walking in the cold months? How do you keep from getting frostbite? Anything to keep in mind when it’s snowing? TIA! ⛄️🥶

Replies

• jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist and do that for exercise but I walk 2-4 miles most days in addition....but usually in 2-3 walks.

I do have a (very sweet) high energy dog so that helps. So I'm often walking once in the am and once in the evening. I also as a standard will walk for 20 min after lunch at my office as a mental break to reset for 2nd half of day.

I don't skimp on gear. Comfortable water resistant boots for wet, cold. Gortex jacket. I've found if you have the right gear, the weather is not a big deal. Sometimes it's even nice because you are the only one out there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's not quite the same, but check out walking videos on YouTube. Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, and newer one WOW (walking online workouts). There are also virtual walk videos for treadmills, not sure how that would work for you.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I walk daily (thank you dog), and the weather will not keep me from it unless there’s lightning or blizzard conditions 😉. Walking in snow is a great workout. Just be aware of melting, followed by more snow, there will be ice under that layer of snow. Yaktrax are helpful and relatively easy to walk in.

I found layering is the best for the cold, a layer that will wick moisture, block wind, etc. I love natural fibers but they’re not a good option in the cold, with the exception of a silk under layer. I like wearing polartec-type light fleece jackets under my coat, even cheap ones work well. I try to wear stuff that zips easily so I can zip/unzip as needed. I wear a neck scarf as I find it keeps me toasty but it is easy to adjust if I feel too warm. When it starts getting to 35 and lower, a headband for the ears is heaven-I prefer fleece or high tech material for those. Smatwool socks are toasty and will dry fast if your feet get wet. Pretty much any tech pant that blocks wind is good (no cotton), and I will also use an under layer of lightweight leggings when it’s 20 or colder. Gloves are a must, and I change those up depending on how cold it is. When it gets below 15, I will use an adjustable balaclava.

Like JHanleyBrown said, walking when weather conditions aren’t ideal can be lovely when it’s just you and the outdoors, it can also be so invigorating. I love the feeling of being out for a walk in the cold and returning to a warm home. Bliss!

Have fun, happy walking!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it and find one that fits in apartment. That has has become back up. I belong to a fitness center that has walking track. I will not exercise walk in cold weather. Good luck.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Thanks to a high energy dog I've been well versed in winter walking. I second the yaktrax type of traction. I have a pair of winter hikers and keep my yaks attached all winter so that I'm not always having to put them on and take them off. It just makes life easier. Dress appropriately. For me, I like to dress so that I'm a little cool when I first step outside, then when I warm up, I'm at a perfect temp. You'll get to know how many layers to wear at what temp to be comfortable once you've been doing it awhile. Be seen if you're walking at night, early morning, or late afternoon. I have an inexpensive hi-vis vest that fits over my layers. Don't wear ear buds. You need to be able to hear if a snowplow or sand truck is coming in any direction so you can get out of the way, if necessary. Even if you are on a sidewalk, the snow or sand may reach you as the truck goes by. That's why I like to hear them in advance. Then I have enough warning and can see if they're spreading or plowing with so much gusto that I need to move further from the roadway edge.

My cutoff for "a little too cool to walk" is about -25C (that's about -13F). Of course, that also depends on the wind. -25 with no wind is still okay, but -25 with a wind can be brutal. So always check your weather app before heading out for both the temp AND wind. For the record, I've never experienced frostbite but when its cold and/or windy, keep your cheeks and nose covered. I love my wool Buff for that.

Like they say, you can find joy in winter. Or you can hate winter. Either way, winter happens.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Typically thought of as being for blue hairs...mall walking is actually a pretty decent way to get a lot of steps in.

I do walk in the winter but it is difficult especially when we get a lot of snow (and the sidewalks are unsafe) or it is icy. It is also very cold here in the prairies so I dress in layers, cover my face and do my best.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I walk year round but I don't count on doing as much during the winter. The main issue for me is that it is dark when I get home, and that's a bit of a safety issue. I'm also in a state that borders Canada so it does get cold and often downright unpleasantly so.

So, I keep my walking mainly for the weekends. I do inside workouts until spring. (Yoga, Zumba, reclining bike, kettlebell currently.)

SNOW is not the enemy. It's the )*(& ICE that will nail you.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it and find one that fits in apartment. That has has become back up. I belong to a fitness center that has walking track. I will not exercise walk in cold weather. Good luck.

Thought I fixed this, I was referring to a treadmill if anybody didn't assume it
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm another who has a dog who demands his twice daily walks. If you are dressed for it, going out in winter can be great. I love my down coat and down gloves and I have another lined coat for cold rain/sleet that is also really warm.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I just wear as many layers as I need depending on the temp. I bought a pair of ski bib pants years ago on sale for a very good price that keep me very comfortable against the wind if needed. I second what a few others have recommended by way of Yaktrax or something similar. I use a brand called Stabilicers and they work great on ice and hard packed snow. I tend to be out before dawn so a reflective vest is highly recommended. I also use a head lamp. The biggest inconvenience for me is not being able to wear my glasses if I need to use a face mask because no matter what I’ve tried, they always fog up. At least I’m not so blind that I can’t see where up going.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not the same, and I won't do it as often as walking outside, but I can usually find am empty room at work that I can walk laps around.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I got a treadmill desk so that I can walk while I check email and news in the morning, instead of using a space heater to keep my feet warm. I LOVE IT.

That said, layered socks in *wool* will stay warm even if they are wet, and a wind-proof layer under a hoodie and a puffy vest with good gloves and a hat and stretch pants under my jeans do well for me down to single digits F. Once we get down to the negatives, I switch to a down jacket. Silk is also very nice in the cold, but not as affordable as wool.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I've just walked around the house before in winter when I was trying to reach a steps goal at the end of the day. With music, it was fairly relaxing!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Layers! Wear layers to keep warm! Maybe even start with those Thermals. Add a scarf and a hat. And enjoy your walk! Oh chapstick and tissues if your nose runs in the cold. (Lol)
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I can’t afford fancy gear but I did ask for a pair of hiking shoes for Christmas that I found on Amazon. They look like sneakers, sort of. I’m going to a craft store this week so I’ll getting yarn to make my own scarf.
    Thanks everyone for your input! I learned a lot! Yous guys are awesome 😎
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, too, and live in an area with winter snow and ice storms. A few years ago, I fell taking my dog out in light snow, just a dusting on the sidewalks, and got a concussion -- entirely my fault. My shoes didn't have good tread, and I didn't take the snow seriously. The yaktraks are a good idea. Also, check the tread on all your shoes and throw out the ones with worn soles. They're dangerous.

I joined the local YWCA for bad weather. I don't use it year around, so I pay monthly.

Some people use walking videos on Youtube. You can dance to videos, too. Can you walk around your apartment complex?

• ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

Some people use walking videos on Youtube. You can dance to videos, too. Can you walk around your apartment complex?

Yeah that’s where I go walking. We do get snow and ice. It was 30 degrees when I went walking yesterday but I managed close to 2 miles. I’m a caregiver for my disabled husband and daughter so I try to get out when I can. I found it really helps me with stress so I wanna keep it up. I don’t mind the cold weather (I love all 4 seasons) but I wanna be safe as well.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I walk every day no matter what, and always look forward to it. I also go sledding when there's enough snow. My favorite time to walk is to head out right at sunrise, to the park as it's the most quiet and peaceful time of the day. Since the days are getting shorter, I stay aware of when sunrise and sunset are (they shift every day by about a minute or so) and set timers on my phone for them.

The winters here (NYC) are long but not especially brutal (maybe down to 15 degrees F, but typically hovering around the freezing point. That's nothing compared to more northern areas, I know).

I've found I can get through the whole year with two coats and a hoodie:
    summer = zero coat ;)
    early fall/late spring = hoodie
    mid fall/spring = light coat
    late fall/early spring = light coat + hoodie
    winter (under 40 degrees) = parka
    super winter = parka + hoodie

I've worn two hoodies and a parka before, but just on morning ski trips up in New England. It doesn't get that cold where I live.

Best "new" quality-of-life discoveries for me though: long underwear (under jeans) makes a HUGE difference! Now I have them on any time the temperature drops under 40, and I feel great.

Also: good boots. I had some crappy leather "work" boots to wear and they're warm enough, but useless when it's slushy as they leak in a puddle and then your socks are wet and life sucks. I finally wised up and got a real pair of LL Bean duck boots and they're the greatest. So all is well with the feet.