Exercise and calf cramps

Options
I am back doing spin classes and since this I am getting calf cramps... why does that happen and how do I stop them?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before and after? I use a foam roller, too. How is your fruit and vegetable intake? If your electrolytes are off you'll get more muscle cramps. Make sure you're not pointing your toes a lot.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Common causes are bad circulation to the area (lower legs routinely) and low potassium.

Try stretching the calves and maybe increase potassium a bit (bananas or sweet potatoes are good sources).
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana with breakfast on days I'm going to exercise and haven't gotten a "charlie horse" since starting this. Strongly recommend!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Drink water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Also make sure the bike is set up correctly for you.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely all of the above. Another idea is to try rolling a tennis ball under your feet. I do all of the above and have been swimming for 23 years. 2 yrs ago I started getting foot cramps sometimes while swimming and sometimes while walking. I started with the tennis ball under the arch of my feet. It hurt so bad I wanted to cry. I persisted. In less than a week the pain was gone and no more cramps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Cramps can be a result of dehydration, low electrolytes or just a sudden increase in workout duration/intensity.

Try adding something like a Nuun electrolyte tablet to your water (or use a sports drink - personally I prefer G2 over regular Gatorade) the cost per tablet is about the same as a bottle of G2 if you're buying it buy the case at Costco.

If it's a case of too much too soon (not uncommon) dial back your intensity a little in class until your body gets accustomed to the workload.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Usually fatigue and poor load management.

Stretching might alleviate when they happen, but if you want to lower the risk of them happening...manage the load and fatigue better.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check that your spin bike is properly adjusted. Move the position of your foot on the pedals at times during the work out. Pedaling hard on the balls of your feet or toes can cause cramping due to muscle fatigue. Move your foot forward a bit at times to apply pressure to the mid-foot too.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me it's a sign of one of two things: low electrolytes, or dehydration.