MFP Buddies Wanted for Support - 100 lbs to lose

cassiek90
cassiek90 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi all,

About a year ago I started with MFP and was able to really lose weight and get fit for the first time in my life. Being 22 and obese was not fun but I could never get myself motivated-- my entire life I had been gradually gaining weight and became more and more unhealthy. Last June I graduated from college, moved back home and got a real job. I wanted a new start and I got it-- I committed myself to MFP and keeping myself accountable for what I was eating. Within a few months I was down to the smallest I have been since high school and was at the gym every day. I even started jogging, which was a HUGE accomplishment for me! (I have never EVER jogged before in my life!)

Over time, my job became extremely stressful and I gave in to the pitfalls of the workplace-- I started munching on snacks at my desk, ordering chinese or pizza with my co-workers and going out for a beer (or five) after work. I wanted to fit in and make friends and I did, but I also sacrificed the progress I had made. I moved in with my fiancé in November and could no longer afford my gym membership, started making excuses and working 50+ hours a week, which only meant I was eating more and more (and worse!) to deal with my stress. I am now the heaviest I have ever been at 340 lbs (5'11), up from the goal I had reached of 310 lbs just a few months ago. I became so disappointed with myself and felt like I didn't deserve to be happy again or to work hard for my own health.

I'm getting married in March and although I've already purchased my wedding dress at the size I currently am, my first fitting is in January and I am re-committing myself to work harder than ever before to get healthy. I quit my job a week ago and am starting a PhD program in September. I am taking this as an opportunity to focus on myself and my fitness goals-- one day I do want to have children and I want to be there for them and my (future) husband. I need to live a long and healthy life and I know I am the only one that can make that happen! That being said, I could really use the support of those who are in the same place as I am. Feel free to add me if you need an MFP buddy.

Wishing you all the best & thanks for listening!

Cassie

Replies

• Hi Cassie,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!! I know how depressing it is to be at a weight that you are not happy with, lose some weight, and then re-gain it all back. Hope your wedding and desire to have children in the future push you towards your goal. I am up here often looking for and supporting my MFP friends. Best of luck to you!!

Sending you a friend request.
  • kj26boys
    kj26boys Posts: 73 Member
    Cassie,

I completely know how you feel. And congrats on the wedding! Feel free to add me. I too have quite a bit to lose. We can motivate each other.
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Add me too if you like!
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    I know how you feel ,I am actually "recommitting"too. I have been off track for about 3 months now and have pretty much gained back all that I had lost since October when I started on MFP.
    So congrats on the "new" journey and your upcoming nuptials.
    Feel free to add me - we can keep each other on track this time around.:flowerforyou:
  • Great to meet you all, thanks for the support! Sending requests your way :)
  • sneakyX
    sneakyX Posts: 1
    Hey Cassie,

I am new too and have 84lbs to lose.

Totally agree about the office, its really hard not to eat when you get stressed. Our office like to reward people with donuts which makes it double hard.

J
  • Congrats on the wedding and starting the PhD program! I'm right there with you - also have 100 pounds to lose. Adding you :) anyone else is welcome to as well.
  • Ninonll
    Ninonll Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Cassie,

Congrats on the weeding!
    I'm new to the forum, but my weightloss journey started a long time ago, and sometimes it feels like it's never gonna end, so I understand exactly how you feel!
    I also totally can understand how tough it is to fight stress at work without overeating!
    I have around 100lbs to lose too, and i'd love to have a weight loss buddy so that we could support each other so feel free to add me!
  • agraves18
    agraves18 Posts: 30 Member
    Congrats on the up coming wedding! Feel free to add me.:smile:
  • Ellischase
    Ellischase Posts: 15 Member
    Hi Cassie!
    I've just started a few days ago and have about 70 lbs to lose - and I could really use some support and encouragement and would love to offer it too!

Let's do it together - more friends to support each other means more motivation!
  • scottleigh
    scottleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, thank you for sharing your story. I joined in may after having reached my biggest in my life. I had a baby in january so i left weight loss a bit, but are now seeing real results. Please feel free to add me :) x
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    I've got about 90 lbs. to lose - but when I started, it was 110...you (all) can add me if you'd like. I'm pretty supportive!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Feel free to add me. I have 100lb or so to lose. Love every motication I can get! I am sure you do too.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    well hello,

I have 100 to lose as well. Im always on here. I log everything and offer great support. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Also my diary is open and I believe we could both help each other succeed.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Cassie,

Congrats on the wedding!!!! Love is an awesome thing!
    I know how you feel. I lost almost 40 pounds with MFP last year and then fell off the wagon and started ordering food with co-workers and eating badly and not exercising and i gained all the weight back. I am recently married and the photos were a bit of a reality check for me. I looked horrible. And not only looked horrible but felt horrible. I was depressed and didn't want to do anything! But now it is time to change all that. We can do this!!! Please feel free to add me so we can motivate each other!!!!

Anyone feel free to add me. More support and more people to support the better :)
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    I forgot to mention that I have over 100 pounds to lose. Close to 140 pounds if not over that.
  • Wekaba67
    Wekaba67 Posts: 30 Member
    My name is Wendy and I have about 80-90# to lose. I am just beginning my third week with MFP (round 2). I am looking for chatty, motivational friends with open diaries. :) I really enjoy reading what others are eating because sometimes I can get a really good idea for a low calorie food to try. I am 46 years old and would especially love to have friends in the 40+ age range.
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Hi, feel free to add me too! One cannot have enough supportive friends.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Congratulations on the wedding! I know how you feel. I started on MFP about 2 years ago and lost 40 lbs. Then life and work and stress set in and I let myself fall back into bad habits. I got back involved early this year but I have been having a hard time keeping with it, as my stress levels are worse than ever. But after starting to feel healthy (if only losing 20 lbs in 5 months) by eating better; this last bout of self sabotage has shown me how horrible those habits really are. I feel horrible, I'm short tempered, fatigued. YUCK, basically. So today is back to square one for me. And so long as we all realize that success isn't a straight line, and we're going to have to take it a day at a time, we can do this! I'm usually on every day a few times a day so please feel free to add me if you'd like! And good luck!!

atp075.jpg
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Hi Cassie - you can add me to your list if you are looking for support, too! It is so hard for some of us to learn to leave time in our schedules to take care of ourselves. I know what you mean about getting caught up in your schedule and leaving good habits behind. You have a lot of wonderful motivators...wedding, new academic goal, and the knowledge to do it!

I have discovered that I really need to eat all the calories I am allowed. Not eating a few hundred calories on a day I work out is a recipie for disaster. i usually wake up in the middle of the night and eat, if not binge. So, make sure you are eating what you are allotted.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.