Winter running footwear

Options
Wonder if anyone has any recs. I want to keep running this winter, sometimes it will be snowy or icy.

I've been to 3 shoe stores. Looking for winter running shoes or slip on cleats. Not sure which is best.

Interested in hearing how people cope with it who do winter running, and any specific recs.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the gadgets that hook onto your shoes. I put screws in an old pair of shoes and use them when the surface is packed with ice and snow. When it is not as packed I use my trail shoes. Other times I just wear my normal shoes. It depends on the conditions.

I am interested in the winter pegasus shoes from Nike. I may get a pair soon to try them out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Microspikes have worked well for me. Never run in them, but I've hiked in some hard and icy snow. I have a friend who runs in yaktrax which are very similar, slightly less grip.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks...that is an interesting idea about the screws.

I found a pair of Saucony Peregrine Ice for half price. Might try that and if it doesnt work well enough the yaktrax or something.

Trail shoes also seem good- too many options lol.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Winter running for me is about keeping my feet from getting soggy. We get wet soggy icy mud puddles and severe monsoon winters here. I choose grippy deep grooved soles with gore-tex uppers.

It's been a lot of trial and error for me, as wet clay can shift unpredictably where shoe clumping and slippage are considerations. You're going to be the best gauge for your winter terrain and running trail where footwear options are concerned.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The hardest situation is when you want to run, but there may be black ice here or there. All of the spikes are annoying on hard pavement, where they also wear out quickly. But, if you don't want to run on a treadmill, what are you going to do? I'd like to try adding screws to an old pair of running shoes.

I have gone trail running run in low-rise Merrill boots with YakTracks. It was fun but slow, kind of like running with ankle weights. Having used them a lot, I can say that YakTracks are prone to wearing out and failing. Depending on the model, they may not stay on your shoe/boot very well. Even when working as designed, they shift around a bit as you walk or run.

Here is my favorite video about putting screws in your sneakers for winter running:

https://youtu.be/LdaUIRpYS88

(There are other youtube videos as well, but this is the most fun to watch!)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I run in my regular shoes and have only fallen a couple of times over the years. Having said that last winter was so icy that after taking a bad fall at the end of December (walking the dogs of all things) I chickened out and resorted to the treadmill for the rest of the winter, I don't plan on repeating that this winter.

Shorten your stride and watch you foot placement. On a day with freezing rain you may want to forgo the run for a cross training day.

I tired Yak-Trax a few year ago and found that they messed up my gait. I may give the machine screw a go this winter.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have trail shoes that are waterproof. and i have a generic form of yaktrax
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love my Kahtoola NANOspikes for times when black ice is a real possibility. Yaktrax are OK for slushy conditions but don't seem to grip well on glare ice, at least not as well as the nanospikes do. I have a pair of cleats for hiking when there is snow, but not enough of it for my snowshoes.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    On a search I found these, which look promising for the issue of staying dry. (This only matters when the snow gets more than an inch or two so deep.) I haven't tried them, but I have gotten wet cold feet!

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/socks/walking-thin-mid-socks-grey-grey-marl.htm
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe I fell yesterday down a flight of ice stairs, so I am pretty motivated to address the problem. I'm mostly ok just stiff. But it can happen so fast.

The sauconys I was looking at were actually full price but I bought them anyway

Yaktrax- I read a lot of complaints about them, a friend of mine who hikes alot says they fall off alot. Will check out the Kahtoola ones.

And I have an old pair of shoes I may try the screws in just to see- thanks for the vid.

Also- waterproof socks look awesome! Never would have thought of such a thing.

Thanks for all the ideas.

• nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the watershield Nike Pegasus Zoom sneakers - highly recommend them for keeping your feet dry and warm! I love them.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I’ve used Stalicers (got them thru LL Bean) with great success and they’re only a little more than $20. I bought a pair of Brooks Ghost GTX (gore-Tex) over the summer that I’m eager to try.