Form check deadlifting

Options
Dtownrgw
Dtownrgw Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I think my hammys are too tight so I'm compensating with my back to get the bar off the floor. Thoughts? https://youtu.be/_tarVcBo36s

Replies

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Definitely got high hips.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to get I to position after you roll the bar toward your shins. Pull the slack out of the bar, engage lats, get the bar closer to your body.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not confident your hammies are tight or are the problem at all.

I would suggest not rolling barbell into your shins. We want you to have a repeatable starting position. Rolling only complicates this and throws off timing for a more novel lifter.

Barbell was over toes when you begin pull. We want it over midfoot for balance and a more efficient starting position. By not rolling the barbell we can practice this better.

With barbell over your toes, the barbell is pulling you forward onto your toes one of the reasons you to shoot hips.

I suggest starting with your hips a inch or so higher. About the height they are when the barbell breaks the ground.

Also your back is loose with very little lat engagement. This is the other reason your hips shoot.

Pull slack out of bar while engaging your lats depressing them down your back while performing the Valsalva maneuver. Keep back tight throughout.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The only way he gets his hips higher is bring a step stool ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Watch this on proper deadlift setup: https://youtu.be/wYREQkVtvEc?t=186

Stop looking around you - focus inward on not letting your hips rise before the bar does. If you can't do that, use a slightly higher starting hip position.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The only way he gets his hips higher is bring a step stool ๐Ÿ˜‚
    In all seriousness...the optimal height of the hips has to do with the person's anatomy and body proportions. Not some theory of perfect starting position that is universally correct.

There are very strong lifters who have a much higher hip position because arms are somewhat short, long femurs, etc...