Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting with Low Carb eating

Just asking for thoughts and feedback on this. Have been hearing a lot more about intermittent fasting lately. I have never been able to follow a low carb diet so I do have concerns about that. Thanks.

Replies

• Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks for the insight. I will definitely have to find what works for me.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I do IF and very low carb (not strict keto) and it works very well for me personally but it’s probably not for everyone.

The first time I tried low carb I HATED it. It made my cravings worse and I felt cranky and tired all the time. I tried keto a few years later and after playing around with # of carbs I’ve realized that for me to personally see some of the benefits of low carb (reduced cravings, more energy etc) I needed to go lower on carbs. If I stay around 150 grams of carbs I have cravings and generally hate life, if I stay around 50 I feel great.

If you’re interested in trying low carb I’d suggest going quite low, wait a couple of weeks till you’re over any keto flu/sugar cravings and then slowly up your carbs till you find your comfort zone.

I have read lots of studies on added benefits from IF but honestly I just use it for calorie control, I like to eat more later in the day so if I skip breakfast it makes it easier for me to have a decent lunch, big supper and a snack.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I do IF somewhat accidentally due to my medication timing and all the things I must take "on an empty stomach," but also "never with that other thing you're taking." >_< I've found that it does reduce my insulin resistance in the few times in my life wherein that has been a problem.

I tried low carb once when they were checking me over for gluten intolerance and a couple other gastric issues. I really do not enjoy it and it seems to make me rather grumpy. FORTUNATELY, it is not at all necessary for me to lose weight, which is fantastic, because fatty foods have been giving me a stomach ache.

There are a ton of strategies and mnemonics out there for helping people get their calories IN lower than their calories OUT. They all work (or don't) because they're helping you eat less than you burn (maybe - if that style works for you), but in the end, it's whatever way of thinking works with your brain and appetite and any medical conditions you may have.

Low carb dieting was designed to help diabetes patients control their blood sugar. If you haven't any problems with insulin regulation, it won't necessarily help you any more than some other way of reducing your caloric intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I never said you can only lose weight doing keto or that calories don’t matter.... I suggested she do some independent research.

I have literally posted a statement like “I did keto for a few months and lost 40 lbs” and get a bunch of people disagreeing with me. I have personally seen a HUGE bias on these boards against it.

And while I wholeheartedly agree that keto, low carb, IF etc aren’t for everyone I do see people on here trying to discourage it a lot so I simply suggest anyone who’s interested should do independent research (and probably talk to a dr) as, like said above this is a calorie counting site so a lot of opinions on here are biased.

I've never done Keto and I lost 80 pounds in 2007-08 and have kept it off.

Of course you can "say" you got a bunch of Disagree reactions to that but without the context of the thread you were in and your exact post, it's kind of a poor argument. Can you link to that post?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    CICO nothing else matters, period, end of story.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I guess I don't fully understand the thought process of restricting yourself to only eating between a certain time or only eating certain foods and not other foods (unless you have a medical condition).... Weight loss is hard enough as it is, why make it even harder with more restrictions? I feel like people over complicate things...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I guess I don't fully understand the thought process of restricting yourself to only eating between a certain time or only eating certain foods and not other foods (unless you have a medical condition).... Weight loss is hard enough as it is, why make it even harder with more restrictions? I feel like people over complicate things...

because there is a perception that it needs to be painful in order to be successful - you can't have foods you enjoy because losing weight is akin to a punishment mentality

or you need to eat clean to lose weight etc - i was on another forum last night and someone commented about not going out to eat with friends because the inability to find a "clean" option on a chinese menu and its like - sustainable choices that will help in the long term is better than short-term non-sustainable changes

• gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2019
    Since March I've lost 95lbs and over 100 since last December (before I really started tracking anything and progress was slim). I started in the spring on a fairly strict Keto diet for a couple months before reintroducing variety in a much more controlled fashion, and continue to do my own little arbitrary system of IF.

I refuse to jump on the bandwagon of hating on Keto and IF, because they are valuable tools when applied with skepticism and acceptance for what they are. My family has a history of diabetes and I was going down that path, I consistently monitored blood glucose for a while (but thankfully at my current weight and health plan it hasn't been a problem!!) but Keto and IF can definitely help with stabilizing that if that's a problem for you.

I'm not 100% on the science behind water weight and losing weight but I feel like Keto in the beginning keeping off my water weight really helped jump start actual weight loss. I believe the science behind that is glycogen that is what is normally stored with all that water weight is the first thing the body taps for energy, so if you thin out of the available glycogen from carbs you're body turns to other things to burn which in turn also keeps the water weight down. Don't quote me on that though since I didn't do tons of research on it, but I will vouch Keto did give me a solid jump start.

I found and STILL find IF a useful tool in helping force me find filling calories of value. When you know you won't be eating for whatever period of time you stick to you really think about making sure you have some fill for that period of time.

To be honest the single biggest influencer for me personally was strength training. Maybe because at the point I really threw in strength training I was already down a notable amount of weight, but it definitely made the biggest aesthetic and "inches" difference than pure weight loss. I'm pushing fairly hard at this point dropping around 4lbs a week against all recommendations (eating for a 2-2.5lb weight loss but not eating back in workout/exercise calories). I know the science says that I shouldn't be seeing any progress strength training at this kind of deficit but I am making mild gains, i'm sure at maintenance they'll jump drastically for a noob at strength training.
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    Also, as stated above you will often get a lot of discouragement on these boards for anything outside of CICO so I would definitely read what people say here but do some independent research for a less biased opinion.

There is no other way to lose weight outside of CICO, period. That is how weight is lost. By eating less calories than your body burns. You don't eat more calories than your body burns and lose weight.

You may be confusing CICO with calorie counting, which is a method of CICO. Many people here practice calorie counting, and are favorable towards it, as this is a calorie counting website. But nobody thinks it's the only way to achieve a calorie deficit.

Other successful ways to achieve a CICO deficit include low carb, keto, intermittent fasting, intuitive eating, and a whole host of other ways of eating. Nobody here is against anyone doing any of those. There are plenty of people who do them here successfully, sometimes in conjunction with calorie counting, sometimes not. That's not the the issue.

The issue is that keto, IF, and other trendy ways of eating are often pushed online as having some sort of weight loss super power that goes above and beyond helping some people regulate their calorie intake to create a calorie deficit. That is simply not true. Studies have consistently shown that long term, low carb is not any more effective than other forms of diet to lose weight. The issue is now that people think that they HAVE to do Keto or IF to lose weight, even if they are not well suited for it. In general, when someone starts a post about not finding low carb a good fit for them, then they probably are not best suited for it. Many people come here flat out shocked that it actually works to just eat what you want in moderated portions.

TLDR: No one way of eating is going to work universally for everyone. People should pick the one that makes controlling their intake the easiest. Weight loss is only accomplished by eating less calories than your body burns, and no diet has superpowers beyond that.

Very well said. Do what works best for you! Thanks!