Gained over 60 pounds from sitting at a desk

Options
Hey Guys, I am a 22 year old who started her first desk job and gained over 60 pounds within a year. Insane, i used to work in a very fast paced environment where i never really had to watch what I ate and never went to the gym. Guess those sunny days are behind me. Need to some help and support. Would love to make some friends through here.

Replies

• mbharber
    mbharber Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At 22 you probably can get away with a lot more than most on here. The easiest answer is to reduce your calorie intake. The 2000 calorie per day probably doesn't apply to you now that you're stationary most of the time. You don't have to go to a gym to get a workout. There's always body resistance exercises and stretching. You could even get some bands that simulate weights for more intense muscle strain.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this! I transitioned to a desk job a number of years ago and really only recently realized how much adjustment I had to make to the rest of my life to accommodate, but rest assured, you can make the change!
  • Bodgeybodge
    Bodgeybodge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when I went freelance. But at 22 you can very easily get the weight back off, you just need to be stricter on your food. Like Mbharber said above, just reduce your cal's you won't need 2000 any more but make sure you are eating good stuff. Lots of fruit and veggies. Clean carbs like jacket potatoes, whole wheat pasta etc. Smaller portion sizes, just be aware of what you are consuming.

Eat when you are hungry not just because it's 1pm. Drink lots of water, tea's, black coffee.

The gym is great if you enjoy it, but there are lots of other things, do you like Yoga? HIIT classes etc... Maybe you could cycle into work? Or walk part of your journey. Or simply make sure you go for 30 mins walk on your lunch break.

Don't try and change too much though. Because you won't stick with it. Just make two changes for now, and stick with those for 12 weeks minimum (the time it can take for the body to adapt to adjustments!).

Good luck!
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I absolutely feel your pain! Changing lifestyle is what landed me on MFP after gaining 20 lbs in a year and a half. It's tough when your job requires lots of sitting. I'm 42 and starting in on here logging everything has really helped me to be more aware of what I eat (and how much). The good news for you is that it will come off really fast at your age.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I am sure this is really common, it certainly happened to me. In my case the desk job brought other firsts: first time having a proper, regular income; first time having set hours and commute (rather than running around several part-time jobs); and first time managing the less pleasant aspects of office work such as stress and boredom.

For a year or two I would eat breakfast at home then buy a (flavored!) coffee and a fruit muffin on the way in to the office just because I could afford it after years of pinching pennies. I would buy bulk candy for 'team morale' and end up eating way more than my share. I would grab a snack at the mall I passed through before getting on a long train ride home, then eat a full dinner on top of it. All of this because I was adjusting to having a desk job for the first time! And of course I was sitting on my butt all day. These little habits really added up and I had to identify and tackle them one by one. Maybe there is something useful in this for you.

I hope the job is working out well and wish you all the best!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    All the best
  • bstover217
    bstover217 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sent friend request. I've also been at a desk job and pounds just kept packing on
  • michelleburton05
    Options
    Same! Totally understand. Friend request sent :)
  • patricechavon
    patricechavon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • Drea0405
    Drea0405 Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    This is tough, and I have struggled with it as well. Best of luck on your journey!
  • mindoverfatter710
    mindoverfatter710 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I sit at a desk. I haven’t gain weight but I haven’t lost! (Until recently). I have however lost muscle. My body doesn’t want to do the things it could before. Still have a desk job but making moves now. Feel free to add me. Always up for a solid support team
  • vincewolpert112
    vincewolpert112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. Use to be on my feet all day running around. Now I ride a desk. Gained 60 in 4 years.
  • Jomotive
    Jomotive Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started as a bank teller when I was 22 or 23ish and I gained 40 pounds in 2 years >.< It's so easy to snack there, too.