Veggies or vegans friends

Options
So watched game changers as it keeps popping up everywhere. So i thought I give it ago for a while.. these no way I can give up milk or eggs etc so vegan is I say impossible for me but I've tried to give meat up but these days I cant, maybe cos i miss the taste or i dont no what to eat, maybe lack of planning who knows.. so basically I need friends on here to help an english fella out. Cheers

Replies

• noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm eating vegetarian these days. In an ideal world I'd go vegan, but vegetarian is working out great currently so sticking with that. Feel free to add!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (ovo lacto) for 45 years. To be frank, I don't recommend that anyone adopt that way of eating unless they have fairly strong ethical reasons to do so. I don't believe that vegetarian (or vegan) diets are healthier than omnivorous diets (any of those types of diets can be healthy or unhealthy, depending on the details). I don't believe that plant-based eating improves athletic performance (though I do think it's compatible with high athletic performance).

Vegetarianism and veganism make it a tiny bit more difficult to get good nutrition, and those ways of eating are slightly less convenient in a mostly omnivorous world, in terms of negotiating social situations (like, say, being invited to dinner at your meat-eating new boss's house), or travel in meat-centric cultures, among other minor differences. Regrettably, it even has the potential to constrain choice of life partners (some people are closed-minded about living with someone with whom they can't fully share cooking and eating). None of those things are major obstacles, but without an ethical reason to make one's life more complex, I can't make a good case that someone should add even those minor complexities.

If you decide you really want to go that route, then one useful source of nutritional information - one more evidence-based and scientific vs. simple advocacy - is this site (even for vegetarians).

https://veganhealth.org/
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Annpt77 has excellent and valid points. I agree wholeheartedly. I was vegan for about a year and have been vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for a couple years since I found it difficult to meet my nutritional needs on a vegan diet. Finding a variety of healthful ways to meet protein requirements and limit carbs can both be a challenge. My diary is open if you are looking for vegetarian food choices. Fair warning, I eat pretty much the same stuff every day :).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    As an almost 15 year vegetarian, I would advise not making dietary changes based solely on a documentary. If being vegetarian or vegan fits your morals, preferences, and/or medical needs, then do it. If not, don't.
  • PlantifulCharissa
    Options
    3 Years vegan and happy. :smile: Also for ethical reasons so maybe thats an extra push to find the plant based alternatives. Lost a fair amount of weight since going vegan but Im here to start weight lifting again and focus on my macros. From a 3rd world country so meals tend to be more whole foods plant based.
  • petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've decided to try to eat more vegetarian for medical reasons. I don't digest meat too well along with many other things.

It will be hard, I agree, without a reason (ethical, medical...) to drive and motivate you. Motivation doesn't always come from others. Most of it comes from yourself.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am a plant based eater who eats a small amount of fish (not even weekly). I also do not consume eggs or dairy.

I started this lifestyle because I was attempting to eat a diet similar to the blue zones, which are the groups of people who live longest. I then developed an aversion to meat and found out that I was lactose intolerant.

Personally I love my diet and wish I changed years ago. Not only did it make my weight loss easier (60 pounds) but I've had many other issues improve and my energy levels at the age of over 50 has skyrocketed (yay carbs!)

There is a lot to consider when changing a diet so drastically. I would recommend small, gradual changes. Good luck. You can add me if you like but I don't currently log my food - I'm maintaining and don't need to track my food really.