Love lbs

Options
Hey y’all. Starting my journey trying to lose the weight I’ve gained over the passed 2 years since I got married. Trying to make a lifestyle change but this ain’t easy! Anyone wanna go down this road with me is welcome! Support will only make it easier!

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!! How many love(:)) lbs do you want to lose? What is your plan? Tracking your numbers makes it a lot easier and helps you see better where changes can be made.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oooooooh the marriage trap! Don’t feel bad, feel enthusiastic about making changes. I’ve said this before... it’s mindset. I’m almost 3 weeks into my calorie deficit and I’ve never felt better. Energy levels have normalised and I’m actively seeking out healthy options and saying no to foods that I know won’t help my cause. You can start whenever you are ready - you got this!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ahh man, I gained the "relationship" lbs, HARD. Like 60lbs hard. I've been steadily losing it since we got engaged in '17 and married last year. I'm in better shape/weight now that we're married than I was in the middle of our relationship!

Does your spouse want to join your journey as well? That could definitely be a huge support. Even if not, I'm sure they'll help encourage you towards your own goals! Ensure you log your foods accurately and consistently and maintain your calorie deficit. Don't think of it as a "diet" that is just temporary, start to find good habits that work for you and your lifestyle that make it easy and routine to stick to instead of feeling like you're depriving yourself of your favorite things. You got this!
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i gained 20 solid love lbs this year, i am here for you!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I recall my wife and I gaining weight soon after being married. Hopefully it means you are very happy, relaxed, and enjoying life. I also recall joining Weight Watchers in solidarity with my wife (although, I probably had a BMI in the normal range at the time). I recommend making each other's health a priority in your marriage.

As an aside:

That was when you went to a meeting every week. There was no software back then, so I created a spreadsheet to track "servings," as they then called them. I showed my spreadsheet to one of the WW organizers one week and she said "wow, you get to eat a lot of food!" Well, at the time I was doing plenty of exercise and was only about 30 years old, so, yes, I got to eat a lot of food! What she didn't say, but was probably thinking, was "why are you here?" I likely was several pound lighter than I am today!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I recommend making each other's health a priority in your marriage.

Couldn't agree more. My wife and I have been married for 6.5 years, together for 10 and thankfully have avoided any significant weight gain. We were open about expectations early on and keeping each other accountable for the food we bring in the house, how much we eat out, etc.

Neither of us struggle with exercise but prefer different methods; I enjoy lifting and loathe most forms of cardio and she's the opposite. Regardless, we help support each others' endeavors by ensuring that time is there for both of us to do what we enjoy, regardless of other circumstances. We had our first child last December and we didn't let it change anything in that regard.

Additionally, I know I should do some cardio and she knows she should do some resistance training so we both try to help the other flex into those areas we're not super fond of. To get me running we do a few local 5-10Ks throughout the year together (now with the jogging stroller too) and I put together a bare bones lifting program for her that she can do while our son naps.

Overall, helping each other be active and healthy, whether it be together or independently has been great for our relationship and created some of fond memories and traditions. Our favorite is coming up next week; each Thanksgiving we run a 10K that benefits our local food bank, stop at Waffle House for a late breakfast on the way home, shower and rest for a few hours before dinner with extended family. It makes for a really nice/fun day.