Starting Over... Kinda

Options
elizabetht264
elizabetht264 Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2019 in Getting Started
10 years ago I lost almost 100 Lbs ...I managed to keep the weight off for 5+ years and then when my best friend and 2 year later my mom passed away, I put more than half of it back on. As I have been working through the grief I've also come to understand more about the pattern of bingeing and restricting that I'd relied on for so long (forever, really).
It's so discouraging feeling like I've failed at being smaller, and at the same time trying to find a way to make healthier choices for both my body and my mind.

I'm looking to build a supportive little group of "friends" that isn't solely focused on the scale, clothing size or before and after photos.
Do you have tricks to both avoid bingeing and stay present in social situations?
How do you stay motivated to get stronger and know when you have pushed your body too hard at the gym (avoid injury)?
Do you know how to stay positive when the scale isn't reflecting your work at changing your diet or activity?
Are you able to put on larger/smaller size clothes without a full-on meltdown?
Will you SHARE your secrets with me!?
Will you FIND the secrets with me!?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Do you have tricks to both avoid bingeing and stay present in social situations?

I don't binge because I have to log what I'm eating and logging in public is a little weird for me - thus I examine my food options, log what I want to eat in a corner somewhere, and then eat what I logged and plated. Having to break my "groove" to log and replate is usually enough to keep me from getting out of hand.
    How do you stay motivated to get stronger and know when you have pushed your body too hard at the gym (avoid injury)?

Experience. The more you work out, the more in tune you will become with your body and individual sensations. The more times you have DOMs, the easier it becomes to distinguish muscle pain from a tendon injury or broken bone. At first, it's all just OMG, PAIN! As you gain experience in whatever activity you're doing, the muscle pain backs off, yet becomes a familiar companion that makes STRETCHING the most WONDERFUL thing ever. Start slow. Do not try to do all the exercise in one day. Like weight loss, fitness is a game of gradual, incremental improvements. It is not necessary to push your body too far to get good results. You just have to push a little on a very regular basis.
    Do you know how to stay positive when the scale isn't reflecting your work at changing your diet or activity?

The scale is just one measure of improvement that these lifestyle changes can invoke. You can lose inches, your cravings can lessen, your cholesterol can lower, your insulin resistance can vanish, your endurance can build, your sleep can improve, your resting heart rate can lower. The scale is but a single tool. Why limit yourself to only a hammer if you can also have a set of screw drivers and a torque wrench?
    Are you able to put on larger/smaller size clothes without a full-on meltdown?

I'm cold all the time, and I usually put on ALL the sizes of clothes, IN LAYERS, starting with the small ones and ending in the hoodie I stole from my husband. :D This is probably not a strategy for anyone who looks as fashionable as you do in your profile picture, but I've been wearing the same clothes for a 40 lb range of myself for the last decade or more.... I just feel like "dress like a slob!" is not the answer you want here... ;-)

Also, hi!
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am starting over myself! Down 25 need to lose 50 more! Please feel free to add me!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started over a few months ago, too, and depression and anxiety are definitely my enemies when it comes to getting in my own way and caring for my body. I'm definitely down to learn more secrets about how to maintain health even when things around me are falling apart, because that is what has resulted in all my weight gain in the past.

For social situations, I do find that I try a bit to avoid situations where there will be pressure to overeat. Instead, I try to create social situations where my friends and I will be physically active, like inviting friends for a hike or hitting the gym with a coworker during lunch instead of going out to eat. Thankfully I'm at that age where my whole group of friends are all pretty concerned about staying healthy as we grow older.
  • elizabetht264
    elizabetht264 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also, hi!
    Wow! Thank you so much for such an insightful and kind reply! I'll definitely be implimenting some of these tips!
  • Jamsalex30904
    Jamsalex30904 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too could use some support! I have been up and down all my life. I am now 325 lbs and starting the journey for the rest of my life starting today. I am determined to make changes to live healthier and happier. Feel free to friend me.