Just wait longer...

Options
Dear Esteemed Strangers of the Internet:

I'm great at being patient with weight loss, but I am very quickly frustrated waiting for doctor's appointments. Apparently, my hypermobile joints are *so special* that I have to see a *particular* sports medicine doc for PT to deal with repeated subluxations of my shoulder. The fastest appointment I could get was a month away.

In the mean time, no one has/can/will tell me if I should stop doing upper body lifts, or alter them or... what I should even be doing with myself in the next month.

I'll probably keep doing most of my lifts, as they seem to make everything feel better. I'm just not sure how to stop all the random stuff that seems to hurt my shoulder. Like... sitting or standing for a long period of time makes the shoulder ache. Reflexively reaching for my back pocket where I used to keep my phone is causing occasional subluxation followed by an annoying period of arm numbness. (I'm trying to stop, obviously, but I've kept my phone in that pocket since I got a phone over 20 years ago, so it's a hard habit to break, even with the pain reminder.) Putting my backpack on too fast can cause a subluxation. Reaching into the over-head cabinet is also causing a problem. Sleeping wrong seems to make the shoulder worse, and again, I'm trying to fix the problem, but altering the position you *sleep in* is difficult to negotiate. Mostly because you're SLEEPING. >_< Basically, this is my dominant arm, and using it less is not happening on any kind of helpful timeline, because 95% of what I do with the arm isn't problematic. It's that thoughtless 5% that's messing everything up.

So, while I wait impatiently for a professional to sort me out, is there anyone with hypermobility issues (neither EDS or Marfan - just basic hypermobility syndrome) that has any tips/tricks/supplements/mnemonics/advice to help me cope while I wait? Like... will icing the shoulder even help? I'm considering maybe applying KT tape- if only to act as an instant reminder not to reach behind me, as perhaps the tape pulling on my skin will be a sufficient impediment to rash movements.

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry that I don’t have any suggestions to help you with your difficulties, but I do think using the tape would help to retrain you to not do certain movements. I think it would be worth a try. Good luck.
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Idk how you’ll feel about this suggestion but maybe get a pregnancy pillow for bed? They tend to be more supportive than body pillows but help restrict you to sleeping one side-not sure this would help but it’s the only idea I had for your sleeping predicament
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Eventually you can train yourself to sleep on the other side. I have it seems. Although now my shoulder is feeling better I'm starting to roll over, but using pillows propped up against you helps retrain your sleeping brain

Can you get surgery to tighten up the ligaments and tendons? My husband's shoulder was chronically popping out so he had some surgery to help.

I recently had my rotator cuff repaired. I am hypermobile and was told it was just a matter of time before something happened. Hyper mobility is hard on the connective parts in the joints. I rehabbing that now and was told I'll get full range of motion back for a normal person.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    @AliNouveau I'm not sure what they'll want to do yet, as I haven't even seen the PT to find out *exactly* what's wrong. Somehow my left arm is problematic and the right is fine, but at this point, I *don't* think a whole lot is damaged yet, due to the fluctuations in pain level and soreness. The rhythm is more akin to muscle inflammation and a nerve pinch than tendon damage at this point, so I'm initially hoping there's just something stupid I do with my right arm that I don't do with my left (like wearing my backpack for the last 20 years on the right shoulder. I've switched and started using my left as the primary for it and it *does* get tired very quickly, which is both fascinating and frustrating). If I can just religiously do some PT exercises and sort my shoulder without surgery, I'd prefer it, I think. Once I've actually SEEN someone who can tell me WHAT ON EARTH the problem is (because I get no exact symptom match on anything I look up, and I think my PCP was having similar problems figuring out exactly what is weird) I think I'll be better able to make a determination on what to do.

Honestly, ANYTHING will be better than "MYSTERY SHOULDER." Will this hurt? I have no idea. Will it hurt tomorrow? Sometimes. Sometimes it will be something else entirely. >_< (This pain movement from chest to back to armpit on the daily is what also makes me suspect that this is strength and posture only at this point and not actual... damage?)
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    @AliNouveau I'm not sure what they'll want to do yet, as I haven't even seen the PT to find out *exactly* what's wrong. Somehow my left arm is problematic and the right is fine, but at this point, I *don't* think a whole lot is damaged yet, due to the fluctuations in pain level and soreness. The rhythm is more akin to muscle inflammation and a nerve pinch than tendon damage at this point, so I'm initially hoping there's just something stupid I do with my right arm that I don't do with my left (like wearing my backpack for the last 20 years on the right shoulder. I've switched and started using my left as the primary for it and it *does* get tired very quickly, which is both fascinating and frustrating). If I can just religiously do some PT exercises and sort my shoulder without surgery, I'd prefer it, I think. Once I've actually SEEN someone who can tell me WHAT ON EARTH the problem is (because I get no exact symptom match on anything I look up, and I think my PCP was having similar problems figuring out exactly what is weird) I think I'll be better able to make a determination on what to do.

Honestly, ANYTHING will be better than "MYSTERY SHOULDER." Will this hurt? I have no idea. Will it hurt tomorrow? Sometimes. Sometimes it will be something else entirely. >_< (This pain movement from chest to back to armpit on the daily is what also makes me suspect that this is strength and posture only at this point and not actual... damage?)

It takes a lot of experimentation and testing to figure out the issue

First I was diagnosed with an impinged shoulder. Then the ultrasound showed a year, 6 months later an MRI showed and even bigger tear and by surgery it was a full tear.

I had the mystery aches and pains. Some days my ribs would hurt, sometimes my bicep. It was always so random.

To answer one of your questions I'd ice it. I was told after activity to ice it and if it hurts don't do it for exercising. Planks and pushup are bad for shoulders. When I saw the surgeon he told me no front raises, side raises, planks or pushups. Hope you get it checked soon and some answers
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    edited November 2019
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    To answer one of your questions I'd ice it. I was told after activity to ice it and if it hurts don't do it for exercising. Planks and pushup are bad for shoulders. When I saw the surgeon he told me no front raises, side raises, planks or pushups. Hope you get it checked soon and some answers

Thank you for this insight! I was looking at those shoulder braces that also hold ice packs just the other day. Did you find that a brace helped or no? I was considering getting one to see if it helps me sleep on my back more consistently by just making side-lying weird, but I do seem to be doing much better on *staying* on my back if I wear high friction clothing to bed and leave the blankets tightly tucked in. Flannel jammies and flannel sheets makes it harder to roll in my sleep. :D

PS - I hope YOUR shoulder heals up fast so you can get back to your regularly scheduled life soon!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Thank you for this insight! I was looking at those shoulder braces that also hold ice packs just the other day. Did you find that a brace helped or no? I was considering getting one to see if it helps me sleep on my back more consistently by just making side-lying weird, but I do seem to be doing much better on *staying* on my back if I wear high friction clothing to bed and leave the blankets tightly tucked in. Flannel jammies and flannel sheets makes it harder to roll in my sleep. :D

PS - I hope YOUR shoulder heals up fast so you can get back to your regularly scheduled life soon!

I just use frozen peas for icing my random parts. The peas are great for shoulders because they kind of mold to it

There is a compression/ice machine i got for after my surgery. If money is no object or you have a friend with one you can borrow I'd recommend it

I can having things taped as the one time I did interacted horribly to the tape. It tore at my skin and hurt a lot

Sleeping....my physio Lady suggested a very thin pillow under my affected arm and then on in front of you to rest your hand on. This worked well and I was able to sleep flat again.

I hope you find some relief. Shoulders suck. I haven't had a full night's sleep for years it feels because they wake you up. Keep strengthening it as much as you can, this was my saving grace. Also do everything the physio says. I'm at almost 6 weeks from surgery and almost full range of motion back and I'm planning on starting my activities back up in the new year.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    @AliNouveau I've always been bitchy about my neck and back, because you tweak them even a little bit and they ruin your entire day, because they're connected to EVERYTHING.

I'm beginning to think the same is true of my stupid shoulder, because when I manage to sleep in a way such that my shoulder is happy, I seem to end up doing something stupid to my neck.

Apparently, I can either LOOK to my left, or I can use the left arm, but BOTH IN THE SAME DAY IS TOO MUCH TO ASK. >_<

December 20th will not get here soon enough.

I will be super compliant to whatever the PT tells me - mostly because my brother's a chiropractor in med school, my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, and my sister is an OT, and ALL OF THEM will heckle me if I don't. :P Honestly, if they lived closer (like, in the same COUNTRY) they'd have had me straightened out YEARS ago.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    @AliNouveau I've always been bitchy about my neck and back, because you tweak them even a little bit and they ruin your entire day, because they're connected to EVERYTHING.

I'm beginning to think the same is true of my stupid shoulder, because when I manage to sleep in a way such that my shoulder is happy, I seem to end up doing something stupid to my neck.

Apparently, I can either LOOK to my left, or I can use the left arm, but BOTH IN THE SAME DAY IS TOO MUCH TO ASK. >_<

December 20th will not get here soon enough.

I will be super compliant to whatever the PT tells me - mostly because my brother's a chiropractor in med school, my uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, and my sister is an OT, and ALL OF THEM will heckle me if I don't. :P Honestly, if they lived closer (like, in the same COUNTRY) they'd have had me straightened out YEARS ago.

The back and shoulder could be blamed on the shoulder issue. They affect so much. I'd get what I thought was a pinched nerve in my back near my shoulder blade. Well it's because of the shoulder. I stopped using a purse because it irritated it!!!

Shoot too bad they don't live near you. Make sure too you're happy with the dr. First sports dr I went to clearly thought I was just a middle aged housewife with an ache. Put me through this ridiculous exam to prove his assistant didn't do her job testing for frozen shoulder. I had an ultrasound report stating I had a significant tear. He was like you just have poor posture and need to loosen up. Um and the tear, we'll just monitor it. Wtf?!?! I curl, the sport on ice, and asked if sweeping will be problematic. He told me I should be using my legs anyway so no. Um sweep with your legs? Ya delivering a rock is mostly legs but the back and forth motion and putting all your weight into your broom to sweep ain't legs. Oh and since I've a crazy range of motion he didn't believe there really was anything. My dr then found me a new guy who works with ballerinas and was great.
  • tauntonmom
    tauntonmom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Would wearing a chunky cuff bracelet or chunky ring on that side help remind you to think twice about certain movements?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    tauntonmom wrote: »
    Would wearing a chunky cuff bracelet or chunky ring on that side help remind you to think twice about certain movements?

It's a good suggestion, but I'm ridiculous about remembering to take my rings off before handling barbells and petting cute dogs. I've limited myself to about 8 stainless steel, titanium, and palladium rings and a rubber watch so that I stop squaring my rings and scratching my poor dogs faces and heads when they come in for pettin's at like... 35mph. When I go out, I tend to wear a lot of heavy silver bangles and leather cuffs because 80's-90's Goth never found out about steam punk in my wardrobe. ;-) A bracelet wouldn't register as anything unusual, I fear.