Healthy flour

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for answering. I'm not saying the regular white flour is unhealthy or dangerous or anything like that. I've read that when white flour is made in process most of nutrition is taken out of it. All the minerals are in the germ, which is removed. There is fiber in the hull that is also lost. When I check most of in "whole wheat" flour is white flour with high percentages with a hand full whole wheat thrown in it. My question was if anyone know better version of flour with better nutrition and fiber.

If you compare the two serving per serving, the differences in fiber and micronutrients are pretty trivial, in the big picture. (I assume you're not eating either one daily, by the pound. ;) ).

I'm confused by the part I bolded in your post. "Whole wheat flour" should be just ground whole wheat. A prepared commercial product - "whole wheat bread", say - may have partly regular white flour. It should be possible to find commercial prepared products with only whole grain flours (no white flour), but they're not going to be among the more budget-priced types, in all likelihood.

This is what I was going to say. I think the poster is likely confusing the flour question with the fact that "whole wheat" on a package may have SOME white flour or else that "wheat" on a package obviously does not mean whole wheat, even if the bread itself is not what we think of as white.

IME, it's pretty easy to find 100% whole wheat flour, just read the flour package (I've baked with it, including the King Arthur kind, when making bread). However, the nutrition difference, especially if one doesn't eat enormous amounts of flour, is going to be minimal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for answering. I'm not saying the regular white flour is unhealthy or dangerous or anything like that. I've read that when white flour is made in process most of nutrition is taken out of it. All the minerals are in the germ, which is removed. There is fiber in the hull that is also lost. When I check most of in "whole wheat" flour is white flour with high percentages with a hand full whole wheat thrown in it. My question was if anyone know better version of flour with better nutrition and fiber.

But you can still get good fiber numbers with other ingredients/foods. The vitamins and minerals that are lacking can be made up too.

In this day and age it's not difficult to get a good variety of foods.
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a gluten-free baker. She uses this stuff almost exclusively, and the things she makes are phenomenal. You just substitute it, as the name says, one-for-one for the wheat flour. Did i mention that the food made from it is phenomenal? Word of warning, however, anything gluten-free is not likely to rise well with yeast,like regular bread, but for cakes, cookies, gravies, gumbo, even pizza crust, it works very well!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/flours-and-meals/gluten-free-1-to-1-baking-flour.html

You can also get it at most regular grocery stores. Here in Dallas, I have found it at Walmart, Winco, Central Market, and Sprouts.

• erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm sick and tired of almond or coconut flour! I'm not on Keto or any low carb diet or doesn't have to be gluten free. Someone can recommend me healthy flour to make anything from baking to make sauces.
    Thank you

Maybe this article will help you on your quest for information about flour:
    https://www.verywellfit.com/flour-nutrition-facts-calories-and-health-benefits-4119166
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I use organic non-gmo white flour for sort of the reasons you mentioned. I don’t use much flour so it’s not expensive in the long run. Organic flour doesn’t really mean much to me, but the additives in regular white flour make my tummy hurt, and the organic doesn’t have all of the additives. I think it has some, but apparently not the one that bothers me. Anyway, I suggest you check it out.
    Also, I do bake sweet things sometimes, and often sub almond flour for regular flour, but I don’t like it in most savory, like gravy, chicken and dumplings, etc.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Swans down cake flour has been around since 1894.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Hmm interesting. You must eat a lot of baked things? I hardly use flour at all, so I don't put a single thought into which flour to get. The cheapest all purpose flour works for me. I buy a bag of flour and it could last me like 2 years lol

Same here. I almost never bake anymore, mostly just for holidays.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Gosh these days there are other types than plain old white flour, that still taste good. Before switching to low carb, I used a variety of other flours than just the basic all purpose. I like to experiment in the kitchen.

Whole wheat flour, sometimes mix with some white if starting to get used to.

Buckwheat, can be used for more than just pancakes, and there is no wheat in it.

Cake flour really does make cakes very light, like sponge cakes.

Bread flour, have used a few times.

Barley flour my least favorite, but there are recipes out there.

Some of the above have more protein than others, and did not check which might be gluten free if any. I do know there are some flours that are gluten free.

I'm kind of amused by this because none of these things are new in any sense of the word, save for maybe cake flour. You might be able to get them easier now than you could 30 years ago, but the use of these flours isn't a "these days" sort of phenomenon.

Cake flour has been around my entire life, and I'm fairly sure for decades before that, and I'm nearing 60.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    In the shops in Australia I've not seen cake flour till recently but it's pretty easy to make up yourself apparently from a mix of a couple of flours. I'm 53 so no things are not the same everywhere. Never heard of it even much till recently and I have worked in the cooking industry too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Flour substitutes often add calories. Use regular flour, then add more vegetables for the extra calories you would have spent on substitutes. You get comparable, if not better, nutrient density than almond and coconut flour that way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Flour substitutes often add calories. Use regular flour, then add more vegetables for the extra calories you would have spent on substitutes. You get comparable, if not better, nutrient density than almond and coconut flour that way.

Good point. Anthony's Almond Flour has 170 calories per 1/4 cup (28 g) and my wheat all purpose and bread flours have 110 calories per 1/4 cup (30 g).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Good point. Anthony's Almond Flour has 170 calories per 1/4 cup (28 g) and my wheat all purpose and bread flours have 110 calories per 1/4 cup (30 g).

[sarcasm] But it's better for you. It says so right here in the advertisement magazine I got from my local health food store. [/sarcasm]
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Not to mention that if you're using them for baking, flour substitutes are not used gram for gram because they're denser and don't puff up, so you end up using more of them to get the same volume of the baked thing. A slice of almond flour bread ends up weighing nearly twice as much as a slice of regular bread. If you're on a low calorie diet and care about nutrition, aiming for good nutrient density per calorie is a better strategy than attempting to maximize nutrition per food item.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    In the shops in Australia I've not seen cake flour till recently but it's pretty easy to make up yourself apparently from a mix of a couple of flours. I'm 53 so no things are not the same everywhere. Never heard of it even much till recently and I have worked in the cooking industry too.

I can't imagine how you could make it yourself from a mix of other flours, since the protein content is lower than all-purpose flour (a.k.a. plain or white flour), bread flour (obviously), and even pastry flour.

And I agree things aren't the same everywhere, but I wouldn't suggest marmite is "new" just because I never saw it in U.S. shops until 30 or 40 years ago, or that vegemite simply doesn't exist because I've never seen it in a U.S. shop.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    so many...buckwheat/oat/spelt/chickpea/kamut/Amaranth/Teff/millet...all really health-ful and flavorful