Is riding a bicycle easier after losing weight?

Options
So I have a bike but haven't ridden it in awhile. About 8 months ago when i bought it i was around 290-300 lbs and i got tired easily and it was tough. I rode it every now and then but i was always tired when riding it. It was tougher than i expected it to be. but i'm down to 237 lbs, i'm wonering if it would be easier to ride it now that i am in so much better shape?

whats your thoughts? i'm thinking about pulling out the ol' bike pump and getting ready to go for a ride on it.!

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing cardio then probably yes. It's not just about weight loss, but fitness.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Go for it!!!!! If it is still difficult, start small and increase speed and distance little by little.
    You may really enjoy it and then you won't be able to give it up and you'll even save on gas! Win win !
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you are more physically fit now, it should be easier regardless of your weight.

If you don't get any more exercise now than you used to, it may be marginally easier since you are moving less weight but will still be very tough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's like any exercise...you have to start slow and gradually increase to progress. It'll be easier with a higher level of fitness to be sure...but still, if you haven't ridden for awhile there are going to be challenges and different muscles used, etc. I started cycling again a couple of months ago and even though I was in pretty good shape from doing a lot of running and training for 5Ks and 10Ks, riding my bike presented it's own challenges.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's about fitness, not weight. You may still have to start small and build on it a little each session.
  • louisemh28
    Options
    It should be easier if you're lighter and fitter, but it also gets easier the more you cycle, so just go out for a short bike ride and build it up gradually. Adjusting the seat height, etc, can make a difference to how tired you get while cycling too.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had to lose weight before I could ride it comfortably. It just hurt too bad to sit like that and a lot of pressure on wrists until I got down to 275 or so.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    So I have a bike but haven't ridden it in awhile. About 8 months ago when i bought it i was around 290-300 lbs and i got tired easily and it was tough. I rode it every now and then but i was always tired when riding it. It was tougher than i expected it to be. but i'm down to 237 lbs, i'm wonering if it would be easier to ride it now that i am in so much better shape?

whats your thoughts? i'm thinking about pulling out the ol' bike pump and getting ready to go for a ride on it.!
    Yes, it's easier on you AND the bike! ;)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Yes, it's easier on you AND the bike! ;)

So agree about easier on the bike, and you, the wheels / spokes will take a hammering from your above average weight, but not a reason to try it, although you may find, as I did, spokes do snap and need to be replaced
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love my bike. I'm working up slowly - I run out of breath a lot faster on it - some exercise guru's split off another category (from cardio and strength) called endurance - they list biking there. I've slacked lately, but I do enjoy it.

Day 1 - I did 6 minutes around a few blocks with the speed set too high - pedaled my butt off and gasping for air. Couldn't adjust speed in dark - couldn't see how. Butt hurt BAD BAD BAD. Got off and legs where like jello and numb.

Day 2 - about the same but with better speed setting.

Day 3 or 4 - up to 9 minutes and a little less butt hurt.

So I can say I started improving quickly. The best change I noticed after just that little bit was my ability to walk/run uphill without losing my breath so quickly and a quicker recovery when I did climb a huge hill where I work. I think it has great benefits.Just start with a truly low goal and then start working up slowly.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You're gonna love it. It tones the whole body. Mine is a mountain bike, I love the way it challenges my legs, LOVE to ride off-road.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think it'll still be difficult, but definitely easier than it used to be. The more you ride, the easier it gets! And it'll be soooo fun once you get better at it!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Best way to find out is to go for it!