Running using a Garmin

Options
Hello,

There is this group now: myfitnesspal.com/Garmin-Connect-Runners

I'm posting to see if any runners want to collaberate, or share ideas on creating Garmin "workouts" or using Garmin Coach to prepare for 5K/10K races, etc.

Are you out there, and tracking your runs?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I joined although I don't use any of the Garmin created workouts. I sometimes create my own (or I should say I put in what my coach has planned). I also started using the VDOT O2 Workouts app for the Garmin watch since my training is based on Jack Daniels plans anyway.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I haven't used any apps...I'm not sure what is available.

What is VDOT OO2?
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just use my Garmin to track my runs, look at my stats from my run (mostly just time, pace and elevations), and also use it to track my work outs for the purpose of tracking calories burned.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    If you have a garmin and you *want to try* adding some running...connect on the group.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly returning to running after a long break for injury rehab.

With that said, I only use my garmin devices to capture (swim/bike/run) data. My coach and I track workout specifics and fitness trends in Training Peaks. With that said, I will check out the group since I could probably use a refresher on Garmin Connect features.
  • dewd2
    Options
    I haven't used any apps...I'm not sure what is available.

What is VDOT OO2?

https://vdoto2.com/
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Wow, that is a very impressive webpage....I'll have to look into it more...Sure I want to be a much better runner. :wink:
  • dewd2
    Options
    Wow, that is a very impressive webpage....I'll have to look into it more...Sure I want to be a much better runner. :wink:

It works well if you are using one of Jack Daniels' plans. Otherwise the paces and instructions make little sense. But if you are it makes it super easy to use your watch to follow the plan.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I use garmin, but I dont use their workouts.
    Instead I follow a plan and input the different runs on that plan as workouts, which I then run. So if I have an interval run in the plan then I create a workout and then just start that when I'm ready to go.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    A couple have joined, it will be good to see it became useful and motivating.

There is this group now: myfitnesspal.com/Garmin-Connect-Runners
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

It works well if you are using one of Jack Daniels' plans. Otherwise the paces and instructions make little sense. But if you are it makes it super easy to use your watch to follow the plan.

and by Jack Daniels he means...

51XwM-3XZrL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

not...

317.thm350.jpg

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    Excellent, there are now five runner/MFPers in the group. Let's create a place to get details on getting activities sync'd with MFP, how to use running workouts to support our efforts on MFP, and support people on MFP who are wanting to use their Garmins and running in their fitness goals.

This is the group myfitnesspal.com/Garmin-Connect-Runners
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. Have a new device arriving next week and would love to connect with other garmin users. Will probly need some tips and advice how to use all the features it has. I am upgrading a lot.
    Want to become a better runner and then some.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    MsOpus wrote: »
    Want to become a better runner and then some.

Me too. Sounds exciting getting a new watch. Good time of year for deals too. 😁
  • melking1969
    melking1969 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I am just learning to use my garmin...so far just for steps etc. I am happy to join the group, it would probably give me the motivation I need. :)
  • chris_in_cal
    edited November 2019
    Options
    so far just for steps etc.
    Great, that's what I initially did too.
    I knew though that once my MFP logging started paying off and I lost some weight I wanted to carefully begin running. (my motto is 'don't hurt yourself') I used steps to sort of get my schedule and footwear in order, and gain understanding of how my Garmin worked.

It is all still happening... :smiley:

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    MsOpus wrote: »
    Just joined the group. Have a new device arriving next week and would love to connect with other garmin users.

Which one did you get? This week is "Sales Galore" on these, I hope you got a good deal.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Upgraded to a fenix 5s plus
    Was a great deal. Only 50 bucks more than a FR245M/645M which were both the same price.
    Was concerned about size, I have tiny wrists, but it fits and feels fantastic so far. Never liked the old vivoactive HR for the fit and poor comfort.
    Looking forward to taking it for its first run!