Seniors losing weight: support and motivation

Options
gruiz21
gruiz21 Posts: 10 Member
Hi. I'm a 73 years old woman who was just told I have high blood pressure; this added to my knee arthritis and thyroid condition. Doc said if I lose weight I can conquer the blood pressure and improve my knee situation. So that is my motivation besides wanting to look good. My goal is weight loss increments of 10 lbs each and having a small celebration each time. But don't know how to reward myself. I am a good listener and supporter and like to explore all thoughts about weight loss. Hope I hear from you.

Replies

• Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It isn't easy, so I won't sugar coat it, but if you focus and keep your goal and reasons in mind, you can skip the junk calories and keep your calorie count low. Also, work out some. Simply walk a bit, or use a bike or an elliptical at a local gym (my insurance supplement includes Silver Sneakers which gives me free basic membership to a number of good gyms). Makes a huge difference.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I’m 70, also trying to lose for health reasons. I am headed to my first Silver Sneakers class today.
    As for rewards, lots of people recommend things like manicure/pedicure, new clothes, new haircut, new electronic toy.
    There are lots of good groups to join here. Might as well jump right in.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I am a "baby" senior [65 next year] and I can attest that losing weight absolutely tones down arthritis conditions. Full disclosure, having bad joints replaced as I did my hips this year won't hurt 🙂. My high weight for the year was 281 in May, not yet a month out from second surgery. As my rehab, PT & exercise continued and improved, along with renewed focus on calories I have seen the weight to just a shade over 240 today. My lastest doctor ordered lab tests also showed vast improvement in my overall health and my disposition has brightened more than it's been in a long time. I recently joined a fitness center operated by ny health care network. I have seen aqua and land based classes (for both fitness and arthritis) well attended by my elder peers. Maybe that could be an option if it's not something you are already doing or looking into. Best of luck and good wishes.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! 🧡

If you haven’t already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum.

I’m 61. I lose 5 pounds at a time. That means my next goal is always in reach.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    gruiz21 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a 73 years old woman who was just told I have high blood pressure; this added to my knee arthritis and thyroid condition. Doc said if I lose weight I can conquer the blood pressure and improve my knee situation. So that is my motivation besides wanting to look good. My goal is weight loss increments of 10 lbs each and having a small celebration each time. But don't know how to reward myself. I am a good listener and supporter and like to explore all thoughts about weight loss. Hope I hear from you.

Hi about same age 72, health issues have slowed my weight loss and have failed Ed after surgeries. So struggling but I do want to get back to Losing again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    gruiz21 wrote: »

Welcome!

Some things that can be good rewards are new hobby "toys" for whatever hobbies you have (maybe fitness-related if you start getting into that, otherwise crafts or whatever you enjoy), something like a spa day or professional massage, some nice-scented luxurious soap/lotion sort of thing, an enjoyable experience like a special musical event or play, etc. For some people, getting new clothes as they get smaller can be a good reward, but I'm an oddball who hates to clothes-shop, so for me that "new clothes" thing was more of a punishment. ;)

FWIW, I did find that losing weight** brought my high blood pressure, and high cholesterol/triglycerides, solidly back into the normal ranges. I also have less pain/discomfort from my (relatively mild) osteoarthritis and torn meniscus, and that pain/discomfort troubles me less often. It made a pretty big difference, for me. Exercise can also help with blood pressure, and that's something we can work into gradually, using activities that are a tiny bit challenging but manageable, then increasing slowly as strength increases and pain descreases. More strength can also reduce joint pain sometimes, too, by strengthening the stabilizing muscles.

** I lost about 50 pounds back in 2015 at age 59-60, and I've stayed at a healthy weight since, after 3 decades plus of obesity before that. I'm also hypothyroid, but that's well-managed with medication, so not a meaningful factor for me. I'm now 64, and pretty active. MFP was a huge help, both as a tool that made the process easier/more manageable, and via all the good information available from the community.

Best wishes!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. You can do this. Wishing you success!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    You cain do this but you have to stick at it since doing more exercise I have had less back and hip pain but I do have to watch my knee its about being flexible and adapting exercises to fit your own needs. Logging food has heped me keep on track. Good luck!
  • sandrakarinab
    sandrakarinab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I go for the “new piece of clothing” reward AND a lazy day (guilt-free). My reward marker is a 5kg loss (close enough to 10lbs). In between, I’ll run in side seams of loose garments for that “looking better” mini reward.

Now, can someone suggest what to do with that packet of biscuits, bag of nuts and bag of potato chips that I’ve hidden away for visitors but is now getting close to the the “use by”?
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    I go for the “new piece of clothing” reward AND a lazy day (guilt-free). My reward marker is a 5kg loss (close enough to 10lbs). In between, I’ll run in side seams of loose garments for that “looking better” mini reward.

Now, can someone suggest what to do with that packet of biscuits, bag of nuts and bag of potato chips that I’ve hidden away for visitors but is now getting close to the the “use by”?

Good ideas I do that to my clothes too, I would eat the potato chips, share the biscuits out with a neighbour over a cup of tea and snack on the nuts in an evening then don!t buy anymore.
  • YEPxPO55
    YEPxPO55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gave my goodies to the grandkids and explained that I will no longer have these available for visits When I told them I would have instead, fruit and jerky and they were very excited! It has worked out better for all of us.
  • sandrakarinab
    Options
    I just checked my hi-cal food stash. Nuts and sweet biscuits have already vanished 🤔.
    Chips should be still good by the next card night I go to. Savoury biscuits are good for a couple more months - will be my one and only standby for unplanned visitors.

Next question: When I’m feeling lazy, my body seems to want to gravitate towards food/drink, and I’m not talking carrot sticks and herbal teas. Any suggestions? I know that trying to curbing the laziness is one.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Next question: When I’m feeling lazy, my body seems to want to gravitate towards food/drink, and I’m not talking carrot sticks and herbal teas. Any suggestions? I know that trying to curbing the laziness is one.

A hot drink, like decaf coffee or tea, is filling and soothing for me.

Once in a while I've tried sugarless gum, but even that has about 5 calories a stick, or 75 calories for most of those small packs

For my own laziness, I think about my bad blood test results, the high cholesterol and high triglycerides I hope have gone down by now, my high blood pressure that goes down with weight loss and exercise, how I absolutely don't want to start taking meds when I can do something about it myself. Then I tell myself to get up and take a walk. It doesn't have to be a major workout, just a walk somewhere and back.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

A hot drink, like decaf coffee or tea, is filling and soothing for me.

Once in a while I've tried sugarless gum, but even that has about 5 calories a stick, or 75 calories for most of those small packs

For my own laziness, I think about my bad blood test results, the high cholesterol and high triglycerides I hope have gone down by now, my high blood pressure that goes down with weight loss and exercise, how I absolutely don't want to start taking meds when I can do something about it myself. Then I tell myself to get up and take a walk. It doesn't have to be a major workout, just a walk somewhere and back.

I agree totally. Hot decaf with 1/4 serving of something high protein or fat = 4 nuts, small bite of jerky, something that takes some chewing.

For laziness, I think about how much exercise I have added to my life, and I give myself permission to take it easy one day. My body probably needs it. I just take a slow walk through the park, or shopping. Some way to move, but not push too hard.

• sandrakarinab
    Options
    Thanks hollis100 and corinasue1143 .

I’m off to the shops soon and have added sugarless gum to my list. Good for the teeth too, I hear.

As for the walking, I must admit that I’ve dropped it from my routine this last week. I’ve started a scalp treatment that I do first thing in the morning, before my shower. I guess there’s no reason why I can’t do my walk after, and have a second quick shower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I just checked my hi-cal food stash. Nuts and sweet biscuits have already vanished 🤔.
    Chips should be still good by the next card night I go to. Savoury biscuits are good for a couple more months - will be my one and only standby for unplanned visitors.

I'm a little curious exactly what you mean by lazy in this context, as I could interpret it in several ways: Not as active, so kind of bored? Fatigued (maybe under-slept or something), which tends to bump up the appetite hormones? Don't feel like putting effort into fixing more complicated but less calorie-dense food?

Depending on the details, good solutions might differ. (For each of the above scenarios, respectively, I'd go with absorbing sedentary hobby (or walk if enough energy for that), something restful but distracting (perhaps even a nap) or caffeine, or keeping ready-to-eat shelf-stable nutritious snacks on hand). In my experience, for myself, if there's an underlying problem that isn't actual physical hunger, then the best solution isn't food. ;)

Best wishes!
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Thanks hollis100 and corinasue1143 .

I’m off to the shops soon and have added sugarless gum to my list. Good for the teeth too, I hear.

One more comment about the sugarless gum. This may be TMI, but it's reality, and we're all here to help each other. Sugarless gum upsets some people's stomachs, meaning it can give you gas if you chew more than a few sticks. Often, sorbitol is an ingredient, which is also an ingredient in laxatives.

https://solvingtheibspuzzle.com/chewing-gum-and-gas/

In addition to decaf coffee and tea, if I'm really hungry and have the calories, a cup of soup, like low-sodium vegetable, is very filling -- only about 100 calories. I like Amy's brand soups.
  • sandrakarinab
    Options

I'm a little curious exactly what you mean by lazy in this context, as I could interpret it in several ways: Not as active, so kind of bored? Fatigued (maybe under-slept or something), which tends to bump up the appetite hormones? Don't feel like putting effort into fixing more complicated but less calorie-dense food?

Best wishes![/quote]

Point taken. By lazy I mean ” unwilling to work or use energy” as in the dictionary. No excuse of fatigue or boredom, just looking for an excuse to avoid chores.
    Thanks for the suggestions for when the “laziness” is valid though.
  • sandrakarinab
    Options
    Sorry for the formatting....that was meant to include some of the original quote properly! Need to check preview first!