Macronutrient help

Options
Hi, I'm new to myfitnesspal, and need some advice setting the macronutrient goals. I was recently diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease due to gaining wait and just loving carbs too much. I cut all carbs out except for veggies and fruit, so no bread, pasta, sweets, sugar, etc., and have lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks, but have stalled out.
In the myfitnesspal app I can set my goals, like 30% carb, 30% fat, etc., and am not sure what percentages would be best for a healthy weight loss. I'm not going full Keto, way too fatty for me, but is 30% of the diet too much fat? I want some carbs through fruits and veggies, but definitely no refined stuff.
Does anyone have a good ratio that helps them? Many thanks!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you able to see an RD who can advise you about nutrition for people with your specific medical needs?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I agree with @apullum about seeing a registered dietician to help you work things out as is appropriate for your medical condition, but as to your other question, my macros are usually set to 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. So 30% is fine.

Except, I'm not currently eating that way, because I'm recovering from my OWN medical malfunction, that seems to have put me off lipids for a while. Thus my split is a bit awkward at the moment, hopefully temporarily.
  • PhotographerSue
    PhotographerSue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply - thank you both for the info. I haven't seen anyone yet, was just told to cut the simple carbs and that's it. I will look into that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to myfitnesspal, and need some advice setting the macronutrient goals. I was recently diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease due to gaining wait and just loving carbs too much. I cut all carbs out except for veggies and fruit, so no bread, pasta, sweets, sugar, etc., and have lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks, but have stalled out.
    In the myfitnesspal app I can set my goals, like 30% carb, 30% fat, etc., and am not sure what percentages would be best for a healthy weight loss. I'm not going full Keto, way too fatty for me, but is 30% of the diet too much fat? I want some carbs through fruits and veggies, but definitely no refined stuff.
    Does anyone have a good ratio that helps them? Many thanks!

The macros you use are largely for compliance. I tend to focus more on protein and fiber but I also don't have NAFL. But I am also following a keto diet.

How long have you been stalled? And are you concentrating on calories? Do you use a food scale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If you were in a lab where calories were controlled, you would lose weight on any macro split. In general, 30% fat (or more) is not a problem, but do ask a medical professional if this is a consideration for your condition, and preferably get a referral to an RD, as doctors get inadequate training in nutrition.

How much weight do you have to lose total and how long is your stall? Depending on how much you have to lose, 9 pounds in 6 weeks could be perfect, too fast, or could be faster.
  • PhotographerSue
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @psuLemon My weight loss has resumed, down 17 pounds now but it's very slow. I do have a scale but it's been in the cupboard for years. I am somewhat vague on portion sizes, so measuring is a great idea.
  • PhotographerSue
    Options
    @kshama2001 Weight loss is resuming, but very slow. I'm down 17 now and have another 30 pounds to go, so I imagine it will take some time but I'm ok with that.