Anybody know why this happens?

I have fitbit and mfp linked.
Whenever I check back to the previous day ant leftover calories have either decreased or gone alltogether! This happens even If I don't manually enter any exercise
Help anyone? Thank you x

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    (1) Is the Fitbit new? I'm not sure how their algorithm works, but it seems to have a few days learning curve.

(2) Fitbit works on a 24 hr day, so adjustments continue to happen through midnight. If you are very active early in the day and a couch potato at night, the adjustment will go down. Again, the algorithm seems to get better at predicting as time passes.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    (1) Is the Fitbit new? I'm not sure how their algorithm works, but it seems to have a few days learning curve.

(2) Fitbit works on a 24 hr day, so adjustments continue to happen through midnight. If you are very active early in the day and a couch potato at night, the adjustment will go down. Again, the algorithm seems to get better at predicting as time passes.

• It's actually quite old. I'm pretty sedentary from 9pm onwards but on my feet until then
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It's actually quite old. I'm pretty sedentary from 9pm onwards but on my feet until then

That's the problem depending on when you last look at the MFP adjustment. Combo of things can make it worse.

Fitbit is only going to send new daily burn figure when it's 100 higher than prior sync.
    For sitting time earning BMR/sleeping level of burn, that can mean over 1 hour before another sync.

Depending on when you go to bed and see a last figure, you could be about to receive an update that would remove some positive adjustment.

Depending on time of that sync - MFP is estimating rest of the day at Sedentary (or higher if you selected higher activity level) level of burn, which is 1.25 x BMR (or higher), but next day sync Fitbit is going to tell the account and Fitbit account will sync to MFP account it was actually BMR level of burn. So adjustment removed.

If you normally hit the couch to bed at the same time, it's either easy to calculate what the difference will be, or just note it a few times to get an idea - and when you eat to final goal for the day you leave that much in the green.
    Knowing by the next day it'll be gone.

Example:
    BMR - 1600
    Sedentary daily burn per MFP estimate - 2000
    Per hour burn rate 83
    BMR 67 per hour.

Hit couch by 9 and look at final eating goal then.
    3 hrs left at 83 = 250 estimated.
    Fitbit will give at 67 = 200.
    Leave 50 in the green.

If 9 pm is near end of time you are about to get an update but haven't yet, there could be an extra hour in there too.
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply x