Fat Loss Timelines

peachvine29
peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you find that having a timeline/time-based goals/deadline helps or hurts your rate of progress?

I know for my initial goal I wanted to weigh 135 lbs. by November 29, 2018.
I was 153 by that time, and didn't reach 135 lbs. until May 2019 which I still am today.
Now I am wanting to be 125 by Summer 2020, but that is giving me some pressure.
Maybe I should drop the time restrictions?

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    If you set your rate of loss at half a pound per week there is no reason you shouldn't be able to hit that goal by then. I don't see any issue with having a timeline as long as the goal is reasonable and not overly aggressive. With your proposed timeline, it allows for slip ups and the occasional diet break if needed, so I say go for it. Sometimes it does help to have a timeline goal to keep you on track and accountable.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2019
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    If you set your rate of loss at half a pound per week there is no reason you shouldn't be able to hit that goal by then. I don't see any issue with having a timeline as long as the goal is reasonable and not overly aggressive. With your proposed timeline, it allows for slip ups and the occasional diet break if needed, so I say go for it. Sometimes it does help to have a timeline goal to keep you on track and accountable.

^This. While I don't usually have a strict date, I have a goal month where another goal starts. Otherwise I find I am not as consistent and say " meh I look good enough" (to add: especially when it comes to vanity lbs which is also in your case)
  • peachvine29
    Do you find that having a timeline/time-based goals/deadline helps or hurts your rate of progress? I know for my initial goal I wanted to weigh 135 lbs. by November 29, 2018. I was 153 by that time, and didn't reach 135 lbs. until May 2020 which I still am today. Now I am wanting to be 125 by Summer 2021, but that is giving me some pressure. Maybe I should drop the time restrictions.

Um. It's still 2019 where I am...

Gah, sorry! Fixed. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hurts. I do terribly under pressure and tend to self-sabotage. The more I allow myself to fail, the more I actually succeed. Yes, that sounds weird, but it's worked for me, lol. I recall mentioning in another thread that I also keep all my fat clothes just in case, for the same reason.

Works for me too. I do not worry about intentionally or unintentionally going over my calories as long as it is rare. I even have my permission if I have a bad day to eat more if I feel like it will help. All of this makes it easier for me and I rarely go over my calories unless it was an honest mistake or it was intentional like a special occasion.

This is what happens to me when I feel pressured by a deadline:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10762903/how-i-went-from-sustainable-to-unsustainable/p1
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hurts. I do terribly under pressure and tend to self-sabotage. The more I allow myself to fail, the more I actually succeed. Yes, that sounds weird, but it's worked for me, lol. I recall mentioning in another thread that I also keep all my fat clothes just in case, for the same reason.

Works for me too. I do not worry about intentionally or unintentionally going over my calories as long as it is rare. I even have my permission if I have a bad day to eat more if I feel like it will help. All of this makes it easier for me and I rarely go over my calories unless it was an honest mistake or it was intentional like a special occasion.

This is what happens to me when I feel pressured by a deadline:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10762903/how-i-went-from-sustainable-to-unsustainable/p1

Oooh, I'll check that thread out.

I give myself permission to eat at maintenance everyday, even when I just feel like it (like today, there were cookies in the break room). This has helped a ton, and I've very rarely unintentionally gone over maintenance (i.e. Thanksgiving and Christmas don't count).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    If you manage to successfully put in place and adhere to a flexible process that will eventually get you and keep you there, then you will actually get and stay there!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    A timeline viewed much like a weight averaging app might help. A strict one probably not so much.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    It hurts me. I can’t really control exactly how fast I lose. I can do the work-and provided I’m doing the work, it will all balance out eventually.

But What happens if end up taking an unexpected trip, or need to up my calories to keep up with a training schedule, or I get sick/injured/need surgery and can’t stick to the targets necessary to meet the time goal? Did I fail? Do I regroup?

I choose to set my goals to be to do the things I can control-which means sticking to my calorie goal (whatever it happens to be at that time) and my training plan.

The rest will fall into place. I’ll get there when I get there.
  • peachvine29
    Thank you for the feedback everyone! Very helpful. It seems that all of us are different when it comes to this.
    It hurts me. I can’t really control exactly how fast I lose. I can do the work-and provided I’m doing the work, it will all balance out eventually.

But What happens if end up taking an unexpected trip, or need to up my calories to keep up with a training schedule, or I get sick/injured/need surgery and can’t stick to the targets necessary to meet the time goal? Did I fail? Do I regroup?

I choose to set my goals to be to do the things I can control-which means sticking to my calorie goal (whatever it happens to be at that time) and my training plan.

The rest will fall into place. I’ll get there when I get there.

This is what I most resonate with I think. I struggle with consistency with these vanity pounds, some days I don't have a good enough reason not to eat more and I am working through that. I thought a timeline or deadline might help but I don't know if it is. Lately it has been one step forward one step back, I know it is only up to me to commit to my deficit and do it. By the end of December I planned to be at 132.5 average pounds (I use Happy Scale) but am averaging 136, I'm not sure it's possible to get to 132.5 losing half a pound a week and with the holidays and my birthday coming up, and that disappoints me.

I have heard that it is better to focus on what you can directly control, not your weight, but your daily habits that support your weight, such as getting 8 hours sleep, working out, hitting calorie goals. I may start to focus on that!