Cutting Back on Weight Training

Options
I've been doing a weight lifting program for about 6 months where I lift 3-4 days a week. 6 months ago I weighed 168.8lbs. Today I weighed and I'm up to 180.4lbs. I can tell that I have more muscle on my body, as my shoulders, arms, and back are looking a more defined, but seeing the scale go up that much is a little disconcerting. I will say that probably 4-5lbs is weight gain (fat) since I've been a little inconsistent with my diet lately.

I want to get back to focusing on weight loss and slimming down and not so much muscle gains.

What's the best way to cut back on weight training while maintaining the gains I've made thus far? Should I implement a high rep/low weight regimen?

Replies

• brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Should I implement a high rep/low weight regimen?

No that's a poor idea.
    The idea came about from advanced bodybuilders who were taking PEDS - it worked for them because of the PEDS but is counter-productive if you are natural.

Would suggest just following your current training program but adjusting the volume if you really want to but TBH I wouldn't change anything if you program works for you. If you feel you really NEED to reduce volume it could be taken as a sign you are cutting too fast (excessive calorie deficit).

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit not your training style.

About a month ago, I changed my caloric deficit from 1200 to 1560 because I felt like I wasn't eating enough. I just feel like I'm bulking up faster than I'm losing the weight and I'm starting to look fat, which is why I wanted to reduce volume. I feel like I've wasted a whole year of training because I'm heavier now than when I started.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

No that's a poor idea.
    The idea came about from advanced bodybuilders who were taking PEDS - it worked for them because of the PEDS but is counter-productive if you are natural.

Would suggest just following your current training program but adjusting the volume if you really want to but TBH I wouldn't change anything if you program works for you. If you feel you really NEED to reduce volume it could be taken as a sign you are cutting too fast (excessive calorie deficit).

About a month ago, I changed my caloric deficit from 1200 to 1560 because I felt like I wasn't eating enough. I just feel like I'm bulking up faster than I'm losing the weight and I'm starting to look fat, which is why I wanted to reduce volume. I feel like I've wasted a whole year of training because I'm heavier now than when I started.

Sorry but that's really confusing!
    When you say "I changed my caloric deficit from 1200 to 1560" to you actually mean you raised your calorie goal as increasing your deficit would be the opposite (eating less)?
    But as you are gaining weight you aren't in a deficit.

If you are looking fat it's from fat gain and not from your training - but that contradicts your OP which said your definition is improving (getting leaner).

Don't understand this either "I feel like I've wasted a whole year of training because I'm heavier now than when I started" - if you are deliberately bulking (calorie surplus resulting in weight gain) then yes you are getting heavier because that's the idea of bulking.
    Your training is to build muscle - if you have built muscle then it achieved its goal.

Maybe a photo would help as well as clearly stating what you are aiming to do along the lines of get heavier (or not), add muscle (or not)? Physique goals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

No that's a poor idea.

You can't really bulk up on 1200-1500 calories per day. If you gained 10ish Lbs in 6 months, you're eating more than that. You aren't going to build any kind of meaningful muscle on 1200-1500 calories per day. Building muscle is an anabolic state...being in a deficit is a catabolic state.
  • brandigyrl81
    Options

No that's a poor idea.

Sorry but that's really confusing!
    When you say "I changed my caloric deficit from 1200 to 1560" to you actually mean you raised your calorie goal as increasing your deficit would be the opposite (eating less)?
    But as you are gaining weight you aren't in a deficit.

If you are looking fat it's from fat gain and not from your training - but that contradicts your OP which said your definition is improving (getting leaner).

Don't understand this either "I feel like I've wasted a whole year of training because I'm heavier now than when I started" - if you are deliberately bulking (calorie surplus resulting in weight gain) then yes you are getting heavier because that's the idea of bulking.
    Your training is to build muscle - if you have built muscle then it achieved its goal.

Maybe a photo would help as well as clearly stating what you are aiming to do along the lines of get heavier (or not), add muscle (or not)? Physique goals?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm saying that I was eating around 1200 calories per day. A couple of months ago, I felt I like I wasn't eating enough, so I started eating 1560 calories per day.

When I originally mentioned that my arms, shoulders, and back are looking more defined, they are looking more defined, but I'm looking more bulky, as if I'm building that muscle on top of fat, without the fat going anywhere. Within the 6 months of being on a weight program, I was hoping, by now, to have slimmed down, in addition to building that muscle.

My goal is basically to build muscle, while still able to lose weight on the scale.
  • brandigyrl81
    Options

You can't really bulk up on 1200-1500 calories per day. If you gained 10ish Lbs in 6 months, you're eating more than that. You aren't going to build any kind of meaningful muscle on 1200-1500 calories per day. Building muscle is an anabolic state...being in a deficit is a catabolic state.[/quote]

So basically I need to continue my lifting program and just pay more attention to how many calories I'm eating?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

You can't really bulk up on 1200-1500 calories per day. If you gained 10ish Lbs in 6 months, you're eating more than that. You aren't going to build any kind of meaningful muscle on 1200-1500 calories per day. Building muscle is an anabolic state...being in a deficit is a catabolic state.

So basically I need to continue my lifting program and just pay more attention to how many calories I'm eating?[/quote]

Yes...lifting =/= gaining weight. If you're consistently gaining weight, you are overall in a surplus. Lifting will initially cause a bump in the scale due to water retention...but consistently gaining weight over months = calorie surplus.

10ish Lbs over 6 months would indicate a very small surplus over maintenance of around 250ish calories per month...this would indicate that your logging is either off substantially, or you do have days you're 1200-1500, but more days when you're over that, unaccounted cheats, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Under really ideal conditions**, a woman would be getting good results if she gained a pound of new muscle per month.

If you're weight training progressively, you might also be holding onto some water weight for muscle repair. I'm one who tends to add that water weight when I start lifting, and hold onto it until I stop lifting, rather than cycling on and off in rhythm with workouts. I only gain a couple of water pounds, but I've seen other women say as much as 5-7 pounds.

You're saying you're up 11.6 pounds, so it could be that (muscle + water retention). Without intending to be brutal, that would mean that you build muscle very unusually fast, and/or retain water at the higher end, which is somewhat unlikely.

If you're consistently eating 1560 calories (total) every day (maybe the very rare over day), at 168-180 pounds, I'd expect you to be losing weight. If that's calories before exercise, I guess I'd ask how many exercise calories you add and for what exercise. You mention getting a little loose with your food logging lately, and that's more likely the culprit.

I'm not 100% clear what you're asking: If you actively don't want to get any more muscular than you currently are, then going to a strength/mass maintenance level of training would be a good plan (and others can advise you better about how to do that than I). If the issue is fat gain, then the answer is to actually stick to a calorie deficit the overwhelming majority of the time (and account for overages so you know what's what), and there's no reason not to keep strength training as long as you can sustain adequate energy for daily life alongside that. Getting adequate nutrition, especially protein, on the deficit would be a good idea. If your deficit hinders your muscle/strength gains, you'll see that on the performance side (but it will sort out when you eventually go to maintenance).

You're very, very unlikely to continue making significant muscle-mass gains on a consistent calorie deficit, but mass and strength, or mass and appearance, are not necessarily as tightly linked (especially in people in the early months of training) as a lot of people seem to assume.

FWIW, I lost pretty aggressively on 1400-1600 gross calories, eating exercise calories on top of that, at your size. I'm not saying that would be true for you, because everyone has different details, but if you want to keep any muscle gains you may have made, I think you want to keep doing some level of strength exercise, and not go for a super-aggressive weight loss rate. I don't know how tall you are, so I don't know what the definition of "aggressive" would be, but 2 pounds a week would almost certainly be too fast, on the one hand; and if 168 is close to goal weight, 0.5 pounds a week might be very reasonable as a maximu.

Best wishes!

** Ideal conditions include a good progressive strength training program performed diligently and consistently, good nutrition including adequate protein, decent genetics, relative youth, and a calorie surplus.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Under really ideal conditions**, a woman would be getting good results if she gained a pound of new muscle per month.

** Ideal conditions include a good progressive strength training program performed diligently and consistently, good nutrition including adequate protein, decent genetics, relative youth, and a calorie surplus.

Agree. Pretty much a college off-season program under the supervision of a coach. Not going to happen for the majority of trainees.