Anyone not up their MFP calories?

Has anyone not upped their set MFP calories for maintenance to avoid overeating? I had less than 10 lbs to lose but have really enjoyed having MFP available to track my eating and exercise. I had it set to lose .5 lbs a week, so my deficit was only 250 a day calorie wise. I've been eating a lot healthier and exercising more and have reached the weight my body seems to like that I'm also happy with. My main goal now is to just continue this lifestyle, maybe exercising a little more and just toning what I have now.

It just gives me peace of mind to have my calories set at that .5 lb loss a week. Overall I still try to stick with the calorie goal because it would be nice to lose just a couple more pounds, but I feel way less guilty if I go over because I know I'm not at a surplus for the day. There are still days where I'm at a surplus even for maintenance, but I don't beat myself up for it because I know it's balancing out with the rest of my days where I'm at a deficit by just meeting the calorie goal. I feel like I play a mental game trying to be right at my goal, and if I have the goal still set at a deficit, that goes away and makes me feel more at ease.

Maybe I'm just weird, but does anyone else work this way?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No, I like to eat as much as I can! I woud definitely enjoy those extra 250 cals!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    No....why would I eat at a deficit to maintain? If you're worried about going over all of the time or whatever, you should probably check your overall eating habits and work on that as a separate issue. Ultimately, you should strive to be able to just be "normal" and listen to your body to know what it needs. I've been maintaining for 5 months and I don't track anything anymore...I eat right and get my nutrition on and I get my fitness on and all is right with the world and I find maintenance to be very easy.
  • No....why would I eat at a deficit to maintain? If you're worried about going over all of the time or whatever, you should probably check your overall eating habits and work on that as a separate issue. Ultimately, you should strive to be able to just be "normal" and listen to your body to know what it needs. I've been maintaining for 5 months and I don't track anything anymore...I eat right and get my nutrition on and I get my fitness on and all is right with the world and I find maintenance to be very easy.

In the past when I counted calories, I ended up with a lot of disordered eating habits and thoughts. I was so obsessed with the number and it really consumed my life. I was scared to start up again, but I've been doing really well this time around. Giving myself that buffer where I can go over my "goal" but not have to feel guilty is better for my psychological wellbeing. I also wouldn't mind continuing to lose slowly like I mentioned.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    I actually had mfp set to maintenance for most of my weight loss, and would aim to be 3500 under per week. Now it's still set to maintenance and I aim to either be barely under for the week or a few hundred under for the week depending on if I'm trying to maintain or trying to lose a bit slowly. ;)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I don't play mental games, but I haven't upped my calories. I have upped my exercise, however, so am eating more so it's easy for me to stick to my calorie goals. I'd like to put on more muscle and maybe take off a few inches.

I'm not losing any weight so I don't think upping calories makes sense. MFP has a model of what an average person needs to eat to lose. I'm older and my body is different from other people's. I'm also at what I think of as my 'natural' weight. It's where I graduated from college, where I got back to after my pregnancies, and where my body likes to sit. I want to stay here long enough that my body's 'thermostat' decides this is what homeostasis is again. I do find that I am closer to my calorie goals now (don't go under as much). I also got a fitbit so am measuring my exercise more carefully. It seems to be working out.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    I know exactly what you mean, and if it works for you, I say go for it. It's probably strange to some people, but it can be a little bit scary to be facing the increase to maintenance calories after having success at a deficit. I know it was for me. I too like that buffer; I could still feel okay with going over and know I'm not completely wrecking things (now, just for the record, I'm trying to drop back down after a little too much VERY comfortably going over such that I don't like how my pants are fitting these days, but that took many months to get to, so don't worry that issue just yet). Plus, if you want to lose a few more pounds, then just a nice gentle glide into a maintenance calorie intake would be just the thing.

Good luck!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    I did for a while the exact same thing for most of my first year on maintenance.. Now in my second year of maintenance, I am doing the maintenance calories on MFP. I did change the macros to meet my goals. I am also trying to get my exercise consistently higher daily. Also, trying to stick to a lot of variety in my diet - sources of protein, vegetables and such. I tend to eat the same thing every day otherwise.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    I am hovering. That's the best way to describe it. My initial goal was 160, then I went to 156, then 154. I did change MFP to only a 250 calorie deficit and I had been still losing, albeit very very slowly. But I recently started NROLFW and expect my weight to go up by a few pounds. I don't think having a 250 calorie deficit is such a bad thing, because there are usually one or two days a week where I might go over by that much. I too am older and worry about back sliding. I don't feel deprived at all.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Nope. if I go over my maintenance calories one day I just eat a little under the next few days.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    I upped my calories, but also switched to TDEE for my maintenance. I find it easier to just have the same amount of calories to eat per day no matter what.

When I tried maintenance with the standard MFP settings, I kept losing even though I set my calories at maintenance according to the MFP calculations. I set my TDEE using the online calculator at IIFYM, and that seems to be working. I also don't fret going over by a bit once in a while - I am maintaining in a range, and if I actually gain a pound or two I will still be comfortably in that range.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I upped my calories, but also switched to TDEE for my maintenance. I find it easier to just have the same amount of calories to eat per day no matter what.

When I tried maintenance with the standard MFP settings, I kept losing even though I set my calories at maintenance according to the MFP calculations. I set my TDEE using the online calculator at IIFYM, and that seems to be working. I also don't fret going over by a bit once in a while - I am maintaining in a range, and if I actually gain a pound or two I will still be comfortably in that range.

MFP's calculations for maintenance for me seems to be off. I eat on average 300 calories more than it says, which is more in line with the TDEE calculators mentioned above. I've been using the food entry database to track my macros and micros. Not all the time, but lately when I hit my goals for micros and my protein micro, I pretty much stop entering what I eat.

I've started a bulk, and I'm discovering that to gain even a pound a month, I'm increasing my calories more and more. It's kind of amazing what happens when you allow your body more fuel. Your body actually likes it.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Has anyone not upped their set MFP calories for maintenance to avoid overeating? I had less than 10 lbs to lose but have really enjoyed having MFP available to track my eating and exercise. I had it set to lose .5 lbs a week, so my deficit was only 250 a day calorie wise. I've been eating a lot healthier and exercising more and have reached the weight my body seems to like that I'm also happy with. My main goal now is to just continue this lifestyle, maybe exercising a little more and just toning what I have now.

It just gives me peace of mind to have my calories set at that .5 lb loss a week. Overall I still try to stick with the calorie goal because it would be nice to lose just a couple more pounds, but I feel way less guilty if I go over because I know I'm not at a surplus for the day. There are still days where I'm at a surplus even for maintenance, but I don't beat myself up for it because I know it's balancing out with the rest of my days where I'm at a deficit by just meeting the calorie goal. I feel like I play a mental game trying to be right at my goal, and if I have the goal still set at a deficit, that goes away and makes me feel more at ease.

Maybe I'm just weird, but does anyone else work this way?

If you are weird then I am too.

Your post (s) struck a chord with me. I am within about 10 lbs of where I want to be (and where I think I can maintain sensibly and happily) and I've started to think about how to transition to maintenance. I plan on doing exactly what you've done.

I have a family history of EDs and I want my focus to be on living a healthy lifestyle, enjoying food (I never ate badly just too much) but not counting counting counting calories. For me it works. It might not be perfect but if I'm happy and healthy then that suits me just fine. And I'd rather be where I am than where I was.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    I didnt at first and went about three months with MFP at the same net intake i had when loosing, however after a while I noticed I was still loosing steadily, guess it was because i was so used to logging and trying not to surplus on here so few weeks ago i weighed and redone my stats again and its working well for me now, its weird seeing a higher figure but it still allows me to eat at a deficit at times I feel I need to and it also keeps me accountable not to ever go over that number because that would be a mega surplus for me. :P
    Guess do whatever works for you, i'm still learning but have been steadily maintaining now...gosh used to think if i loose this weight it will all be fine but maintaining is the tricky part.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Does anyone else hate it when you have to open a new tab to look up the latest acronym?

I have passed my goal, but am just going to add about half the distance between by net calories and average daily burn which is currently about 250. I will see how that works.
    I am hovering. That's the best way to describe it. My initial goal was 160, then I went to 156, then 154. I did change MFP to only a 250 calorie deficit and I had been still losing, albeit very very slowly. But I recently started NROLFW and expect my weight to go up by a few pounds. I don't think having a 250 calorie deficit is such a bad thing, because there are usually one or two days a week where I might go over by that much. I too am older and worry about back sliding. I don't feel deprived at all.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    When I switched to maintenance I was unable to eat at maintenance level calories due to my horrific fear of regaining the weight. Additionally I was having stomach problems that made it hard to eat much.

I'm still struggling to eat at maintenance level on a daily basis.

I've been labeled has having "disordered eating". I'm not a huge fan of labels but I did finally have to acknowledge that I've got some issues with food.

I'm not saying that's your issue. But just keep an eye on what you're doing and focus on why you aren't eating at maintenance level if you are at the maintenance stage.

The funny thing for me is that I had a totally healthy attitude about food while losing the weight. I was not rigid about sticking within calorie counts, just really focused on nutrition and making the calories count, rather than just counting calories. It wasn't until I lost it all that it became an issue for me...
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    You know you best, so do what works. Awareness is always a good thing, accountability helps to keep us aware. Congrats on reaching your goal!!!!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    If it works for you then what more can you ask. The whole weight loss/ maintenance, is as you say, a mental game. Your finding your way in a different set of circumstances. I hope when I get there I will be cautious like you, we have come too far to take risks.