Type of Protein shake for me

Options
I'm 21 years old,180 lbs( was 198 before i started working out 2 months ago ) and my height is 5'9
I wanted to know which type of protein shake is good for me.
My main goal right now is to lose fat but also maintain muscle.
I work out fasted in the mornings.
Lifting in the mornings and cardio(bicycling) in the evenings.
And also please suggest if the shake is a pre or post workout and which one is better and why ?
My trainer suggested 'Isopure' but I'm not sure if its the right thing for me

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you can get enough protein through real food that is the best way. A protein shake will not do anything magical or make you lose more fat. They are simply a supplement to have when you will not reach your protein goals through food alone.

If you want to have a protein shake because you aren't reaching proper protein amounts through real food go for whatever one you like best. Read labels, see what price points you are comfortable with and find one with a type of protein you prefer (whey, egg, soy, hemp, etc).
  • Dechant63
    Options
    I agree you only need it if you can't get your protein intake through food. I've tried lots of different ones. I stick to Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Double rich chocolate. Only one I don't get sick of the taste.
  • Deroboy
    Deroboy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have used a fairly wide range of protein powders, and the one I have settled on is Dymatize ISO 100 whey protein (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey come a close second). Per 28g scoop, Dymatize has 24g protein and 0g of carbs or fat, tastes and mixes great as well.

As for when to take the shake, definitely immediately (well within 1 hour) after your workout. Research has shown that maximum muscle protein synthesis is stimulated by a protein intake of 20g post-workout, followed by another 20g 2 hours after that. These protein intake need to be fast absorbing (whey, egg whites etc) varieties to ensure they rapidly reach the required areas.

Of course you don't 'need' to use a protein powder specifically, but I find them a very efficient, convenient and portable way to obtain the necessary protein intake I require.

Also make sure you are eating enough carbohydrates to fuel the training you are doing, particularly as you are training twice per day. Insufficient stored carbohydrate energy in the working muscles (glycogen) will cause the muscles to switch to the next most convenient energy source available, muscle protein.

Good luck.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    As for when to take the shake, definitely immediately (well within 1 hour) after your workout. Research has shown that maximum muscle protein synthesis is stimulated by a protein intake of 20g post-workout, followed by another 20g 2 hours after that. These protein intake need to be fast absorbing (whey, egg whites etc) varieties to ensure they rapidly reach the required areas.

not true
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Obviously food is the best choice, but protein shakes are used more for convenience. Whey or Whey isolates. I have tried a variety of brands. My by far favorite is Beverly international UMP, others that are good Musclefarm banana, Syntha 6 strawberry , Optimal Nutrition Whey. Cyto sport whey Isolate, Eas isn't too bad Either you can pick that up at Sams Club.
  • Deroboy
    Options

not true

I can show you the peer-review scientific journal article if you'd like ('Daytime pattern of post-exercise protein intake affects whole-body protein turnover in resistance-trained males', Moore et al 2012). The study trialled various protein intake patterns following resistance training and this intake was shown to be that which facilitated the greatest and most prolonged amount of muscle protein synthesis and result in a positive nitrogen balance.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like the Dymatize Elite XT one...is very low calories has a high amount of protein and nutrients and also long acting protein. Is FDA approved which is the best thing so you know its a safe one. Its been on the market a long time with body builders etc. I like the Banana Nut one best, right now am doing the blueberry muffin one. I mix it with Lactose free milk,Matcha Green Tea powder which also helps with losing weight and is super high in antioxidants, and fresh fruit. I just drink a shake for breakfast because that is my busiest time of day. But I eat a normal lunch and dinner.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

not true

I can show you the peer-review scientific journal article if you'd like ('Daytime pattern of post-exercise protein intake affects whole-body protein turnover in resistance-trained males', Moore et al 2012). The study trialled various protein intake patterns following resistance training and this intake was shown to be that which facilitated the greatest and most prolonged amount of muscle protein synthesis and result in a positive nitrogen balance.

You could show me about 9 million not credible studies and peer review scientific journals - i'd still tell you, that you are wrong. I don't even want to go dig up credible resources, anyone here who is a bodybuilding nut that isn't from the 60's will tell you the same thing I am.
  • Deroboy
    Options

not true

You could show me about 9 million not credible studies and peer review scientific journals - i'd still tell you, that you are wrong. I don't even want to go dig up credible resources, anyone here who is a bodybuilding nut that isn't from the 60's will tell you the same thing I am.

A peer reviewed scientific journal is THE credible source of information. I'm not sure where you get your information from, but if it's from a website or weight-lifting magazine, don't bother with it.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

not true

A peer reviewed scientific journal is THE credible source of information. I'm not sure where you get your information from, but if it's from a website or weight-lifting magazine, don't bother with it.

Lyle McDonald and Layne Norton, and i'd listen to them over anything you could ever tell me. What you said is bro-science nonsense, get out of here bro.
  • Deroboy
    Options

not true

Lyle McDonald and Layne Norton, and i'd listen to them over anything you could ever tell me. What you said is bro-science nonsense, get out of here bro.

Yeah that says it all really, "I listen to what these two have to say and refuse to believe anything else". Very narrow sighted view. Too many people spouting personal beliefs as science these days (about a whole range of subjects) is confusing and confounding the actually facts.

Anyway, I think we hijacked the thread a bit here with our bickering. Obviously we are not going to see eye-to-eye so I will leave it at that.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

not true

Yeah that says it all really, "I listen to what these two have to say and refuse to believe anything else". Very narrow sighted view. Too many people spouting personal beliefs as science these days (about a whole range of subjects) is confusing and confounding the actually facts.

Anyway, I think we hijacked the thread a bit here with our bickering. Obviously we are not going to see eye-to-eye so I will leave it at that.

Alan Aragon, Layne Norton, Lyle McDonald, Eric Helms, etc. There is a reason they are at the top of the pyramid. Look them up.
  • vikramtag
    vikramtag Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you can get enough protein through real food that is the best way. A protein shake will not do anything magical or make you lose more fat. They are simply a supplement to have when you will not reach your protein goals through food alone.

If you want to have a protein shake because you aren't reaching proper protein amounts through real food go for whatever one you like best. Read labels, see what price points you are comfortable with and find one with a type of protein you prefer (whey, egg, soy, hemp, etc).

Can i just have it on days I dont reach my protein goal ? or is it really the pre and post work out stuff that matters ? For example I realise I dint consume enough protein through the day at dinner time ..can i have it then ?
  • vikramtag
    Options

not true

What is your opinion about it then ?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

not true

Have a protein shake whenever you want a protein shake.. that's my opinion.
  • vikramtag
    Options

not true

So whenever can be post work out also right ? so ill do that .
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

not true

So whenever can be post work out also right ? so ill do that .

Could be post workout, pre-work out, DURING the workout, could be after a 5 hour drive, it does not matter when.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What type of protein shake is best for you depends on a few things. Whey protein is generally the least expensive and is a very good quality, easily absorbable protein. Unless you are vegan or have dairy allergies, I'd go with whey.
    Some varieties are loaded with artificial sweeteners, flavours, etc. I personally try to avoid as much artificial junk as I can, so I choose products sweetened with stevia or actual sugar rather than artificial sweeteners. Be sure to read the labels before you buy.

You should always follow up your workouts with a snack that contains protein, a few carbohydrates, and fluids (water, milk, juice). A protein shake works well for this, but of course there are lots of other post-workout snacks that would be acceptable. I like low-fat milk and a banana or a few slices of turkey, raw veggies, and a big glass of water.

You can enjoy a protein shake anytime of the day. Some people have a protein and fruit smoothie for breakfast, or as a mid-day snack. I often have them in the evening if I noticed I've been low on protein during the day.
  • savvybrook
    Options
    I always get the individual things of Muscle Milk. You can get them at walmart or hyvee. They come in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and I just found banana and cookies n cream. They high in protein, low in carbs, fat, and sugar.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There are no special protein shakes for building muscle or losing fat or pre workout or post workout. They're just nutrition in a blender. They have carbs, fat, protein, and calories just like anything else you eat. The only thing written on the container that is relevant is the Nutritional Facts panel. Everything else is marketing. The only other thing that matters is how it tastes to you and whether the price is reasonable.