Tips on getting enough protein needed....

Options
Now that I am logging my food consistently, it's time for me to take the next step which is to get my macros in the right categories.

I'm not getting enough protein.

What tips do you have?

TIA

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least some protein at every meal. Eggs (sometimes the whole egg, sometimes just the egg white), Greek yogurt, and cheese are my go-tos for snacks.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you currently getting? How much are you trying to get? What are you currently eating for protein?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I love Built Protein Bars, and I reach my protein goal every day since I’ve been eating them.
    110 calories, 15g protein.
    They come in a lot of flavors. The best description of them, someone on MFP described, is kind of like a Milky Way candy bar. They are covered in dark chocolate and chewy. I think they are only available online.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I maintain a mental list of different protein sources and their respective fat ratios and try to match up the protein source I can best fit into my calories for each meal to maintain balance. Sometimes I crave cheese but then need to prop up the balance with a very low fat protein source like egg whites or whey protein, and sometimes I've been eating raw veggies all day and need to go after something heavier like ground beef to balance out both my caloric load and my protein. I find that having a list of options in both my fridge and on paper helps me compile meals more easily without getting too far into the weeds with minutia or exasperation when I'm hungry.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", currently 127 lbs, slowly transitioning to maintenance while losing the last 5 or so pounds. As a pescatarian who mostly eats vegetarian, I found that my protein was barely adequate when I started here on MFP. I now shoot for 70 - 100 grams. Non-fat plain Greek yogurt and a few protein powders have helped a lot. I'm also eating fish a little more and incorporating more vegetarian protein, paying extra attention to the balance of calories and protein.

My diary is open to friends if you are interested. I always welcome new friends with open diaries, sound eating habits, and a willingness to provide mutual support.
  • tohyidrive
    tohyidrive Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find chicken the best option. Quick, versatile, delicious and high in protein. Can bake with veggies, stir fry with veggies, etc. Sometimes I buy a whole bird from the rotisserie, just don't eat the skin and aim for the breast.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I do the rotisserie chicken thing, too, and make sure I have double portions of chicken when I cook it other ways, too. Boiled shrimp is like the miracle protein source, too, so we have it boiled and I freeze extra to throw in salads. I’ve also started buying deli chicken and roast beef. I roll it up into tight rolls and eat it like a cheese stick. Two decent sized slices are roughly two ounces and usually around 70 calories. I supplement with a protein bar if I haven’t hit at least 100 grams. Yesterday I had a tuna sandwich for a mid afternoon snack.

My problem, however, is opposite of yours. I have a hard time getting carbs and particularly fats up to suggested levels. I know the carbs are becoming a problem because I do a ton of hot mat classes, and I have read that sweat that smells like ammonia means you’ve burned through your available carbs and are burning proteins. Good lord, I smell like the janitors closet after a workout. I seem to get about half my daily fat macros as well. Even if I save a quarter of my daily calories and go get a honking giant gourmet s’more for a treat, it barely makes a dent in recommended carbs and fats.

Me, of all people, having too low of carb and fat issues. SMH.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is by far the best choice for protein. Do the math. Excepting only supplement powders which are, after all, a giant experiment (never conducted before) in food safety.
  • KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. When I heat up certain leftovers, I pour in egg whites. When I make scrambled eggs, I add extra egg whites.

In the snacking mood? Have some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese in the fridge.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    KevinWH87 wrote: »
    Egg whites. When I heat up certain leftovers, I pour in egg whites. When I make scrambled eggs, I add extra egg whites.

In the snacking mood? Have some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese in the fridge.

I add egg whites to my morning oatmeal
  • rebeccahetrick
    rebeccahetrick Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find using protein powder in some things helps alot if you're having as much trouble as I do. If you can handle dairy, cottage cheese is a good way to go too. Nuts beans seeds and meat/fish are also good. Almond meal is another good way to go. If you don't eat animal products there are vegan powders, tofu, and again beans, nuts and seeds.