Real FOODies!

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Actually, the $140 isn't including meat. Probably more like $200 with chicken and fish.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Ok- Firstly, I completely agree with all this. The only time I use sweeteners, is in my coffee. I like the taste of splenda better than sugar.

Secondly, I eat very well. All organic, natural foods, and some meat (sorry, I'm a carnivore). But we spend about $140 a week on food for 2 adults and one child. Maybe its because we live in New York City???? How on earth can you eat like kings on $50 a week???? My organic pears are 2.59 a lb!!!!

Considering you eat meat, thats not too bad at all.

I'm new to the farmers market, but that is the greatest thing EVER!

I got fruits and veggies for the week for under 20 bucks! Not to mention my daughter and I have made it a Saturday morning routine. So we bond and have a fun, educational time. We chat with the farmers, even buy flowers. She chose a mint plant to decorate her room. Hey, it was 2 bucks, she like to eat the leaves, it smells nice....

Also, I noticed that the organic farmer did not have higher prices than the other farmers. I thought that was awesome! I didn't compare all of the prices, but for the most part, they were all the same.

I've gotten into the habit of cooking big batches of rice and quinoa for the week. I chop up veggies, fruits if needed and put em in the fridge so we just grab and go. If I need a quick meal, I've got a base already, just gotta toss it together and grab a fork.

Of course, being Vegan is super cheap. Rice, beans, veggies. Nutritious, cheap, and easy. The challenge is in creating a million different varieties and it is so possible and fun!

Try one or two meatless meals per week and not only is it budget friendly, but healthy, eco-friendly, and even fun just to try new things. Its not always about rice and beans either. (I just LOVE rice and beans)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Actually, the $140 isn't including meat. Probably more like $200 with chicken and fish.

Check this site out.

http://www.localharvest.org/

You can find a market near you. The prices are lower, food is better, and local.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Food is something I DO like to devote my financial resource to. There's certainly ways to save, but there's no way it's something that should be some game of "gee, how little can I spend on my monthly food bill" - that's more like saying "gee, how much processed crap can I buy for as little as possible with coupons?"

believe me, there's a way to accomplish both spending very little and getting the very best. but not on each individual item. (for instance my eggs are $7/doz; milk $6/gal, but everything else is inexpensive (no meat) and, more-often-than-not, organic. if a person wants it bad enough, they'll find a way. we spend about $40-$50/wk on food, whole food, not processed for 2 adults. we really do eat like kings! real kings!

would love to see your weekly list
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Meat in the MidAtlantic region isn't too horrible, price-wise, but you're going to be better off buying it in bulk (i.e. 1/4 to whole animal) vs. the packaged or case varieties at whole foods...

From local farms, cost of ground beef, chuck:
    Grass fed, grain finished, Eastern PA, local - $1.85/lb
    100% grass fed, Eastern PA , local - $2.80-$4.30/lb

Buying from the local meat market:
    Grass fed, grain finished - $2.99/lb

I pay $4 per whole chicken, locally. Pay around $6-7 per pound for lamb. If I had the resource, I'd probably raise and slaughter my own livestock. Not kidding.

I did the vegetarian thing for a while based on "cost" but that didn't work out so well for me... So now my grocery bill is about double what it was. C'est la vie.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    You were typing basically what I was typing! It's a Vulcan Mind Meld here. :laugh:

we might be soul sisters.

i buy all dry beans (so much more economical!) and i also make veg. stock out of whatever can be salvaged. what can't goes right into the bin. fortunately, my apartment has a backyard where i grow tomatoes, lettuce (in spring & fall) and a variety of perennial herbs.

in nyc strawberries should be out of season now - blueberries are coming in to full swing! blackberries soon to follow. i'm going picking on friday for the blueberries. at the farm i use they're about $1.10/lb pyo. i usually get about 10-15lbs for the year. it's pretty remarkable, really, how much one saves by putting a little extra effort into it.

having said that, not everybody enjoys doing it this way and even those who do, don't always have the time. sometimes it's hard for me to find the time as well (i work a number of part time jobs... i'm guessing, but i think it's at 7 now), but since i stopped watching tv (years ago) i found myself with an abundance of time to make yogurt, breads, cheese and cook amazing healthy food. my body reaps all the benefits!
  • kayemme

i haven't updated in about 3 weeks, but you can see examples at http://scratch.kerimarion.com
  • leavinglasvegas

i haven't updated in about 3 weeks, but you can see examples at http://scratch.kerimarion.com

I would just like to point out that I am very glad to have come across you on this site!

I enjoy reading your blogs and posts. And you are a living breating example of what is possible when it comes to food. You have become a very valuable source of info.

I love your truth. It just is what it is and I respect that so much. I consider you a teacher.
  • kayemme

I pay $4 per whole chicken, locally. Pay around $6-7 per pound for lamb. If I had the resource, I'd probably raise and slaughter my own livestock. Not kidding.

i'm not morally opposed to eating meat, but my boyfriend is a vegetarian and has been for well over 20 years. so that pretty much makes me a vegetarian, too, except sometimes i opt for meat when we go out which is almost nonexistent, but does happen occasionally.

your meat costs don't sound exorbitant. here in providence we have a "fresh" meat market. i went in once, and it was all very clean and humane except i didn't like that the fowl were in cages. i don't have a reasonable answer on how to avoid or change it, i just didn't like it. so it turned me off on eating meat for a while.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Meat in the MidAtlantic region isn't too horrible, price-wise, but you're going to be better off buying it in bulk (i.e. 1/4 to whole animal) vs. the packaged or case varieties at whole foods...

I did the vegetarian thing for a while based on "cost" but that didn't work out so well for me... So now my grocery bill is about double what it was. C'est la vie.

Although I choose not to eat animals, I honestly respect those who take the approach of buying from local farmers or even raising their own.

In my opinion, if your going to eat something, you should be able to hunt/gather it yourself. I'm not all insane over animal rights, as I get the human history and the need for eating animals. Of course, theres no need to torture animals or shoot them up with hormones and antibiotics. I stand in on the animal rights in that aspect. It just makes more sense to me that if its meant to be, you can do it on your own. Like if your lost in the woods, your going to starve if all you know is big macs and nuggets. You have to be aware of where you food comes from and willing, if neccessary, to get it on your own. I know, that just came out of nowhere.....
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    real food is awesome!!!

I am working on a raw food way of life. I love it. Working toward 100% I think I am getting pretty close to it.

No processed or cooked food.

This started a couple months ago when I realized that I can not have dairy or soy, (bad things happen)
    So being that those two things are in sooooooooooooooo many things I figured if I just at raw that I would not have any problems.

I visit the farmers market every thursday and look forward to it. I schedule other thing around going to the farmers market.

I use my juice and or blender EVERY day. Fresh juice drinks, fruit or veggie..... with the blender I make smoothies and cold soups.
    It is so fun.
  • kayemme
    real food is awesome!!!
    I visit the farmers market every thursday and look forward to it. I schedule other thing around going to the farmers market.
    I use my juice and or blender EVERY day. Fresh juice drinks, fruit or veggie..... with the blender I make smoothies and cold soups.
    It is so fun.

i would love to try some of your raw food recipes, if you have them somewhere. i use my food processor CONSTANTLY.

it's the one kitchen tool i really can't live without. my last fp broke down about 2 months ago, and i thought "okay, i'll just try it this way for a while." but i broke down last week and bought a kitchenaid food processor (because i couldn't justify the mixer).

in the summer we grill a lot, then blend up the grilled vegetables and use them for soup or sauce... it's a pretty sweet world.
  • leavinglasvegas
    I have got to get me a juicer!

When its hot, I'm not so hungry or into cooking. I don't have AC. I'd just rather eat cold soups, juices, raw fruit/veggies. It just feels natural, so I accept that it is.

Does anybody have a yummy cold soup recipe that does not star the amazing tomato? (I'm allergic to tomatoes and I miss them O so much:sad: )
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Chiming back in on the cost of food...

I'm getting into canning. Right now while all these awesome veggies and fruits are fresh and at their peak I'm loading up and canning them. Then in the winter when they aren't bountiful and the farmer's market is closed, I can pop open a jar of my local green beans/peaches/tomatoes whatever and have a nice healthy meal that I know what's in it. I can make a ton of beans and soups/stocks to have on hand when I need them.

I got a pressure canner for $80. It's well worth the investment and it'll last me a long time.

So there are ways to stretch your dollar and not load up your freezer too! :)
  • TropicalKitty
    I have got to get me a juicer!

When its hot, I'm not so hungry or into cooking. I don't have AC. I'd just rather eat cold soups, juices, raw fruit/veggies. It just feels natural, so I accept that it is.

Does anybody have a yummy cold soup recipe that does not star the amazing tomato? (I'm allergic to tomatoes and I miss them O so much:sad: )

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/cold-summer-soups/Detail.aspx

Here are a few to get you started, just scroll about half way down
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Food is something I DO like to devote my financial resource to. There's certainly ways to save, but there's no way it's something that should be some game of "gee, how little can I spend on my monthly food bill" - that's more like saying "gee, how much processed crap can I buy for as little as possible with coupons?"

believe me, there's a way to accomplish both spending very little and getting the very best. but not on each individual item. (for instance my eggs are $7/doz; milk $6/gal, but everything else is inexpensive (no meat) and, more-often-than-not, organic. if a person wants it bad enough, they'll find a way. we spend about $40-$50/wk on food, whole food, not processed for 2 adults. we really do eat like kings! real kings!

I agree.

I subscribe to a CSA, in which I made a lump sum payment and then $40.00 per month and I get my weekly share delivered right to my door every Wednesday.............So, fresh veggies, fruits, raw nuts and fresh cut wild flowers are in my box every week. What we aren't going to be able to eat I either give to my neighbors, sister or donate to a church to help someone's family that is less fortunate than ours.

I get my meat from a local meat market that gets their beef, pork, chicken and eggs from local farmers that live within a 50 mile raidus of St Louis.

So the majority of my food all comes from local and organic sources!!!
  • kayemme
    I got a pressure canner for $80. It's well worth the investment and it'll last me a long time.

i'm going to can all my tomatoes this year. i have (at least) 25 heirloom plants in full bloom right now!! (so excited)

we should start a canning club! this will be my first year and i'm doing water bath canning (for high acid foods). mostly it's for the tomatoes, but possibly some pickles and maybe a couple other things.

for the past three years i've frozen everything... there were points where my freezer was so full that it was like a game of tetris to get the door to shut. ha!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I spend a LOT of money on food. My family lives in the city, we have an extremely cramped house and every square inch is utilized. Taking something out of the freezer (vertical) is like a Jenga puzzle, lol.

So...I buy quite a bit of organic food, 'green' products, and use very little in the way of processed goods. Unfortunately, I work two jobs to make ends meet and with my three children, have very little time to can, grow, and make complicated things from scratch. But still, we eat healthily and natural and REAL food. I just bought an ice cream maker because I detest the crud the manufacturers put in them and can't afford the organic/natural ones. But I have no place to put the darn thing! lol.

Every week, I go to the organic market, the farmers market, the grocery store, and the dollar store. It takes 3+ hours to do my shopping because I want antibiotic free, free range meat and dairy, pesticide free veggies and fruit, cheap recycled paper products, and ocasionally...organic chicken nuggets for the kids or rice shreds for hubby. Mostly, our dinners are basic...chicken, beef, eggs, and fresh veggies, accompanied by the rare pasta/rice/potatoes. Desserts are homemade usually and we only have them on special occasions. I do buy processed cereal (Kashi), waffles (Van's) and tortilla's (Mission). I use sandwich meat and cheese (applegate-non-cured, no antibiotics) to make a wrap for my lunch every day.

In our house, cooking is an adventure! I'd love to have more time for it, but working 55 hours a week doesn't leave much for experimenting.
  • TropicalKitty

i'm going to can all my tomatoes this year. i have (at least) 25 heirloom plants in full bloom right now!! (so excited)

we should start a canning club! this will be my first year and i'm doing water bath canning (for high acid foods). mostly it's for the tomatoes, but possibly some pickles and maybe a couple other things.

for the past three years i've frozen everything... there were points where my freezer was so full that it was like a game of tetris to get the door to shut. ha!

Yes! I'm sure there are other canners here! It's my first year as well - other than making jam last year. Perhaps we should try a spin off thread...We could get more people in on it and help other people who have jigsaw freezers! (Mine is jam packed right now too)

As for the tomatoes, remember to add lemon juice to the jars to help in the preservation and to increase the acidity (it's like a 1/4tbsp per quart I think..?). I think www.pickyourown.org has a good step-by-step for how to deal with the 'maters and a lot of the other veggies we here have been talking about.

EDIT: started a thread called Canning Club! Join me if you guys like :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    What is a CSA?
This discussion has been closed.