HALP! strength training 3x/wk and calorie adjustment

Options
2»

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough protein, cut down on sugar and carbs. Unused carbs turns into sugar, therefore turns into fat. You should talk to your trainer and ask him what you should eat for calories, as he/she knows the routine you are on, but NEVER eat your calories back if you are trying to lose weight, you will just be maintaining the weight you are at right now.

You don't need to cut down on sugar, and sugar does not turn to fat - if you are in a caloric deficit nothing turns to fat.

Carbs and sugar are the same thing... never understood why they are listed separate.

I was always under the impression it was calculated grams (protein/fat) per kilogram of bodyweight?

I'm not sure what question you're asking in response to? :D

but

1g of protein per lb of bodyweight (0.82 if you really want, 1 is just to be sure)
    0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight

those are the usual minimums unless extreme cases / advanced dieting techniques for bodybuilders
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

this is the kind of training i suggest :) but obviously it maybe limited if you cant get the equipment/go to a gym - endof the day something is better than nothing if you cant

Thanks for the info. :) I"m going to be looking into second hand equipment such as barbells and a bench.

Always after I complete the weight routine, I think to myself, wow this is amazing on one hand I do sweat doing it but it doesn't feel that hard. I'm used to doing intense cardio, HIIT workouts or my mountain biking where my heart rate is sky high alot of the time. I keep thinking, how can this really work?

Diet is where the weight loss happens, Weight training improves body composition and keeps muscle from breaking down.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what question you're asking in response to? :D

I was asking if you should convert pounds to kg for body weight. But just remembered I set my macros to my lean mass, rather than total body weight
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm going to defer to one of those TDEE calculators, the kind with the manual settings... it's probably going to give you a figure for maintenance calories that sounds unrealistic, but it's likely not. Figure your deficit based on that figure unless after a few weeks your scale is consistently coming up with numbers that it shouldn't be for weeks on end. In that case, you're probably one of the reasons they put a disclaimer on the numbers said calculator gives... adjust your calorie budget to match reality.